Exchange pub, Nottingham city centre

Looks about right Stuart, Theres a few 60's period pics, I'm sure your familiar..

What happened to picture the past on here? Copyright issues?

Noticed they stepped up their watermarks about a year ago, an honest summation at the lack of current content would be welcome.

Question   was this pub where the town girls worked from ?

One more Question  I seem to remember a pub near buy or it could have been the Exchange , when you went to the very back room of the pub on the walls they had horses, just like the one's that go up and down on one of the big Roundabouts at Goose Fair. Can any one remember these horses?  and which pub had them ?

2 minutes ago, mary1947 said:

I don't think so Mary, the back room was frequented by ladies of a different persuasion...   ;)

thanks Brew  these where the girls i spoke off, just wanted to put it down in a nice way.

I’m beginning to realise that my memory is failing me.  I used to frequent The Flying Horse regularly, always the pub to go to before moving on to a club, Hippo, Babel, 99.  Met my husband in there in 1972 too, it was his lucky day. 
I remember one of the bars was ‘Goose Fair Bar’, at least I think it was ..... like I say, my memories are a bit fogged!  That may be what Mary is thinking of when she mentions the fairground horses?   

LizzieM n  your a star thats the bar I can remember but where was it?  Maybe it was  in the Flying Horse Pub. Must addmit  memory is going but when you are mature ladies like us WELL ?????

On 2/26/2021 at 10:15 PM, Brew said:

I don't think so Mary, the back room was frequented by ladies of a different persuasion...   ;)

What year was this Brew?

I recall the Exchange as a Football pub.

what we called a 'towney' pub..

Innocently sat outside the Thurland one night, old geezer gets out his car, had to offer his 'Friend' a bundle of notes to join him inside.., about '82.

Waaay back HSR, it was in the early '60s when I roamed around the city centre drinking establishments. The front of the pub had an entirely different clientele to the rear bar. They were not ladies of negotiable affection. The Exchange was a Shipstones house so not one we used regularly. 

It may be the football crowd that made them feel uncomfortable and move to the Foresters but that's just a guess.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Exchange pub, Nottingham city centre
  • 3 months later...
On 2/26/2021 at 10:10 PM, mary1947 said:

One more Question  I seem to remember a pub near buy or it could have been the Exchange , when you went to the very back room of the pub on the walls they had horses, just like the one's that go up and down on one of the big Roundabouts at Goose Fair. Can any one remember these horses?  and which pub had them ?

Yes it was indeed reputed to have been the haunt of city totties (as ladies of the night used to be called).  Rumour also has it they used to leave their price ticket on the soles of their shoes.  I too recall the back room where they used to have a disco when we used to go in the early 80's though I don't recall any horses on the walls though that's not stating they weren't there of course. 

Another good pub that bit the dust

• Like 1