Whilst browsing Nottinghamlive I noticed there are a lot of planning applications to turn buildings into student flats. When I came back to Nottingham I was amazed at the number of buildings that are student flats, in some places it seems that every other building is. Obviously a cash cow project I presume.
In my “youff” when I had a flat in Forest Fields (loved living there except when the fair was on) there were students living there in shared flats/bedsits in that area. We had some move into the ground floor flat in the house next door, we got to know them they had magnificent parties! They didn’t have en suite bathrooms etc just roughed it like the rest of us with shared bathrooms/toilets. It was so good when we eventually moved to a self contained flat with our own bathroom especially as I was the only female in the whole house in my first flat so guess who ended cleaning the facilities. Anyway I digress. 
I have also seen an article about the amount of local people who are on waiting lists for housing which are quite long. Whilst appreciating that students do bring revenue to the City (as well as covoid) wouldn’t it be an idea to perhaps do something about this first? Perhaps it is a bit simplistic but I do believe you look after your “own” first and then anyone else. No doubt some will disagree with this.
I also noticed that some local people (think it was in Beeston) who were also worried about the amount of student accommodation being planned there - wonder if their opinions are taken into consideration or not? 
I appreciate the buildings are more suitable to becoming flats and It is better than knocking them down but surely there are local people who would appreciate them as much as students?

• Like 3