The world-famous Red Arrows have been banned from appearing at the 2012 London Olympics because they are deemed 'too British'. Organisers of the event say that the Arrows military background might be 'offensive' to other countries taking part in the Games. The display team have performed at more than 4000 events worldwide, but the Department of Culture, Media and Sport have deemed the display team 'too militaristically British.' Red Arrows pilots were said to be 'outraged', as they had hoped to put on a truly world class display for the Games, something which had never been seen before. Being axed from a British-based event for being 'too British' is an insult - the Arrows are a symbol of Britain .

The Red Arrows have been excellent ambassadors for British overseas trade, as they display their British-built Hawk aircraft all over the world.

The Arrows performed a short flypast in 2005 when the winning bid was announced, but their flypast at the Games was to have been truly spectacular.

It is to be hoped that common sense prevails.

If you disagree with this decision, sign the petition on the link

Red Arrows

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve just read that due to the closure of RAF Scampton the Red Arrows, who will now be hangared at RAF Waddington, will be doing their flying training over RAF Syerston in the new year. It looks like

Too fat to get in the seat, never mind Rog

An old friend of mine, John Pownall, of the scrap merchant dynasty, bought a Jet Provost some years ago which he kept at Tollerton. He was a part time flying instructor at the time and the chief instr

Frankly, whilst agreeing that the 'ban' is crazy, I share the common air enthusiast's view that the Red's are now about 10 years past their sell-by date - and haven't been in the international top dozen air display teams for years.

If they were flying over my house I'd draw the curtains...

Cheers

Robt P.

Hi Rob,

I think the point here is the banning of something British for a British event on the world stage,

It would be better to organise a flypast with Typhoons,,, bombed up and ready to blow the sh*t out of the weak softies that come out with all this cr&p.

In a world where everyone is talking about self rule isn't about time WE had some?

Rog

• Like 1

And again here here from me too

What do you want them to do that no one else has copied over the years? Crash?

Ayup Beefsteak,

Funny enough I saw them last night on my way home, 17.45 hrs, they were displaying over RAF Cranwell, in spite of what people think of them it is still an head turning event to see 9 aircraft in close formation with coloured smoke trailing behind

Rog

I love em Rog . I could never get tired of admiring the skill that it takes to keep those formations together and constantly change their display each season. (Even adding new items too) I particularly like their "Bomb bursts"

When you realise that most teams only fly seven aircraft, and the Blue Angels (regarded as the best in America) fly six, five in formation...

My sister and brother-in-law play golf near Scrampton. The Red Arrows have "complimentary" memberships so, on Sunday evenings, when they are returning from a show weekend, the "buzz" the golf course! Malcolm actually played in a tournament with them earlier this year!

• 9 years later...

I've been told on good authority that the Red Arrows sometimes use just one plane with loads of smaller Red Arrow planes painted on it flying in formation? Makes sense really.     

Edit: Just noticed whatever happened to all the above posters? 

They fly in loose formation between gigs so that they have visual contact with each other for safety reasons. I was once flying up from Sywell, Northampton, back to Tollerton, when the Arrows called up to traverse Leicester airfield zone. The controller asked if they could do a beat up and they duly obliged just before I put my radio call out to announce my transit. Fortunately they were lower than me but I did get a spectacular view. Sadly it was in the days before mobile ‘phone cameras.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, radfordred said:

Can do @philmayfield when they fly from gig to gig, say Eastbourne to Norwich why do they still fly in formation? Think I have answered the question?

I've spoken to Gavin Marshall the ex Red Arrows chief tech. and he says B******s. However he suggests you present yourself at the Guardroom at Scampton and ask for Wing Commander Andrew Keith and he will reiterate Gavin's comments. At least then you will know that it's come from the highest level! smile2

• Like 1

No, the runway isn’t wide enough for all 9. They do a formation take off with 3 followed by 3 followed by 3. It would depend on the runway width which is 200 feet at Scampton and the wingspan of a Hawk is around 32 feet. They land in line astern but in very close proximity, not waiting until the preceding aircraft has fully cleared. Very precise flying.

• 5 weeks later...

Not at Scampton for much longer though Rog. There’s no indication as yet of their next home. I remember them being at Cranwell and at Little Rissington. I gather the Guy Gibson office and memorabilia are to remain after the place becomes an industrial/housing estate. Now what was his dog called? ;)

There was talkof them moving to Waddington a few years ago Phil but that seems to have died a death lately, I'll find my pictures of Gibsons office and other bits and post them in this thread

Rog

I think Waddington’s a bit out of bounds now Rog since they started controlling drones from there. No more air shows from Waddington and Scampton shows are also cancelled because they lost money last time. I remember flying over there in the 70’s and seeing the Vulcans parked at their dispersals. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them back at at Cranwell again or even nearby Barkstone Heath. They could then still use their existing training area. How about Syerston? I could watch them from my window!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, plantfit said:

I agree about Barkstone heath, big airfield like that for just a few Grob tutors

Rog

The last time I got inside Barkstone Heath airfield was at the national Model Flying championships many years ago. So long ago in fact that it was a Bloodhound Missile base and you could get up really close to them! Must have been 70's.

There's a Bloodhound missile as a gate guard at Thorpe camp Tattershall Thorpe,the other side of the entrance is a Lightening,well worth visiting,

Didn't Coleby have Thor missiles on their site?

Rog

We would often spend a weekend  at Scampton  as my bother was stationed there, the plane which used to stand just inside  the grounds was a "Lancaster" which I had the privilege to go inside. (eat your heart out plane lovers) we also had great weekends in the mess. If only those times would come back.

• Cliff Ton locked and unlocked this topic