I've been a bad lad & spent time in facebook clink for 24 hours. My heinous crime was sharing one of those Leonardo DiCaprio laughing face memes with the 'F' word in it. Found out since quite a few of my FB friends have been in there so I didn't so feel lonely, porridge was a bit lumpy though. Anyone else been in FB slammer & why?

• Like 1

Never been a Facebooker and tbh the more I hear about it the more I think to me sen "thank frig" I'm not

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Never been in fb gaol because I  rarely put anything on my page.  I just comment politely on other people’s posts and look at what all my friends are up to!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, katyjay said:

I haven't, but my daughter's boyfriend is in FB jail more than he's out of it. 

Yeah I remember you telling me about your daughters boyfriend in the comments in my post after I was released. It's great strutting about being an old lag, lol...

I’ve never been in FB Jail but my daughter-in-law has been blocked by them on several occasions and I completely understand why they block her.  She’s a conspiracy theorist, an anti-vaxxer and a Covid denier.  Yes I know ..... it’s a nightmare keeping my mouth shut but I/we do to maintain family harmony.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Facebook reminds of the CB in the early 1980's & a lot of my FB friends are old CB friends. If I get any friend requests from someone I don't know or a friend doesn't know I just delete them. I've got back in touch through FB with family & friends I've lost touch with, old school friends & old army mates, I'm even FB friends with my old Sergeant-Major & Staff Sergeant & I was terrified of them decades ago, I've even made 3 friends through Notstalgia. I go on a FB site for ex soldiers & re-post some of their daft jokes & it was one of then that got me jailed, lol...  

• Like 1

I've come off Facebook its not the same  when you get to Elections , Brexit and Covid I get fed up of so called 'keyboard warriors' I found I can follow Forest , Country Music and a bit of history on Instagram and put my odd picture on there. I have also made sure I do not follow or be followed by those on Facebook who take it so seriously. I spend less time on me phone as well.  I have lost few contacts and distant family but if they wanted me then I'm sure they would find me. 

• Like 1

I am at that stage of life where peace and tranquility reign. For that reason I ignore political and religious postings on FB. Even when I'm dying to say something to someone's comment, I just pass. I only post happy stuff, if it makes someone smile, all the better. I have found old neighbours, class mates, and work mates on there.

• Like 4
24 minutes ago, katyjay said:

I have found old neighbours, class mates, and work mates on there.

Me too. Over the last few years I've re-lived the earlier part of my life to a degree I would never have imagined pre-Facebook.

• Like 3

Been on FB for 11 years & never had a fallout with anyone, you see posts about covid, brexit, fox hunting, climate change, Boris, Keir, Trump etc just like you do on here, but as a rule I never comment on them. I like to put on light hearted posts like what my brainless cat Pix has been up to, that my wife is watching load of old tosh soaps again, I also moan about the TV licence/council tax/car going for it's MOT etc, & of course daft jokes. I don't usually put controversial posts on... 

• Like 2

I find FB quite interesting, I have joined several groups on subjects and places and find them very informative. Other sites which have politics, religion, brexit and keyboard warriors also topics of which I have no interest I avoid them, its that easy.  I visit FB most days and look forward to it.

• Like 2
On 3/15/2021 at 2:09 PM, Cliff Ton said:

Me too. Over the last few years I've re-lived the earlier part of my life to a degree I would never have imagined pre-Facebook.

For ages I'd been wondering what happened to my school pal Ian ,  who was also best man at my wedding , getting on for 50 years ago.

After getting married ,I lost touch with him  , he was always a bit bonkers , foot loose and fancy free type . As teenagers the rest of us pottered around in old minis and Moggy 1000s ..... he had a red MGA convertible sports car !  

His mum's house in Burton Joyce was a meet up place for us to tart up our cars .

Occasionally I'd googled his name but nothing came up , then yesterday after another googling session a gravestone came up on on Billiongraves with the same full name and the right age . Only this was New South Wales , Australia ! It was one of those gravestones that had a photo inset but after 50 years couldn't be certain it was the right Ian.

A bit more googling and guess work,  his (much younger) Philipino girl -friend's name came up . Luckily , quite an unusual name , in fact the only person with that name on FB . She has 100s of photos on her page and some included a trip to Nottingham , with them meeting another old school pal back in 2011 . This , along with pics of his mums gravestone (that they'd photographed during the trip) , confirmed it was the same Ian .

Too late and not the greatest of outcomes but without Facebook wouldn't have been able to confirm it was the right man . 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

How sad to find out about your old mate in that way though.  
Years ago a friend of mine was pressurising me to join Facebook and to be honest I avoided it for a long time because really, deep down, I didn’t want to be found by people from my past!   The experience hasn’t been too traumatic and has actually been rather nice connecting with old schoolfriends especially.  

• Like 2

Seen our girts fb and I've learnt abit of translation, for instance... "wots up hun" (normally found after someone's cryptic post) it means "I'm a nosey so n so and I trive on gossip, adding abit and spreading rumours" 

I always reckon those that put cryptic statements on their page, are drama queens! They are obviously looking for attention.

• Like 1

Katyjay...... I totally agree with you.... And couples or family that throw insults at each other.... Didn't your mam ever tell you about "airing ya dirty laundry in public".... Oh and not forgetting the fake news on fb that everyone takes as gospel 

• 2 months later...

Don't feel bad Colly, someone on a Brit expats site on there, called someone a silly goose, and got a 24hr ban, I assume for bullying. You have to laugh!

• Like 1

It's a great demonstration of how algorithms don't have a sense of humour or irony.

I've not been caught out, but I know people who have posted jokes or cynical comments which a real person would understand and interpret correctly; but the FB bots don't get that at all.

• Like 1