Forster Street School 1950s

Hello,

I have been speaking to a gentleman who is looking for information about Forster Street School in 1950s.  His father was a teacher there and sadly passed in 1990.  

If anyone has any memories of this teacher or pictures which may be of interest to him, I am trying to put together some information to send to him.

Many Thanks

JD

Welcome Jendaw.

There are a number of old threads which mention Forster Street School. If you read through them you'll probably find a few posts which will be of interest.  Click on this link to see all the threads.

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/search/?&q=forster&page=1&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy

• 1 year later...

I was talking to a former primary school friend recently and he mentioned that, as a child, he visited family members who lived in Lonsdale Road, Radford. That reminded me of an older cousin of mine who married in 1960 and moved into a house in Forster Street which is the next street along, moving in the direction of Radford Boulevard.

I was only two or three years old at the time but I well remember going to see my cousin and recall that there were iron bollards at the end of one, or perhaps both, of those streets at their junction with Hartley Road. Does anyone else, perhaps Beekay, remember those? They aren't there now, of course, but I'm sure I haven't imagined them.

Sorry Jill, I'm afraid I can't help with this one. When I were a nipper living off Denman Street, back in the 50s, I wouldn't have any reason to venture around that area. However, travelled down Denman Street to the paddling pool at the bottom, (St.Peters street) so often traversed Forster Street. In fact, I were a regular visitor to Andersons pawn shop on the corner of Forster/Denman streets. I was more familiar with the streets between Denman Street and Ilkeston Road, I had relatives down that side. But when we moved to Kennington Road, I no longer had a reason to visit that area.

• Like 1

Thanks, Beekay.

I remember pestering my poor mother about those bollards and demanding to know why they  were there and what they were for!  I doubt we went there for very long because after my cousin and her husband had a daughter, in 1961, the marriage hit the rocks and they split up. I do recall once going there to pick up a cerise cardigan with mother of pearl buttons my cousin had knitted for me.  I recall being confused on that occasion because their house appeared to be on the wrong side of the street! In fact, we'd been to Garden Street first and called at my cousin's house on the way back, approaching her house from the other end of Forster Street.  I thought the house had been moved! Well, I was only three at the time!

• Like 1