Married into Nottinghamshire!

Introductions...

Canadian prairie girl who moved to Lincolnshire for school, married a Notts man, and brought him back to the prairies. We now have two kids who are half Prairie, half Notts.

Now doing the family history on both sides. My mother-in-law’s family go way back in Nottingham, wow. 
So I am learning all about the history of Nottingham and areas around it, loving it!!

Found this website and know I can learn a lot more still, and hope to find out more about specific areas that the in-laws came from.

Missing life over there, looking forward to connecting with and reminiscing about Nottinghamshire here :).

• Like 3

Welcome to Nottstalgia AmFall if you want to know any thing about Notts this is the place , you will find the other members very friendly and have a great knowledge of Notts . I am sure others will soon be on here with information maps and even photos. Be sure to keep posting and tell us more about yourself such as areas where you lived and your memories .

• Upvote 1

Awesome, thanks for the warm welcome!!

I lived in Grantham when young, then other areas of the England over a period of 16 years. My parents and my in-laws are still in Notts and Lincs, so we come back as often as we can, and it feels like my second home.

My first memory of Nottingham was a trip to the Tales of Robin Hood and Victoria Center in early 90s, last visit was Lace Market area in 2019 - it has changed a lot during those 30 years alone!

My husband’s maternal line goes back to 1700s in St. Ann/Mapperley/Sneiton/West Bridgford areas. I started looking into the history of St. Ann’s, notorious as it was reported to be when we moved to the UK in the 90s. But now looking at it more from what each generation’s lives were like growing up there, and hence some influence on who my husband is today. I hadn’t realised that it was all demolished and rebuilt in 60s/70s, I’m learning a lot and excited to dive into the topics posted here!

• Like 5

Welcome AmFall and please keep posting! As Trogg says, you'll find the natives here are of a friendly disposition and very helpful.

Born in Mansfield.  Lived and married near Nottingham until moving to Canada 1970.  Lived in Alberta from 1975 to 2000.  Got back to Nottingham for a few visits.  Still miss Alberta and the prairies.  Welcome to NS.  Hope we hear more from you.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome AmFall   looking forward to you post's   Nou sure of your hubbys age but I to was born in St Ann's so keep in touch and ask any question about St Ann's and I will try and answer it. If he his interested there is anouther site called st ann's pre demolition have a look art it and see what you think.  

AmFall just for you NOTTINGHAM MY CITY>

What I can remember about my city.  It only took  few minutes to get into the city center by the no 40/47 bus. On a Sunday I would meet my friend Brenda we would take a  small bag of chopped nut's to feed the pigenos , there was something about the brids when they came and took the  food out of your hand. Slab Square, at this time in the 50/60s had 4 very large  flower beds.  There was so much colour from the Red-white-blue geraniums. Later we  would walk up tp the Castle pay 6d to enter, we would  be there all  afternoon . Other times we would change and go to the Arboretum.

I loved the atmosphere of the city, Nottingham used to be full of classry shop's, top of Parliament was the big co-op with a solid wooden revolning door. Comming down Parliament St was Cope's the jeweller's 3/4 of the way down King St, was Waring and Gillow very good quality furniture, next to them was Jessops now (John Lewis) Into the square was Griffin an' Spalding which was a very up-market shop inside there was a beautifull mohogany staircase, Close you eyes and you could be sliding down the banister. Up the other side of the council house was The Black Boy Hotel looking into the reception a very large beautiful persian fitted carpets going from reception to a staircase which each side stood wooden statues of "Blackmore's" Over the road from the hotel was "Burton's" this shop sold food from all over the world.  To Nottingham this was our  London "Harroads" At Christmas Burton arcade (under the council house) would always have lots of Christmas trimings. We had "Toby;s " which sold mostly china tea and dinner services, and "Person's" a family owned classy store. Night clubs Scamps Hippo and later Dungeon.  Pubs some good some not so good. One pub was visited by King Richard The Lion Heart on his way to the Holy land. A skating rink.Theatre Royal ,Albert Hall , Empire. We can also claim to have had the prettist girls in England in fact if the girl walked past the Lions outside the council house and the Lion roared then the girl was a virgin, we also had a pub called the "Talbot" later Yate's and much more. 

WE WERE THE QUEEN OF THE MIDLANDS. 

Sorry to say we are no longer Queen the last nail in the Queen was Yate's been called The Slug and Lettece. 

but with a bit of luck you other half will remember Nottingham as I do.

• Like 5

Welcome Amfall hope you find us all friendly and helpful. I no longer live in Nottingham so cant contribute much but its lovely to see old photos of Nottingham as it was and I remember it like that. Enjoy.

Welcome AmFall to Nottstalgia lived at Nuthall until i was 22 moved to sunny and snowy Saskatchewan still here but visit U.K. about every five years. Look forward to hearing some stories.