Wages when you first went to work

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I worked at Bestwood colliery, my older brother, who worked in 'High Main', the seam above, he was called in the personnel office and was asked why he only worked four days a week? His answer...

I was thrilled to get my first wages in one of thoes brown envelips. As I was an Apprentice Hairdresser it did not amout to much.   £1 7/6   for a week for a lot of hard work.   10

When I started nursing I had to work 5 and a half days each week!  I seem to think that was 44 hours.  (but was often more than this for various  reasons) On nights, I remember I worked 9 days on

anyone remember Index Office Supplies formerley kenco office supplies ...or worked there...I was employed there 1976 to around 1981

anyone remember Index Office Supplies formerley kenco office supplies ...or worked there...I was employed there 1976 to around 1981

thought it was to do with coffee. welcome mammasue

• Upvote 1

I began my roofing carear with the ruberoid roofing co Egypt road Basford (nottingham road end)in 1957 at two shillings and sevenpence halfpenny an hour.

I began my roofing carear with the ruberoid roofing co Egypt road Basford (nottingham road end)in 1957 at two shillings and sevenpence halfpenny an hour.

my first job paid me ten pounds a week...just worked it out that u were on thirteen pence in todays currency ...lol per hour ...omg

• Upvote 1

Started work as a Junior Secretary in July 1967. For the first few months I was on £6 8s 6d and then my wage went up to £7 4s 6d. I remember how exciting it was to finally crack the £1000 a year barrier!

• Upvote 2

I remember doing a full shopping trolley of groceries at sainsburys when just got married and it cost £8 thought it was well expensive lol but look how much groceries cost now!

• Upvote 1

one thing seems clear plenty of jobs about. working for ruberoid roofing in those days if they ran short of work we'd be told to pack us bags

and go to another branch which was all over the country. I remember lodging boston lincs and the board being about 30 shillings a week. although today boston would be travelled to and fro.

one job comes to mind-left my house in Dunstan st. at 10 past 6am caught the Trent bus at 20 past to huntingdon st.ran across town to Granby st. for the midland general bus to ripley caught a bus from ripley market place to hill top at heage walked for about a mile past a pub called the Spanker to a place called heage firs i think it was a plastics firm. arrived at a quarter to nine and greeted by the foreman saying 'can't yuo get here any earlier?' did a days work left at half past four back to Dunstan st. all for eight hours pay. happy days!

A Charlesworth you were well off,in 1969 I got £3.1s.4d for a six day week starting at 07.30hrs and finishing at 17.00hrs Mon to Fri and 07.30hrs-13.00hrs on Saturday plus college Monday night 17.30hrs until 21.30hrs and Friday evening 17.30hrs til 21.30hrs

Although I did get a ten shilling a week pay rise when I was 17

Rog

Started September 1967 as a School Lab. assistant at Mundella Grammar School on 20pounds 5 shillings and sixpence a month. I was there until January 1968 ehen I transferred to St. Bernadette's on Sneinton Dale. Loved the job but the money was no good.

• 2 months later...

This is my pay slip from Xmas 1967. The pit was Moorgreen, where I was doing basic training as an apprentice electrician. I had a tax rebate that week and actually took home £6/2/0. With apologies for the mouse damage :)

Any more old pay packets out there?

scan0001.jpg?gl=GB

I started in 71 and got about £5.50 I think and paid £3.50 board at 15yr old. Did you know my dad as an instructor Ted Roe I think he's just started there after his accident at Annesley. I reckon everyone remembered Jack Streets tho

To be honest I can remember the faces of most of the instructors but not a single name. I moved on to Annesl;ey after Moorgreen, where I lasted until November 1969. I lived at 51 Byron Road in "The Rows".

• Like 1

With that twenty pounds and five shillings, I bought a beautiful Mohair suit from Lawrences down Hockley for about 12 quid. Later in the year, I bought a Raleigh Moped for a tenner. The least said about that heap of poo the better. I know I was a bit young in 1967/68 but for less than a quid you could get bus fare into town and back, twenty fags and a box of matches, 3 or 4 pints in the pub and a couple of bags of crisps and a ham roll. Sometimes a bag of chips on the way home. Mind you, at that age it didn't take much to get you Brahms and Liszt. My mum used to take 8 pounds a month board then give it me back in clothes.

• 6 years later...

I was thrilled to get my first wages in one of thoes brown envelips. As I was an Apprentice Hairdresser it did not amout to much.

£1 7/6   for a week for a lot of hard work.

10/- Board 

9/6 bus fare

!/6 morning ice skating

6d x 2 = 1/-  coke o cocola for both sessions.

1/6 afternoon skating session 

!/6   teen-bop Tue;s at Lacarno

!/6 new paiir of stockings.

I think this adds up to    £1  6/- 06d

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

£4/6/5d per week for working underground and on shifts, 1958.

Bilbraborn bus far to town from Bilborough was 6d.

£6.00 per week at a little back street TV repair shop in Basford. Five and a half days per week.

After 1 year they offered me a pound a week raise.

Went to college instead and lived happily ever after.

• Like 1

As I recall.. £6.12s. in Sept 1965 as an engineering apprentice for NCB, nominally attached to Linby, but spent most time at Arnold and Carlton College or the training centre in Watnall.  I didn't last long in that role and transferred to the Scientific Dept. at Cinderhill.  By the time I walked away in 1967, I'd reached the dizzy heights of £8.10s.6d p.w.

I got £4 working in Boots offices on Station Street where I trained as an audio typist which was the new thing in the 60’s. I was there for a year but hated it, got fed up of being told how good Boots were and the supervisor of our typing pool (do they still have them?) was a b***h so I left and went to Cavendish-Woodhouse for the princely sum of £4/10/0!

Not just wages      can you remember when you had to be of work 3 days before going for a sick note, and most of our GPs thought they were gods. 

Allso holidays we had to work a whole year before we could claim any holidays , training to be a hairdresser when you booked your holiday time off, you were only allowed 2 saturdays in a fortnight. So all of your friends could go away on a Saturday morning but you had to work till 4 00 or 5 00 before you could start your hoilday.

My first wage was £ 1.12.6. Yes you've guessed it apprentice hairdresser. I could never have a Saturday off until we got another apprentice. I could never go to friends weddings. Then I decided to put them in a situation where they couldn't say no. I booked  a 3 month holiday in USA to visit my penfriend. When I returned they'd taken me off their books so they had to re employ me. All in all they were good to work for.