That Lancaster now lives at East Kirkby airfield and is undergoing a full recommissioning. The intention is to get it back to full flying condition. You can have taxi rides in it at an enormous cost and I believe they are booked well into next year.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve just read that due to the closure of RAF Scampton the Red Arrows, who will now be hangared at RAF Waddington, will be doing their flying training over RAF Syerston in the new year. It looks like

Too fat to get in the seat, never mind Rog

An old friend of mine, John Pownall, of the scrap merchant dynasty, bought a Jet Provost some years ago which he kept at Tollerton. He was a part time flying instructor at the time and the chief instr

Quick story about the Lancaster gate guard at Scampton Mary, it had a Tallboy or Grand slam bomb under it to show what the Lancaster carried during the war,on removing said bomb before removing the plane it was found out the bomb was still LIVE, would have wiped out half the city of Lincoln if it gone off

Rog

Phil they have a Mosquito there now,they just fitted the engines to it and are hoping to taxi run that but I think without members of the public

Rog

5 minutes ago, plantfit said:

Phil they have a Mosquito there now,they just fitted the engines to it and are hoping to taxi run that but I think without members of the public

Rog

I must go and have a look at that. An uncle of mine used to fly them during the war and my old 'best man' and co-owner in our flying group used to be a navigator in Mossies. It looks like I've got a few aviation adventures lined up for September. If Catfan still has a PSV we could borrow a coach! :biggrin: 

• Like 1

If you go Phil make it on a Wednesday, thats the day they do the taxi runs with the lanc,might get lucky and they fire up the Mossie,Thorpe camp at Tattershall Thorpe is also open on Wednesdays until October,then call in at the Petwood hotel Woodhall Spa for a coffee or tea in the Dambusters officers mess, plenty of history there mate,I'll find a few pics and post them

Rog

• 4 months later...
On 8/21/2018 at 4:29 PM, philmayfield said:

That Lancaster now lives at East Kirkby airfield and is undergoing a full recommissioning. The intention is to get it back to full flying condition. You can have taxi rides in it at an enormous cost and I believe they are booked well into next year.

She is called 'Just Jane', and is privately owned. She is currently restricted to taxi runs, as the airframe is not airworthy, but the owners are trying to raise enough to get her flying again.

Before her days as 'gate guard' at Scampton, they had one of Barnes Wallis's blockbuster bombs there. Everyone assumed it wasn't filled, but when they came to remove it they discovered - it was! Nice mess that would have made of anything on the A15...

• Upvote 1

I watched The Dam Busters on CH5 the other afternoon, and never cease to be amazed at the bravery of the bombing crews. They knew that the chances of a safe return were pretty slim, but still continued their perilous sorties throughout the war. 

It was pleasing to see that CH5 had left the soundtrack in its original form, and had not muted or overdubbed certain words. 

9 hours ago, Fishfinger said:

She is called 'Just Jane', and is privately owned. She is currently restricted to taxi runs, as the airframe is not airworthy, but the owners are trying to raise enough to get her flying again.

Before her days as 'gate guard' at Scampton, they had one of Barnes Wallis's blockbuster bombs there. Everyone assumed it wasn't filled, but when they came to remove it they discovered - it was! Nice mess that would have made of anything on the A15...

£335 for a taxi run in Just Jane and fully booked until 2020. They do require the money though to get her flying again.

A bit off topic but where I worked in Doncaster was a place called Finningley across the road from the RAF base where Vulcan bombers were based at one time (it is now the Robin Hood Airport, bit cheeky that but Yorkshire is always trying to steal Robin Hood). We were told that a Vulcan bomber was doing the rounds of air bases they were stationed at to say goodbye and were allowed to go out of the offices across the road to see it fly by. It actually had “goodbye” on the bottom of the plane and passed almost right over us so low we could almost see the pilots. Although I am not a plane enthusiast and don’t know much about them it was a beautiful sight and quite emotional. I do understand there is a Vulcan at the airport which is being maintained at public expense which you can go and see. We also used to see the run through of the Finningley Airshow on the Friday before it took place on the Saturday. We used to see the Red Arrows on the Saturday as they would fly across the village we lived in during their display as well as many of the other planes. We never had to go as we saw it all for feee and you could not get out of our village into Doncaster as the traffic was horrendous.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Very often frequent Walkers Garden Centre at Blaxton just down the road. Great breakfast.

• Upvote 1

Know Walkers Garden Centre very well, passed it every day on way to work. When the place I worked at moved to Billingham and we were made redundant the office staff used to meet at the cafe every so often to keep in touch.  Loved the Highland Cattle they had in the field next to them

• Upvote 1

I'm afraid that the Highland cattle couple they had there were sadly put down about two or three years ago, as they had unfortunately developed arthritis. I asked one of the ladies on the tills if they were considering having any more, but alas, they aren't.

It is so sad, as every time we went, it was cafe first, then up to the top end to talk to the cattle.

We also go to the one further up the road at Branton. It's called Branton Farm GC, and isn't as well organised as Walkers, but I can invariably find something interesting, and the bird food is relatively cheap. Also, some unusual plants are found there.

Then, it's most likely on to Tickhill GC. This is nowadays almost a supermarket, but as usual, I always find something to spend my cash on !

• Upvote 1
  • 4 months later...

Whilst I was in Corfu last week there was a Bank Holiday celebrating the 1864 unification of the Ionian Islands with the rest of Greece. The islands were previously ruled by England and France.  There were marching bands, parades of locals in national costume and Boy Scouts marching through Corfu Town’s main square, it was lovely to see from our vantage point which was an outside table at a bar.   When the parade was over there was a terrific roar of a single military jet flying very low over the town.  I’ve posted on this thread because I’m convinced the pilot has been training with the Red Arrows, he flew so low and performed such fantastic acrobatics, it was absolutely amazing to watch.  Do any of you plane spotters recognise the type of plane this is?  

1-FEE728-D-D01-C-4-FA3-9-FC7-4307886-AA5CF4-BE15-B-0064-4-E3-C-842-F-1-C7-C63-E72-AE49922-FE97-45-BC-8-B58-0-D6-FA44-A89

• Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

Probably a Dassault Mirage 2000

Don't think so, the Mirage 2000 is a full delta wing, no tail plane...

I'd go for an F16 as in:

https://thedefensepost.com/2018/04/28/greece-upgrade-85-f-16-fighter-jets-viper/

• Upvote 1

Looks like F16 to me,took these at Waddington in 2011

Waddo_2011_015.jpg

Waddo_2011_019.jpg

USAF Fighting Falcons F16's

Rog

• Upvote 2

Interesting article Brew.  Whenever I’ve been to Corfu I’ve been intrigued by how close Albania is to the island.  They now do day trips over there and I’d really love to do that.  Just to have the opportunity of nipping in (and quickly out) of Albania is something not many folk have had the opportunity of doing in recent times.  We had a sailing yacht about 25 years ago and were in a storm off the north-east coast of Corfu, as close to Albania as you could get.  It was middle of the night, we slipped anchor, then the anchor got trapped in rocks and it was a terrifying night, not helped by the amount of alcohol we’d consumed that night. We ended up drifting in the channel between Corfu and Albania, worried that the ferry running from Corfu Town to Italy was going to plough through us.    We live to tell the tale thumbsup

• Upvote 1

We know a missionary family who have worked in Albania for several years.  We've known the husband since he was 3 years old and lived next door but one to us!   They have said that the Albanian people are very friendly, and they really enjoyed their years there.... 

When I sailed north past there on a cruise years ago. There was not one single light to be seen along the coast at night. Eerie.

• 1 year later...

Similar to last year it looks like we’re getting practice displays by the Red Arrows next week at RAF Syerston. Technically of course you will be breaking lockdown regulations if you go to view them!

The dates and times are 10th. March 9.30 - 10.15 and 12.15 - 13.05 and 11 March at the same times. Depending on weather conditions either or both displays may be cancelled. 
I’m fortunate that I can watch them from the garden as we have direct line of sight to the airfield but I’m not allowed to invite guests under present restrictions.

Just thought I’d tell you!

• Cliff Ton locked and unlocked this topic