Hi everyone, 

I'm a newbie here who forgot to introduce himself. I have already posted a few messages on specific subjects but not here,,,

I am Nottingham born and bred, born in Lenton Abbey, moved to Wollaton as an infant then to Bilborough in the 50's. We lived on Fairnley road (top end of Wigman Road). My first school was Melbury Infants, then on to Glenbrook Junior Boys and finally Bilborough Grammar school. Most of my early and teenage years were spent around Bilborough and Strelley estates. 1966 I left it all behind and joined the Army.

There you are - now you know.

I too welcome you Fairlad. I'm sure you'll find lots of interest here. Are you still in the Army?

Welcome Fairlad.  I spent my first year or two in Bilboro and had a girlfriend from Strelley.. which makes us almost related.. :laugh:

15 hours ago, nonnaB said:

I too welcome you Fairlad. I'm sure you'll find lots of interest here. Are you still in the Army?

No longer in the army, they have no use for decrepit old codgers like me, served from '66 to '76. Best ten years of my life , got to live in Germany for 4 years and Hong Kong for 3.

• Like 1

My brother was in the Army he loved it, apart from his stint in Northern Ireland. He told dad of the horrors he saw and it deeply affected him and he was a strong man and nothing seemed to affect him. His eldest son also followed his career , he seems to be having a whale of a time.

My Brother was in the Army for 12 years, the last 3 1/2 in N.I. from 1969 I think.

He was in one of the first mobs to go for 3 years after they'd realised the 6 month lads were just getting used to it then were being sent back home.

He stayed over the 3 years to finished his 12 years there as he had met his wife to be over there.

He lived over there untill his death in 2015 despite his wife wanting to come over to the mainland.

He was R.C.T (driver) so although he carried a rifle I don't believe he ever fired in anger other than practice.

He was a projectionist for ABC, started at the Metropole, before he joined up so he ran the cinema in the barracks as well, just as he had everywhere else he'd been.

He also drove the Military Fish and chip van around the estates to feed the lads, which is how he met his wife.

• Like 3