Factory at the corner of Haydn & Hucknall Roads

It's now called the Hartley Business Centre and is sublet to small firms. Does a Nottstalgian know who were the original occupants? I seem to recall it being The Metal Box Company but cannot be sure.

P.P Payne according to the thread below according to philmayfield

I know Paynes later moved from Sherwood to Giltbrook or thereabouts as we had a friend who  worked there and lived just down the road, Paynes laid on a bus from the old place for staff.
Metal Box may have been later.

PP Payne were on the corner of Hucknall Rd. and Haydn Rd. until they moved to Giltbrook. I passed it at least twice a day for 25 years as our factory, Moore and Company, was further down Haydn Rd. opposite Stag Furniture and formally occupied by Cooper Bros. Thomas Forman were right at the top of the hill on Hucknall Rd. towards Nottingham. Teasdale Garage was next door to PP Payne.

• Like 1

Alliteratively speaking, as I recall, P.P.Payne produced packaging products.  As a prolific passer-by on public transport, I  perpetually pondered the precise purpose of  packaging products P.P.Payne produced.

Also, as I recall there was a water pumping station on the corner opposite Paynes.  On a good day , from the upstairs of the bus, you could see into the pump house where there were what looked like steam driven pumping engines. outside was an ornamentally shaped pond.  Later, it was just a scruffy yard, with pipes and stuff piled up.  I've no idea what is there now.

P.S.  Wasn't there a bakery somewhere between P.P.Payne and Thos. Forman? Sunblest maybe? I recall we went on a visit there from Henry Whipple Junior. As we left, each of us kids was given a loaf of bread and a single 'fancy' cake.  Our teacher, a lady whose name I don't recall, was given a loaf of bread and a whole box of fancy cakes... That was when I learned my place in the pecking order...:laugh:

• Like 2

Went up Hucknall road the other day and was amazed to see new house's and flats that have been built on Sublest site and if I remember Forman Printing works>

My Uncle William Thomas Whyley (1920-2006) worked for P P Payne for many years. I believe he joined them when he was demobbed in 1945. He was in The Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers and fought at the battle of Monte Cassino in Italy.

He was a lifelong Notts County supporter as was his father also William Thomas.

BTW the smell of the baking bread from the old Turners (Sunblest) bakery was always delicious.

• Like 1

Sunblest again, when I were a Park ranger at Holme Pierrepont, every week we used to nip up to Sunblest to collect stale bread for the water fowl. We never left with less than two flower sacks full of bread, cakes and all manner of goods. Back at the park one of our rangers used to scrummage through the bags and would often surface with a fruit cake or sponge saying,"too good for the birds, only 3 days old. It'll do for us".

When we used to get a coach load of visitors, we always said they were just in time, as we were going to feed the birds, didn't matter when it was, the birds were always ready. One of us would jump on the coach with a sack full of bread and we would start the tour, calling at the nature reserve to feed. More often than not, the birds would be walking down the service Road to meet us. It was hilarious watching them turn round and fly after us. Our visitors always thought this was their special treat. Happy Days!

• Like 2

The Water Pumping Station opposite Payne's was apparently opened in 1857 and closed in the 1970s.  It was known as the Bagthorpe Works.

Links to more info here:  https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/manuscriptsandspecialcollections/collectionsindepth/water/cityofnottingham.aspx

I've had a look on street view and it is clearly still some sort of works or depot, quite possible still for water. Blue and white sign near the entrance but obscured by trees.  Would it be 'Severn Trent Water' now?

Bakery.  Turner's.. that's it!  There was also a Co-op Bakery somewhere.  Wasn't that bombed during WW2? Another name I recall is Blanchard's Bakery. 

2 hours ago, DJ360 said:

Bakery.  Turner's.. that's it!  There was also a Co-op Bakery somewhere.  Wasn't that bombed during WW2? Another name I recall is Blanchard's Bakery. 

DJ360, the Co-Op bakery bombed in WWII was on Meadow Lane. It's discussed on this forum if you search Co-op Bakery Bombing

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Beekay said:

collect stale bread for the water fowl

Aren't they always chuntering at us not to feed bread to birds on the grounds it's bad for them?

We’ve stopped buying supermarket sliced bread during the lockdowns. We only eat wholemeal but we now get Atherleys of Farnsfield bread from Fiskerton shop or the local farm shop. It’s ‘proper’ bread from a small bakery. We even slice it with the bread knife just like in the old days.

1 hour ago, Brew said:

Aren't they always chuntering at us not to feed bread to birds on the grounds it's bad for them?

Much as I agree Brew, try telling to the birds, in the depths of winter. But they had cake as well. We always made sure the bread was well watered before the birds got it. It's only dry bread they should eat. Sometimes it was covered in penicillin. 

I always liked the Thos. Forman building.  Very fine sight from the bus. I had a brief fling around 1970 ish with a young lady from Waldeck Rd. opposite Forman's.  I can still recall her surname and the full address.. She looked very much like the young Cherry Gillespie and caused quite a stir when I took her into my local...:)

I hope DJ360 that the young lady was not named Carol, as my sister in law did her trainning at Thos. Formans to become a printer.

Bread

Now I think that there is nothing  better than a  warm bagutte  (French of cause.)

Brids yes I feed the birds when it very cold and frosty,     

I give them a slice of fried bread, cut up, fat keeps them warm.

A hand full of nuts (chopped up )

Then for the Black Birds  a soft pear cut up. Gave them an apple once and they cocked there beaks up at it.

But what I like best is to watch them,  especialy the Black Birds,  one seems to want all the food and will chase the others away, but while he/she is away chasing another  BB with rush in pick up some food and dash away before he/she has a chance to see them.

:Vampire:

Don't worry Mary...  I always treated my girlfriends with the greatest of respect.  And while this one lived close to Formans, she didn't work there.  She worked as a Comptometer Operator... in Boowul.  I always wondered what a Comptometer Operator was.... until I found it was a sort of mechanical calculator. 

But whatever.. she was very beautiful.  My mate Picko tells me she is still around and he bumps into  her occasionally..

Memories...

12 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

Blanchards on main road through Watnall.  My father also worked there   :huh:

Your Dad seemed keen to earn a 'crust'....

Sorry.....:sorry: