Viking's on the Trent!

Was your late brother an oarsman?

Yes - the Vikings set up a semi permanent fort in Repton. I am planning to row in their wake from the tidal Trent to Repton and further if possibe, during the course of a week later in Summer. Re naming my boat Maid Marian to honour my passage through Nottingham. 

All power to your elbows!

My brother an oarsman….as long as they could cover 500 yards they would be happy..more appearance over substance!

Think there was something to do with a man made island and the marauders from the north not paying  council tax... guessing under

30 people, 

All this boat talk, happily confess I now bu??er all!

About '91 had a mate that had a Narrowboat moored Canal Steet and lived there, zero council tax & TV licence?

Standing charge 61 quid a year,. 0bviously a wide ball park..Boat cost £8000, never moved an inch to my knowledge in over two year's.what do they go for nowdays?

HSR, if you're buying a new boat, you'd be looking at £1500 per linear foot. Then you have CRT licence, insurance, mooring fees, fuel etc, etc,. 

Like the sound of Etc Etc, how much does that cost?

God willing I"m happily Shanks Pony..and that was 140 quid!!

Did have a go on the neighbours lad's scooter yesterday!

I was thinking of coal for a stove, servicing, blacking the Hull, sacrificial anodes, lift outs for surveys, fare wear and tear that are an ongoing thing. New batteries every 3or4 years, reprints...and the list can go on.

I can vouch for that Phil. Last time we went it were a few hundred quid just for the two of us. I used to tell folks that we don't go any more, as the tow harness is digging into wifeys shoulders :rolleyes: We must get one with an engine in ! Nearer the truth though is she won't drive the boat and nowadays she finds the locks difficult. Would love to go again but it would have to be with a crew. Wouldn't matter if they were novices.

• 2 months later...

The 'Topic' says ''Vikings on the Trent', I recollect reading an account of these 'invaders' not the title but I feel sure it was by Bernard Cornwell, one of his very good historical novels.

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Viking's on the Trent!