Looks like a fine day on Wednesday. Last year they did their low level display because of the cloud base. Nearly took the tops of our poplars! Their base at Scampton is only 5mins flying time from here. Later this year they are locating to nearby Waddington as Scampton is closing down, so they’ll probably use their same practice area. We regularly see them on our trips to Hemswell Antique Centre, also based on an old RAF airfield.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think with the Red Arrows you've got to be there, if you want pictures Google images is your friend thousands & thousand all looking the same, like when someone drags out there boring holiday sn

Been there, done that!

I read recently that the Red Arrows have lost 2 pilots this year for being bad lads …… one drinking too much alcohol and the other for having an affair with a (female!) junior pilot.   So they’re down

3 hours ago, philmayfield said:

There will be an air display commencing at 13.00 local at RAF Syerston this Wednesday the 24th. for the air cadets who are on their annual camp. The Red Arrows are due to display at 16.25 but before that there will be Tornados, a Chinook, the Battle of Britain Memorial flight and possibly some USAF aircraft.

Don't think the RAF have any Tornado's any longer since the Typhoons became the main platform Phil

Rog

Sounds like it's going to be a good day Phil,sadly I have to stay in for the day but I'll keep my tracker and scanner on and binoculars at the ready when they start to return home

Rog

It’s an annual event for the air cadet’s camp but it’s not publicised as the public aren’t allowed on the airfield. I usually learn about it on the local grapevine. I can then go to the published NOTAMS (notices to airmen) and get more precise details. Air displays are less frequent than they used to be. We even used to have one at Tollerton with visits from the Arrows when they flew Gnats.

I read recently that the Red Arrows have lost 2 pilots this year for being bad lads …… one drinking too much alcohol and the other for having an affair with a (female!) junior pilot.   So they’re down from 9 to 7 planes for their formations.  Apparently 2 senior guys were recruited for the Jubilee fly past in June.

We’re hoping to see them at the Bournemouth Air Show at the end of the month.  We won’t bother going into Bournemouth, too much hassle,  but we should see them, and other planes, flying right in front of us over Poole Harbour.  I’ve read that the Arrows will be flying on all 4 days of the Festival, I’m already excited as I love planes.  

• Like 1

We’re at the annual British Midland Spirit fly in at Bidford on Avon gliding club on Wednesday so hopefully the Arrows will do a fly past if they’re active that day. They have before so fingers crossed. Will be good to see some old friends anyway and have a short break of a couple of nights down there.