• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve just read that due to the closure of RAF Scampton the Red Arrows, who will now be hangared at RAF Waddington, will be doing their flying training over RAF Syerston in the new year. It looks like

Too fat to get in the seat, never mind Rog

An old friend of mine, John Pownall, of the scrap merchant dynasty, bought a Jet Provost some years ago which he kept at Tollerton. He was a part time flying instructor at the time and the chief instr

Although no detailed air accident report has been published regarding the Vulcan wing failure, it was a rumoured somewhere that a leading edge wing panel came off during the fly-pass allowing air flow to ingress into the wing structure causing the external structure to expand, leading to that part of the wing to disintegrate. 

The secrecy revolving around the incident raises suspicion.  

When we lived in Woodthorpe we were under the flight path to the runway at Hucknall and the Vulcan came low over the house regularly. It was always a star act when I used to attend airshows. It was an awesome sight to see one climbing out on full reheat. I went to view the last flying one at Finningley a few years ago. 

I remember the Vulcan flying low over our house in Arnold, the first time was a bit scary, we’d never seen such a big wing span on a plane before.  The last time I saw one was at the Silverstone Grand Prix a few years ago.  An awesome sight. 

Went to an airshow at RAF Waddington probably early 70's.  The Red Arrows were of course the main attraction but three Vulcans took off together now that was a sight & sound not to be forgotten.

Read a book not long ago about the Vulcans sortie to the Falklands.  It's a good read and details, amongst other things, how parts of the planes were literally cobbled together.  The in flight re-fueling is also a revelation.

The son of a friend of mine was a Vulcan pilot and he took part in the Falklands war. Unfortunately because of engine problems he had to land in Brazil. I think it took a bit of diplomacy to get the aircraft released. One of his pilot colleagues at Waddington had family living just up the road in Rolleston. He did a low level beat up which rattled all the windows in the area. He got carpeted for that!

We had a ringside seat from the doorstep and they just cleared our poplar trees. Quite exiting but there were only 4 in formation and one solitary. Disappointing. It was more entertaining this afternoon watching a tree surgeon  from Western Power hanging from a rope at the back of our orchard cutting branches away from the power lines with a chainsaw.

You ought to have rung em up and ask them if they could run by again, only a lot slower please. I'm sure they'd oblige Phil.

I think with the Red Arrows you've got to be there, if you want pictures Google images is your friend thousands & thousand all looking the same, like when someone drags out there boring holiday snaps, here's another by the fountains :Fool:

To see pages & pages & pages of red planes with coloured smoke coming out the back all looking the same just click here  

• Upvote 2
  • 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

There will be an air display commencing at 13.00 local at RAF Syerston this Wednesday the 24th. for the air cadets who are on their annual camp. The Red Arrows are due to display at 16.25 but before that there will be Tornados, a Chinook, the Battle of Britain Memorial flight and possibly some USAF aircraft.

Have just checked and the Eastbourne show finishes today. So I assume they all go back to their respective bases and have a 'wash n brush up', before their next performance. Hope the skies stay clear for you sir.

• Cliff Ton locked and unlocked this topic