Where did you go on holiday when you were a kid ?

Do you remember your first holiday? mine was 2 weeks in a caravan at Golden Sands Mablethorpe I think in 1954, even getting there was a treat with the train ride from Vic, still recall the scary thrill of being so high up on the line from Weekday Cross and being fascinated somewhere in depths of Lincolnshire at being able to see both our loco and the last carriage at the same time! This was the first of 4 holidays there, once went via bus,(complete with crash on the way) another time was via "unofficial taxi" (workmate of my dad who had a new Vauhall Victor), felt like royalty! and pretty sure the last one was from The Midland station via Boston

Chapel St Lenards every year in a caravan on the Happy Days site we got the caravan cheap because the people that owned it had a general store and we got our shopping from them every week. Always went by car and went through a village called Mavis Enderby i always asked who she was, but i never did find out and i remember the windmill with five sails

We always used to go to Hogsthorp when the parents wanted a drink as my Dad knew the landlord and they used to let me sit in their back room while they had a drink Chapel is a rather small town but it was magic i used to hire a bike and ride through the caravan site knocking the dustbins over with a pal i met up with !englandflag!

I remember ruining one of our first family holidays......Mablethorpe...in a chalet called 'sea view' ( yep miles away )....saw the sea for the first time.....had jus learnt to dive at the swimming baths so did same to the sea......split me head open on a rock....loadsa hospital time after that.

First holiday just after the war aged two...Abersoch in Wales.Can't remember anything about the holiday,but my earliest memory ever is that grass growing out of the sand....dunno why.

img065.jpg

No television, great fun good memories

Yea, remember dad hiring a radio, a sky king? had a battery about size of a car one in it and valves, wieghed a ton! loves those old gas lights with their mantles, that first year (maybe more) didn't even have water supply, had to be fetched from central tap, also beds made up from seats and table every night and "social club" was old nissen hut! even recall one caravan was actually old horsa glider converted,lol

Yep also remember a week in a caravan typically somewhere between Skeggy and Sutton-on-Sea - but never close enough to Skeggy to be able to actually go there. Wasn't allowed near Butlins either - maybe me mum thought we might have too much fun? _ Actually, I know, they couldn't afford it.

Remember catching the train from Daybrook! Loaded up with clothes for the week, sheets, towels, etc! I have no idea how they did it with 3 kids and no car!

Gas lights, toilet block, getting water from a communal tap - and emptying the "slops" - hard to believe we thought that was a "holiday"!

My first holiday was a week in a caravan in Ingoldmells, with mam, grandma and uncle. Don't know how we got there, maybe train? All I remember of that holiday was the beach donkeys escaping one night, and wandering into the caravan park and eating folks' food that they'd stored under the caravan [no fridges in those days] Next holiday was with mam, a week at Squires Gate Holiday Camp, Blackpool. Then a week with mam's brother and wife in Kingston on Thames. I had my first ever ride on an escalator at a big store either in Kingston or London, can't remember which. Had a week in Christchurch, Dorset with dad and his brother and my cousin Janet, the men fished all week! Janet and I wandered around, safe as houses. Next 2 holidays were actually with both mam and dad, what a concept! These were at Mrs Kelly's guest house in Babbacombe, what a woman. Ran the place on her own, cooked the meals, cleaned the rooms and made herself a dress while we were off doing things!

Went to a small wooden caravan off Trunch Lane near Chapel St Leonards, it was before the floods of 1953, because I can remember the following year seeing the wrecked house near the seafront. Outside chemical bog, a water tap that seemed half a mile away. Loads of mosquitoes and lots of bats eating them. Also on the sight were some old railway coaches converted to caravans.

Between the sight and the sea was a wooden hut selling food, postcards,beach supplies etc. The two old women running it ignored the masses of wasps attracted by the ripe fruit.

There were no conveniences near the beach, the sand hills were the toilets. It was about two miles along the beach to Chapel where there was a penny arcade, but not much else.

Mentioned this before but no idea which forum and before you joined Oldace but that first holiday was I think year after the floods, one day we were one beach town end and this like air raid siren went off, the beach emptied! not far off a panic job, turned out it was at the fire station calling in retained firemen, In an old "museum" that was on seafront were photos of the flood, one of a street just off main road took after flood had gone showed sand left behind higher than the front doors! also saw my first dead man that year, drowned and washed up near Golden Sands,

!englandflag! One of my earliest memories was of a holiday in a caravan on the 'Haven' site in ingoldmells, the caravan was like an old gypsy van with an outside 'thunderbox', tap was miles away...............few years later me mam & dad bought a caravan on the 'Beach estate' behind the cinema in ingoldmells, me & my sister would go to Tommys Bingo every afternoon, only a few people there so we would win lots of times..............Tommy would call out; "hey by Jingo! we're playing Bingo!!" the covers over the numbers were beer bottle tops.......anyone remember Tommy?? !tanning!

!englandflag! One of my earliest memories was of a holiday in a caravan on the 'Haven' site in ingoldmells, the caravan was like an old gypsy van with an outside 'thunderbox', tap was miles away...............few years later me mam & dad bought a caravan on the 'Beach estate' behind the cinema in ingoldmells, me & my sister would go to Tommys Bingo every afternoon, only a few people there so we would win lots of times..............Tommy would call out; "hey by Jingo! we're playing Bingo!!" the covers over the numbers were beer bottle tops.......anyone remember Tommy?? !tanning!

Yo Bro!! !englandflag! Those were the days! Tommy was brilliant! We won all those prizes and mum was in her eliment when we got some things for the house! !rotfl! Great memories!! !tanning! You always took to reading your MAD mags when it rained!! :tongue:

• 10 years later...

My dad having a car we went a lot to Great Yarmouth, most folk in Annesley in the 60's went to Skeggy, Ingoldmells and Chapel. I was lucky to have an aunty in Wainfleet so we had plenty of Skeg as well.

I was taken abroad most years by Mam and Dad between 1950 and 1960...........being an only child till i was 11 i suppose i was a bit spoilt...................Still love RHYL..........

On 4/5/2021 at 8:13 AM, benjamin1945 said:

I was taken abroad most years by Mam and Dad between 1950 and 1960...........being an only child till i was 11 i suppose i was a bit spoilt...................Still love RHYL..........

Wow! Holidays abroad 1950 - 60! We didn't have a holiday until I was 11 years old in 1956...me, Mam & Dad + 2 sisters, auntie & uncle + daughter and fiancé....all in a small bungalhole at Jinglebells. But we loved it. Hits of the day I remember hearing everywhere - 'Lay Down Your Arms' by Ann Shelton and Que Sera by Doris Day. Went in caravans there for the next 3 years...then upgraded to Mablethorpe! But did go to 2 BB camps at Whitby in '58 and '60. In later years I've had some great holidays abroad and cruises but I'll never, ever forget those first holidays on the Lincolnshire Riviera!

• Like 2

Alas never had a holiday as a kid. Didn't see the sea until I were 15. First time on holiday was with 'er indoors and her parents, when we were engaged. Must have been 20 by then. The future in-laws took me with them to Cliftonville, Kent.

On 6/11/2010 at 9:10 AM, carltongal said:

Chapel St Lenards every year in a caravan on the Happy Days site we got the caravan cheap because the people that owned it had a general store and we got our shopping from them every week. Always went by car and went through a village called Mavis Enderby i always asked who she was, but i never did find out and i remember the windmill with five sails

We always used to go to Hogsthorp when the parents wanted a drink as my Dad knew the landlord and they used to let me sit in their back room while they had a drink Chapel is a rather small town but it was magic i used to hire a bike and ride through the caravan site knocking the dustbins over with a pal i met up with !englandflag!

Mablethorpe, Sutton-on-Sea, Anderby Creek, Chapel and Ingoldmells (Skeggy too big & posh!) what great places in the post war decades! The village name Mavis Enderby always intrigues me whenever I see the road sign but wonder if you actually drove through it on the way Chapel. The 5 sail windmill is still there at Alford.

Memories, such memories!

Our first post war holidays were spent at Chapel Point in an ancient green wooden caravan with enormous cartwheels, belonging to my uncle's father. Elsan toilet and all mod cons! He had already built three bungalows directly behind the sandhills which he let out. He also claimed and fenced off the adjoining beach but the Council made him remove it! It was all situated in a remote field but the main road now passes by the bungalows which have become permanent homes.

There’s another thread about childhood holidays somewhere else on here, because I know I’ve posted photos...

I went for my first holiday with mum, dad and my brother to Sutton on Sea when we stayed in a boarding (guest) house.  It was just after the war.  The next 7 years  we went to C St L staying in the same converted railway carriage on the same small site.  It was on Sea Bank Road right next to the sand dunes.  We used to play hide and seek on there.   I loved the donkeys on the beach and felt they recognised me each year  ( of course I know now that they didn’t...!)

I really loved those holidays and can’t remember ever wearing shoes.  
When we went to Wales for our annual holiday when I was 11, I felt guilty that Chapel would be waiting for me and would be wondering where I was!!  
I know, I know, I think I must have had an inflated ego...  lol

7 minutes ago, MargieH said:

There’s another thread about childhood holidays somewhere else on here, because I know I’ve posted photos...

I'm surprised how many there are. I had a quick look but couldn't see your photos.

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/search/?q=holidays&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_in=titles

CT. I think my photos must be on a thread where the title has nothing to do with holidays!     It happens ...

Me Mam and dad used to save up tanners and we'd fly off to Guernsey every year on the owd viscount.... First thing I did was to hire a push bike then bog off for the day, only saw mam n dad breakfast and evenings for the whole 2weeks......then I discovered that if I slipped a knife in the moneybox slot tipped the moneybox upside down tanners would come out..... It were me aunties in flipping South Wales from there on then!