Six o’clock curfew

That'll  mean very few taxis, buses, trains ect will operate.

The majority of lorries will be off the road resulting in massive congestion during the day.

Overnight road and rail works would have to stop.

Emergency services would be down to very minimum cover.

Restaurants, takeaways and many other shops would be closed due to shortages of staff and reduced numbers of customers.

There'd be no Emergency call out tradesMEN available only relatively few Tradeswomen.

Any business operating 24 hrs would most likely have to stop overnight working unless the majority of staff are women

The list goes on and on.

Is she even on a planet let alone the same one as us.

Do women only get harmed and attacked after 6pm?

• Like 3

Good answer... The idea is so silly it's worthy of Facebook and some obscure wannabe trying to get noticed.

• Like 1

It's allus gonna be after 6.00 somewhere in the world, so some lazy bugger is allus gonna have his feet up. !

What is a man these days? Where does fluid or non-binary gender fit in?  Would female police officers have to patrol the streets to enforce a curfew (given that recent events mean that we probably can't trust male police officers)?

Gentlemen whilst it is a rather an over the top idea from a female point of view I can understand where she is coming from. I have also seen, can’t remember where and which country it pertained to a suggestion women should have a curfew in the evening so they don’t entice men to attack them!
So let’s look at this from a female point of view.

1) We have to be careful what we wear especially as it can be seen as provocative (by males) as it can give the impression we are “fair game” although to us it is just fashionable.

2) Be careful how much you drink or ditto the above.

3) When you are out alone always be aware of your surroundings and people around you.

4) When out, especially at night, try and keep to main roads, avoid badly lit streets, short cuts through parks etc. and, again, ditto no 3 or stay in a crowd.

5) Be careful about taxis, make sure it is a reputable firm and do not flag one down on the street.

6) When out walking your dog on your own try and go where there will be other people about as well. The bigger dog you have the better!!

No doubt there are other things I could add but these will suffice as an example. 

It must be nice to be a male and not have to worry about these things, take the short cut thru the park without having to worry about it etc. but we ladies have to be aware of these things. We shouldn’t have to but we do. 

I have had an old key safe on the door to my side room tampered with last week. Someone forced it and took the insides with them obviously thinking there was a key in it, which there wasn’t. I have spent a few nervous nights since them, I have barricaded the door so they can’t get in, although if they do there is still another locked door to get through, wondering if they know I am on my own especially since I lost my boys. Would you be as anxious about it as me?

We deserve the right to be able to go where we want when we want, dress how we like and get drunk if we want without being judged or harassed by anyone. So although the curfew proposed is, from your point of view, over the top I can see where it is coming from.

Perhaps you should all have ankle tags so we can keep track of you or all ladies should learn karate:huh:

• Like 8
16 minutes ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Or perhaps they should all go to the vet next week with Ben's cat, Syd. If we get them all done, we won't have to worry.

:P

I can remember a vet saying to us, when we took our dog for the vet to give him a Tardac (think that's  what it were called). He said, "This is what they ought to give all sex offenders. It's the medical equivalent of castration".

I would be interested to know the views of the other ladies on the site. Am I being paranoid or just careful? There is probably a fine line between the two.

I was going to post a flippant comment but now realise I have no conception of how females feel , especially those that are single. My dearly beloved many moons ago said she felt safe with me, at the time I thought it a somewhat strange thing to say. Is this fear a new phenomena or has it always been so?

Edit:

There's an interesting report on the Beeb at the moment about attacks on women. Seems most attckers are known to the victim and attacks by strangers, though still serious, quite small in comparison.

In the 70s we lived in South Africa, this was when they had Apartheid, we had to carry identity cards to prove our colour, if you were not white then you had to be off the streets before 8 00pm. Do we really want some thing like this for men? also what about us ladie's it's  took years to get equality don't lets  spoil it. YES!!!  women will get attacked, but, this also was the same a few years ago, and a lot of women took up Martial Arts, so if they were attacked they could hopefully defend there selves. At the moment I am still thinking positive.     

• Upvote 2
21 minutes ago, radfordred said:

Never read or heard such bollocks @philmayfield you really should join Facebook with your observations you'd be an internet sensation :crazy: 

Jenny Jones was responding to the shocking murder of Sarah Everard. 

Whatever she was responding to it was a controversial comment which was worthy of general discussion. I was quoting her verbatim.

• Like 1

I try not to dwell on it but I suppose, especially if you live alone, it is a risk. I have measures in place...I'm not going into details...which would not do a burglar any good at all.  If someone breaks into your home, as far as I'm concerned they ask for what they may get and if that results in their demise, it's hard cheese.

I did once, briefly, live next door to a woman who battered her husband. She clearly had mental problems and he just stood there and took it.  It was their business. Some people enjoy that kind of thing! 

SG.  You're not paranoid. Your list was spot on, and, I think,  a significant proportion of women have had to know those things from being a young teenager and it's just been accepted that women have to change their behaviour for their own safety.  A curfew for all men would be ridiculous, but it's been going on for so long, something has to change 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I don’t walk around thinking I am going to get attacked at any moment just try not to put myself in a position where I might be vulnerable. When I was in my teens it wasn’t a thing I even thought about, at that age you think you are  invulnerable, but even then there were things you just instinctively wouldn’t do.
Think it first really hit home when the Yorkshire Ripper was at large. I lived in Doncaster then and had gone out with a group of girls from work, there was one that lived near me and she asked me to share a taxi with her as we would be late home. I said okay and she said better safe than sorry because of the current situation, I must say I had never really thought about it before then it was just something you read about in the papers. 
Brew asked if the fear has always been there. I wouldn’t say it is exactly fear, it’s not something that is on your mind 24/7. But at certain times you try not to put yourself in what could be a bad situation. I don’t think that every male is going to be an attacker but do sometimes have a “creep radar“ which makes me more wary. Perhaps being on my own now makes it more prominent I don’t know. 
I think Annswabey is right it is just a thing women get to know and take the necessary action usually without thinking about it.

• Like 3

Jill I will  try and be serious for a change, all people should be able to walk about in safety , but we have to accept that we are not in a perfect world and act accordingly.  As an older person who is less able physically I have concerns where I go and when, as for going out after dark its a no no for me.  I hope I understand how ladies feel as I am married to someone who is scared of her own shadow , despite what I write. Women in general are more vulnerable than men and we should take there fears seriously, I dont think we will ever permanently solve the problem, but we must keep trying, but until then we must act accordingly.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Think she was taring all men with the same brush. This would end my part time DJ'ing at my wife's line dance classes & socials as they're all in the evening. I've had female strangers ask if they can walk with me as they feel afraid walking alone, this has happened a few times...

I agree with all the points you make SG and having spent several weeks at a time on my own when my husband has been working overseas I’m well used to being out late at night walking our late dog around the block for a last pee.  I did vary the routes we took because in the back of my mind I thought ‘someone’ might be taking note of where and when I’d be out.  It’s very quiet around our neighbourhood and I very rarely saw another person and I can honestly say that I’ve never had cause to be concerned. 
However, thinking back to my youth, I had 2 or 3 scary instances.  I was followed twice from my late bus from town and actually slapped one lad across his face before he ran off.  Another occasion a chap followed me in a car at walking speed, exposing himself.  I lost him by running and running (I was very fit in those days) but by the time I reached home I thought my heart and lungs were going to explode out of my chest.  I recovered before I got inside because I knew if my parents had known what had just happened I wouldn’t have been allowed out again!  The most stupid thing I did though was get into a car with someone I didn’t know!!!   It was a dark, very wet evening and I was waiting at a bus stop by Carrington Lido,on my way home from work.  A car pulled up, the driver waved for me to get in the car. I honestly thought It was someone I knew,  but it wasn’t, I didn’t know this chap from Adam.  OMG, I was scared because he seemed intent on NOT taking me anywhere near my home.   I finally managed to talk him round and I must say he never laid a finger on me, but his intentions were clear!  
Attacks and abductions on women are extremely rare but we must all watch our backs, no matter how old we are.  

• Like 5

Perhaps, rather than a curfew.  We need to go back to some pretty severe punishments for the kind of creeps most women are threatened by.  May not be approved by the pc brigade, but it would make society better for ALL of us.