Request for Images

Great thanks Coaster :) My partner says he thought he remembered the Trent flooding around 1968 ish?? do you have any idea if it did?? I will do a google search & try & find out

Thats the TBI isn't it?? (Trent Bridge Inn) One of my old stomping grounds way back in the 60's!

The TBI is on the other side of the road and on the other side of the bridge. :lol:

Hey Ayup,how much did you drink on your pub crawls?? must have been a bit if the pub you thought was the Aviary was on the other side of the road :lol:

Great thanks Coaster :)  My partner says he thought he remembered the Trent flooding around 1968 ish?? do you have any idea if it did?? I will do a google search & try & find out

Unlikely, I would have thought, because of the flood defences in place to prevent inundation of the Meadows.

Regards,

Bamber

• 6 years later...
  • 1 year later...

hi i looking for a picture of challands ross co.ltd canel st in the 1960's they were a coach builders and car repair garage. They were also a dealership in British Motor Corperation (BMC). e.g. Austin or Morris van and car. They also had a works at Highbury Aveune in Bullwell which did commercail, machincal, Boby repairs and builders and also car accident repair centre

Welcome to Nottstalgia sp1kegrw. I remember the name Challands & Ross, but I think you'll be very lucky if you find a photo of their place. Am I correct that they were on the south side of Canal Street, between Carrington Street and Wilford Street, going towards the old Narrow Boat pub?

Digging around a bit, I've come up with this........and you can probably say whether C & R was the white building I've arrowed.

challand.jpg

• Upvote 1

The advert posted by Trevor S shows them at 28 Canal Street. Via Fossa is 44 Canal Street, so Challands Ross were probably a bit more towards Wilford Street than where I put the red arrow, closer to the pub.

Oldsmobile Chassis?

Imported and coachbuilt in the UK?

Strange combinations of American cars in the UK in those days

advert.jpg

Cliff Ton,

You may still be correct with your initial red arrow indication. Various company records show Challands, Ross and Co also being at 38-40 Canal Street - possibly later as it would appear the firm existed from 1914 to 1980.

sp1kegrw,

You may want to contact the Nottinghamshire Archives at the Nottinghamshire County Council. They indicate that they have photographs of Challands: -

Coach building

Nottingham/Bulwell: Challands Ross and Co Ltd, coach and vehicle body builders

Ref. No. DD/2074

1914 - 1980

Administrative and shareholders and financial records, wages books, publicity and photographs

Please note that to view any records with the reference ‘Unlisted acc….’ one week’s advance notice of your visit is required.

© Nottinghamshire Archives, Nottinghamshire County Council, 2012

• Upvote 2

my great grandfathers drapers shop and were my grandfather hunterborn was no 37 canal st 1870s 1880s that was down a little ally and backed on to the canal looking at the little photo copy of map at that time it looks to be the area you pointed out clifton

Thanks for those photos Caz. I walked around there last year near the Memorial and the gardens, they were doing some work in that area, it looked a bit tatty from the way I remembered it. As for smooching underneath the arches.....well, I have memories of doing the exact same thing and underneath the bridge along the embankment!!

What really amazed me last year was the boating pond at Highfields (near the University) where they rent boats out for you to go out for a row. There were people out there in those rented boats with no life jackets on, little kiddies in the boats too. I couldn't believe that they would be allowed to rent boats without lifejackets being worn, you would think it would be mandatory!

Ta ra.....Judith

Hi Judith I can remember swimming in that lake as a nipper when the lido was full, it wasn't very deep, you could put your feet on the bottom and it was thick cold black sludge. Can't believe our parents let us do that, guess we didn't see any danger back then :/

• 8 months later...

Welcome to Nottstalgia sp1kegrw. I remember the name Challands & Ross, but I think you'll be very lucky if you find a photo of their place. Am I correct that they were on the south side of Canal Street, between Carrington Street and Wilford Street, going towards the old Narrow Boat pub?

Digging around a bit, I've come up with this........and you can probably say whether C & R was the white building I've arrowed.

challand.jpg

Hi, Your Spot on with the arrow, I used to work at Derry & Sons Printers - to the right of the arrow, they used to share an alley that went right to the back of the British Waterways Building on the Canal Side , I will have a look through my old photo's to see if theres anything of Challands amongst them. I remember calling out the RSPCA to help release loads of Pidgeons that had got in through the broken windows of the abandoned place & couldn't get out..