Picture sleuths required for Twitter conundrum

I follow a few amateur photographers & old photo sites on Twitter & one posted a couple of pics & wasn’t sure of the location, he’d taken them some years back but was unsure if they were Nottingham or Bolton. A programme for the Theatre Royal was spotted in one of the pics, pointing to Nottingham. I never got the hang of pic posting on here so I’ve supplied the link. 

If it's the young lady looking in the shop window, then I've got em on post 2. Just thought I might be missing summat. Thanks Alan.

1 hour ago, radfordred said:

Not sure this is the right place, I think you need a Nottingham nostalgia history type site? This is more word games & bad jokes. 

And don't forget  What Are You Listening To Now. I do believe you post in that?

• Like 1

I think it could be the shop on the corner of Portland St. and Pelham St. in Newark. Now a barber shop but I do remember when it was a music shop run by a black chap called Denny Goodwin. He is a well known local jazz guitarist. I once bought a set of bagpipes from him!

I'm inclined to agree with Phil on this. I too was a regular visitor to Nequests in the mid 60s and my recollection is that they only sold new stuff and the picture seems to show quite a lot of second hand bits and bobs. I'm similarly confused by the houses reflected in the window. The Nottingham Post Newspaper offices were opposite Nequests and the road was quite wide and a busy thoroughfare with no parking. BTW the instrument in the window is a bassoon.

Looking at the 2 pictures posted 8.28 on the 18th. The left hand picture reflection shows a row of residential properties, lots of chimneys and tv aerial. The right hand picture clicking on the link giving the best quality and zooming in to the right of the ladies hat I see what seems to be a shop front in the distance with the the letters SERV over the top, maybe service and below some of those mesh wire fronted boards where they used to clip in newspaper headlines etc. So I think this must be on a corner or near a corner as this apparent shop is at right angles to the featured shop front. 
Incidentally the Nequest family still run a shop in Nottingham, nothing to do with music. I know them well.

I meant to add that it seems odd that taken in the 1970’s the shop has some odd items. 78 rpm shellac records, Jack Payne one of the record covers. Not contemporary with that period at all so window dressing or poor sales since 1940’s!

You might have better success posting this on one of the Nottingham history pages on Facebook. I’d do it but don’t want to infringe copyright.

It's on or near a corner, you can see the double dashed white lines across the middle of the right hand picture.

Looking very closley at the right hand picture, I don't think it's a reflection, it's a corner shop with glass on both elevations.

Behind the woman's head where the newspaper racks are, the pavement is similar in style and almost lines up with the view through the glass, probably slightly distorted by being seen through 2 panes of glass at 90 degrees.

Past the front of the womans face and seen under her chin looks to be probably a cast iron column holding up the corner of the building where the 2 glass panes meet.

Your lot must have bloody good pc,tablets, phones etc. With brilliant enlarging facilities, to gather all the information as seen on here. I've tried zooming in but not as good as you. Gonna throw my gear out the window !

P.C with a 19 inch wide screen for me,  don't bother with tablets, comes out too small.

And I only use whatever image viewers that come with Windows, not the sort in the picture,

I thought it was said originally the photographer was working at Ratcliffe power stn, but can't see that comment anymore.

If so they were probably staying in one of the many Commercial hotels or lodgings in West Bridgford so the shop could have been West Bridgford or maybe the Meadows if he walked up into the City

There's another Theatre Royal program lower down.

0wKMpuq.png

21 hours ago, letsavagoo said:

I see what seems to be a shop front in the distance with the the letters SERV over the top, maybe service 

I think thats "Senior Service" fags advert behind the lady so not much help really .

Shop's got an odd assortment of goods , theres even a programme for "Colwyn Bay Repertory Theatre"