So once again the peace of the countryside is shattered by the annual banging of bird scarers. They start at 7.30 and continue ‘till dusk. There’s six going off round here at the moment. I don’t know why the farmers bother because they just make the birds fly up briefly and then they settle down to start pecking again. 

They'd be better off training a dog to chase the birds,  quieter, and exercise for the dog!  The joys of country living, eh?

The first 6 years of marriage, we lived in Langar. It was fine being that far out when we were both working.  But once I had to be home with babies, the isolation was terrible.  Nowhere to walk to except round the village and back, (1 shop) no pavement on a lot of it. Couldn't wait to move.  Maybe now it wouldn't bother me with having a car. 

You do need a car out here in the sticks. We have no bus service and it's a fair walk to the station where many trains don't stop. The nearest village shop is over a mile away and the farm shop is almost 4 miles.  Lots of walks though and the river is half a mile away. I've lived here for almost 60 years so I'm pretty used to driving some distance to buy things. Since lockdown those things come to me via Amazon. We've not refuelled our cars since Christmas!

I think it's a type of gas gun Loppy. Controlled to operate periodically. But I've no doubt Farmer PhilMayfield will elaborate and put me right.

• Like 1

Thanks Oz, I was sure somebody would bail me out. Glad I didn't give false information to Loppy.

Talking of gas cannons, when I were a Park ranger at H.P.W.S.C. Two of us caught a bloke taking pot shots at our wild fowl. When he saw us he dropped his rifle in deep grass and when we caught up with him, he denied having a gun and walked off. We looked around and found the gun. It was something I'd never seen before as it was a high powered air rifle, powered by a gas cartridge, (very noisy when fired)we took it to the police station at West Bridgeford. The guy came to the centre later that day and owned up. We told him he could collect it from the police and explain to them what he'd been doing.

I’ve got a similar one BK.  A Theoben Rapid 7. It’s powered by a compressed air cartridge which is refilled from a diver’s compressed air cylinder. It’s fitted with a silencer and is very quiet. It uses a replaceable cartridge filled with seven .22 pellets. It’s perfectly legal as it’s set below the legal limit of 12ft. lbs. If it’s over that limit it’s classed as a firearm and a firearm certificate is required. It is possible to convert it to firearm standard but I stay within the law. It has a telescopic and a laser sight. It will easily dispatch a rabbit or a pigeon but I don’t have the heart to shoot at living things these days!

• Like 2