Got me thinking when I posted on the “Your First Book” thread. That “Ascent of Everest” got me into a lifelong interest in climbing, and a “feel” for rock that’s like my feeling for trees. For me they both exude a great feeling of antiquity and deep peace. My idea of heaven would be to own a few acres of woodland with a few crags in it. The odd bench to sit and soak up the peace and quiet. Maybe an open fronted ramshackle shelter where I could sit on rainy days and listen to the rain and breathe in the smell of damp earth. Think it would really put the frailty and impermanence of human life into perspective.

• Like 5

My idea of Heaven probably changes several times in a day...........This morning it would be a trip into Bulwell...and having an Espresso with some old Pals...then a walk down the Bogs with many ''Ey-ups mi duck''........ahh

AG, it sounds like the setting for "Deliverence". You sure you weren't in that film? Can just picture you in a ramshackle shed with your owd banjo.

My idea of heaven would be everything in John Lennons song "imagine" and a full length old working narrowboat with a Lister JP3 or a Bolinder in her

Don't forget a 'Butty'  Ube. You're gonna need summat to carry as well. Plus bow cannon to fend off bloody tourists and gongoozlers. (from a fellow boater)

Yeh our girt can live in the butty with the 5 dogs.... Like the idea of the water cannon for the "gongoozlers" they're always there when I'm trying to "wind" me boat in the wind... Not easy with a slow revving thumper and 70ft

On 3/27/2021 at 10:33 AM, Beekay said:

Plus bow cannon to fend off bloody tourists and gongoozlers.

2 hours ago, ube said:

Like the idea of the water cannon for the "gongoozlers

Never realised boat people were so anti-social...

It's not that we're anti social Brew. It's just whenever you're in a situation where you make a cock- up, there is ALWAYS a crowd of onlookers to take the p¥&s. :clapping:

Ube, who said owt about water !

• Like 1

Brew.... We're not anti-social... In fact I speak to anyone... I'm very much liked here.... Like Beekay says there is always a crowd about when ya cock it up and they all know better then you even though most have never been on a boat never mind steering a 70 footer with a speed wheel 

Beekay thought I'd give em a chance with water

I wouldn't describe this as heaven but I found it the most fully relaxing and satisfying activity: sailing a simple Broads balanced lugsail dinghy in early evening when the power boats are moored up for the night and there's quiet apart from the lapping of water on the clinker hull. 

Tacking up wind to the end of the broad, 

turn around and gently run before the wind, rehearsing a few gybes on the way till the other end of the broad and repeat.

Since it's evening, the light and the wind are changing all the time. Staying out as long as possible before the wind drops totally forcing me to row back to my moored cruiser.

Beautiful in the sacred hour before the still  twilight.

WW I don’t know anything about boats, but that was beautifully written.  I agree though, that late summer evenings are a very special time to spend alone in the outdoors.

Heaven was sitting on the bench at the edge of the woods, which were covered in bluebells and full of birdsong, watching my two boys playing together on the meadow without a care in the world. Coming back to us for a drink of water and a fuss before going to play again.

• Like 4

My wifes idea of heaven...Getting a boat with an engine on board. The harness was starting to chafe her shoulders.

It was the whip that did it for girt