Factory at the corner of Haydn & Hucknall Roads

On 3/2/2021 at 12:20 AM, DJ360 said:

Also, as I recall there was a water pumping station on the corner opposite Paynes.  from the upstairs of the bus, you could see into the pump house where there were what looked like steam driven pumping engines.

There were 2 rocking beam engines in those engine houses, the beams were at the top just under the roof. Each one had a flywheel about 25feet diameter, half of which were recessed in a big slot in the floor. The engines were built in the 1850s and installed when the station opened in 1857. They were still pumping water in 1957 when I had a school visit there. One of the engines was dismantled and erected at Wollaton hall museum.

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Further to DJ360 and other posts, yes, it was P P Payne. I lived near there from mid 1940's to early 1960's. Starting at the top of Hucknall Road was Thos Forman's printing works and next to it was what we kids called Forman's field. We used to sneak in there and explore the tunnels underneath. Anybody know what they were for?

Later, Turners built their bakery on Forman's field and I did loads of night shifts there. Later on, in college holidays, I drove their bakery lorries. 

Down from Turners there were about ten houses followed by the Co-op store on the corner of Teesdale Road. After Teesdale Road there was a sweet shop run by the "Misses P and F Legg". There then followed a gent's barber, Wm Frost's greengrocery, Mr Greasley's fish and chip shop and Slaney's garage.

Down from the garage was the Bairnswear factory where they made .... bairn's wear. Then came P P Payne, whose factory backed up to the sandstone cliff behind the gardens of some of the houses on Weardale Road. The cliff had loads of sand martin burrows in it.

I remember the pumping station and the sight of the shiny steel machinery moving up and down behind the doors.

Round the corner from P P Payne on the south side of Haydn Road were garages and other buildings belonging to Meridian and their main factory was opposite. Later, possibly in the 1970's, someone bought the garages and also the allotments behind them in order to build more commercial premises.

• Like 2

P P Payne where among the first if not the very first to produce plastic strapping tape we see everywhere. I had a  job interview with them once and after agreeing to set me on the guy turned and said "you know you'll never be managing director here don't you? With that attitude I never went back.

3 hours ago, MrKing said:

Further to DJ360 and other posts, yes, it was P P Payne. I lived near there from mid 1940's to early 1960's. Starting at the top of Hucknall Road was Thos Forman's printing works and next to it was what we kids called Forman's field. We used to sneak in there and explore the tunnels underneath. Anybody know what they were for?

Later, Turners built their bakery on Forman's field and I did loads of night shifts there. Later on, in college holidays, I drove their bakery lorries. 

Down from Turners there were about ten houses followed by the Co-op store on the corner of Teesdale Road. After Teesdale Road there was a sweet shop run by the "Misses P and F Legg". There then followed a gent's barber, Wm Frost's greengrocery, Mr Greasley's fish and chip shop and Slaney's garage.

Down from the garage was the Bairnswear factory where they made .... bairn's wear. Then came P P Payne, whose factory backed up to the sandstone cliff behind the gardens of some of the houses on Weardale Road. The cliff had loads of sand martin burrows in it.

I remember the pumping station and the sight of the shiny steel machinery moving up and down behind the doors.

Round the corner from P P Payne on the south side of Haydn Road were garages and other buildings belonging to Meridian and their main factory was opposite. Later, possibly in the 1970's, someone bought the garages and also the allotments behind them in order to build more commercial premises.

I once worked at Turner's & knew a bloke who worked at PP Payne's, small world.