Your first book

I have just read again Black Beauty and realy enjoyed it.  Part of it still brings tears to my eyes, if you are one of the lucky ones to had read it, its the part about Ginger, as Black Beauty standing at the cab stand waiting for a fare, a cart with a dead horse on passers her and the horse was a ginger colour with a white line down its nose. Black Beauty "I belive it was Ginger I hoped it was as now all her troubles would be over"

• Like 1
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Always loved me books........i sit here now surrounded by them.......first one must have been a 'Rupert Bear Annual'' when i was about 4.....Also recall my first Football Book.......had it from aged a

Twas a fine October morning in April last July.  The sun lay thick upon the ground the snow shone in the sky. The flowers were singing sweetly the birds were in full bloom.  As I went d

Always got a football year book or annual, I remember it because it gave you the details of all the 92 clubs, manager/coach, nicknames, and home grounds when they had proper names not some stupid spon

Mary, I love ‘Black Beauty’ and get emotional too.  I believe that if a book doesn’t elicit some kind of emotion within the reader then it’s not well written.  ( by ‘emotion’ I don’t just mean tears of course...)

• Like 1

Earliest book I remember loving was some kind of children's Bible. My parents said I was a Bible basher and would inevitably end up as nun but I ended up going through a militant Richard Dawkins 'New Atheism' phase in primary. Other than that I remember liking Roald Dahl stuff (even if most of it terrified me especially The Witches), Horrid Henry, and various children's encyclopedias. 

A very big welcome to Newbie member  lQ   I am sure I can speak for most of our members enjoy the site and banter 

""WELCOME NEWBIE IQ"" 

19 minutes ago, mary1947 said:

A very big welcome to Newbie member  lQ   I am sure I can speak for most of our members enjoy the site and banter 

""WELCOME NEWBIE IQ"" 

Thank you very much! Does my name show up as 'IQ' for you? That's strange. 

just took first 2 letters not that brill on computer so took easy option 

I was an able reader before I started school, it was Janet and John books in my day and I remember Mum gave them to my younger cousins after my brother had done with them.  Poor old Chicken Licken thought the sky was falling on his head!  Anyone else remember that? 
I think the first children’s novels I had were ‘Heidi’ and ‘Little Women’.  These two books are still in our library, with my name and address written inside the cover, in childish writing! I always had a Rupert Annual at Christmas and then when I was a bit older I had ‘Bunty’ and ‘Judy’ annuals.  I was reminded by ube that I regularly had ‘Look & Learn’ delivered. I really loved that magazine and soaked up the interesting topics that were featured.  
I recently acquired, for free, about 30 Children’s Classics.  Someone locally was giving them away so I offered to take them, thinking of our young granddaughter ....... but I’m not sure really ...... she’s certainly too young at present to appreciate them (she’s nearly 8) and having had a quick browse they’re a bit heavy going!  

• Like 1
22 hours ago, エロゲいじゅつ said:

No worries at all! :)

So what do we call you then. After 77 years I'm still learning me English.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I’m intrigued too BK, having only ‘done’ French and a year of German at school, many many years ago, I don’t know if those letters are Chinese, Japanese, Arabic or Russian.  
Welcome young lady, give us a clue! 

I could read well too, before I went to Infant school.  I've only got one book I had as a child now - a book of poems for children, and my  Mum had helpfully written the date I was given it - Christmas 1964, so I'd only just turned 8.  I loved Little Women, although not so keen on Heidi, but I was a big fan of Bunty and  loved Enid Blyton

Did anyone like the Water Babies by Charles Kingsley?  I loved the first part about little Tom the Chimney Sweep running away and becoming a water baby and understood the two ladies - Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby and the less popular Mrs Bedonebyasyoudid.  But much further on in the book it became a bit strange and I remember I didn’t understand it.  It was more political.

11 hours ago, LizzieM said:

I always had a Rupert Annual at Christmas ...  I regularly had ‘Look & Learn’ .   

I had a Rupert annual every Christmas for many years. I liked them but remember some of the stories and illustrations sometimes seemed a bit creepy. And I had Look & Learn for a while when it first started.

1 hour ago, MargieH said:

Did anyone like the Water Babies by Charles Kingsley?   - Mrs Doasyouwouldbedoneby and the less popular Mrs Bedonebyasyoudid.  

I had an illustrated version of it, but never understood what it was about. The only thing I remember was the two female characters with long names.

11 hours ago, LizzieM said:

I’m intrigued too BK, having only ‘done’ French and a year of German at school, many many years ago, I don’t know if those letters are Chinese, Japanese, Arabic or Russian.  
Welcome young lady, give us a clue! 

I suspect she may be a Druid incognito. They are likely to Celtic rune symbols. If she suggests building a Wickerman, beware !!

But BK many people like them, including lots of children.  I like the big

eyes ....

According to this -  萌え  our newbie is an avid enthusiast of Japanese cartoons though I seriously doubt there will be a link to one any time soon.   yada

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1