Looks like a fine day on Wednesday. Last year they did their low level display because of the cloud base. Nearly took the tops of our poplars! Their base at Scampton is only 5mins flying time from here. Later this year they are locating to nearby Waddington as Scampton is closing down, so they’ll probably use their same practice area. We regularly see them on our trips to Hemswell Antique Centre, also based on an old RAF airfield.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve just read that due to the closure of RAF Scampton the Red Arrows, who will now be hangared at RAF Waddington, will be doing their flying training over RAF Syerston in the new year. It looks like

Too fat to get in the seat, never mind Rog

An old friend of mine, John Pownall, of the scrap merchant dynasty, bought a Jet Provost some years ago which he kept at Tollerton. He was a part time flying instructor at the time and the chief instr

3 hours ago, philmayfield said:

There will be an air display commencing at 13.00 local at RAF Syerston this Wednesday the 24th. for the air cadets who are on their annual camp. The Red Arrows are due to display at 16.25 but before that there will be Tornados, a Chinook, the Battle of Britain Memorial flight and possibly some USAF aircraft.

Don't think the RAF have any Tornado's any longer since the Typhoons became the main platform Phil

Rog

Sounds like it's going to be a good day Phil,sadly I have to stay in for the day but I'll keep my tracker and scanner on and binoculars at the ready when they start to return home

Rog

It’s an annual event for the air cadet’s camp but it’s not publicised as the public aren’t allowed on the airfield. I usually learn about it on the local grapevine. I can then go to the published NOTAMS (notices to airmen) and get more precise details. Air displays are less frequent than they used to be. We even used to have one at Tollerton with visits from the Arrows when they flew Gnats.

I read recently that the Red Arrows have lost 2 pilots this year for being bad lads …… one drinking too much alcohol and the other for having an affair with a (female!) junior pilot.   So they’re down from 9 to 7 planes for their formations.  Apparently 2 senior guys were recruited for the Jubilee fly past in June.

We’re hoping to see them at the Bournemouth Air Show at the end of the month.  We won’t bother going into Bournemouth, too much hassle,  but we should see them, and other planes, flying right in front of us over Poole Harbour.  I’ve read that the Arrows will be flying on all 4 days of the Festival, I’m already excited as I love planes.  

• Like 1

We’re at the annual British Midland Spirit fly in at Bidford on Avon gliding club on Wednesday so hopefully the Arrows will do a fly past if they’re active that day. They have before so fingers crossed. Will be good to see some old friends anyway and have a short break of a couple of nights down there. 

• 4 months later...

I’ve just read that due to the closure of RAF Scampton the Red Arrows, who will now be hangared at RAF Waddington, will be doing their flying training over RAF Syerston in the new year. It looks like I’ll be getting a ringside seat! My rustic peace is going to be shattered though. At least it won’t be as bad as the 60’s when Jet Provosts we’re based there and we had to put up with night flying training.

• Like 2

Love to see the Jet Provosts flying again. Regina airport which is a quarter of mile from us is a night training school which along with CFB Moose Jaw trains pilots from Europe i think the planes are T3's a side by side trainer they are propeller aircraft a nice sound to them which makes it bearable at 11pm. After training in Moose Jaw they go to Cold Lake Alberta to rain on the CF18s jet power.After that back to europe to fly the Eurofighter.

An old friend of mine, John Pownall, of the scrap merchant dynasty, bought a Jet Provost some years ago which he kept at Tollerton. He was a part time flying instructor at the time and the chief instructor at the flying club, ex. Sq. Ldr. Len Stapleton, used to instruct on Provosts at Syerston in his flying days. He was able to teach John how to fly it. They’re both dead now and I don’t know what happened to the aircraft. Maybe it went to the scrapyard! I believe there is still a Provost kept at Tollerton decorated in some Middle Eastern air force colours.

• Like 1
  • Cliff Ton locked and unlocked this topic
39 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Are yuz gonna paint it in NCT livery Rog? With decals.

Now there's a thought mate

Rog

• Like 1

Spent many a happy night with master in sargent's mess. My brother was stationed at Scampton,   when you went to Scampton plantfit did you see (niggers grave) the dog who was in the flim  The Dambuster's?  The 617 Squadron was formed at Scampton with Wing Commander Guy Gibson  they did 8 weeks of intensive low-level training nobody in the squadron was aware of the targets except for the most senior members. the targets were selected the Mohne the Elder and the Sorpe dams the new weapon was,  the bouncing bomb;  If scampton is sold off what will happen to the dogs grave.?

• Like 1

I used to know the chap who was chief tech with the Red Arrows, Gavin (Harry) Marshall. We belonged to the same Lincs. sports car club. He was retired but could get us in to Scampton. He runs the RAFA in North Lincs and still gets the Arrows to the Cleethorpes airshow.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, mary1947 said:

Spent many a happy night with master in sargent's mess. My brother was stationed at Scampton,   when you went to Scampton plantfit did you see (niggers grave) the dog who was in the flim  The Dambuster's?  The 617 Squadron was formed at Scampton with Wing Commander Guy Gibson  they did 8 weeks of intensive low-level training nobody in the squadron was aware of the targets except for the most senior members. the targets were selected the Mohne the Elder and the Sorpe dams the new weapon was,  the bouncing bomb;  If scampton is sold off what will happen to the dogs grave.?

Certainly did Mary, very well looked after it is too, I wonder what will happen to it when they build housing estates over the land

DSCF3220.jpg

DSCF3221.jpg[/ur

Rog

• Like 1

just sat for a while to writing a PM to Rog only to find out that i can;t send it. I am sorry but can not post on site 

19 minutes ago, mary1947 said:

just sat for a while to writing a PM to Rog only to find out that i can;t send it. I am sorry but can not post on site 

Check your inbox now Mary, I just sent you a message

Rog