The Cane (corporal Punishment) !

We had a Brother teach us for a month at the Becket, he was from mount saint Bernard abbey.

Wow! What a forward thinker and made our religious lessons less stuffy and fascinating.

He took he home to fetch a record for an RE lesson

Mum couldn't believe it when a monk walked in the house at midday to fetch a copy of The Who's 'Meaty Beaty Big And Bouncy'.

'The Seeker' ( explained ) became a lifetime fave!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I always behaved!  

The sadism from teachers that went on back then was unreal but I suppose they experienced it in their own schooldays. The threat of violence to ensure discipline certainly kept a lot of us in check. N

That's too bad, Colly.  Seems to me he was showing who is really stupid.  Seriously, it is a legitimate question and sound theologians have debated it over the years.  FWIW.  I believe there will be a

73.  Do you still have one, Jill.  :mellow:

I borrowed mine for my graduation.  Never worn one since.  I'm one of these guys who does not like preachers in dresses.  Or with a dog collar.  I'll keep the dog collar for the dog.  There is no need to announce one's 'holiness'. Lol.  Or ones education.  Just sets you apart from the folks you are supposed to help.  I guess I'm a none conformist.

• Upvote 1

75. You hit the nail on the head, Jill.  Quite a few of those types wouldn't have known that Genesis was a book in the Bible.  Easy life.  Put the dress on and folks would doff their cap to you and never dare to question what you said.

• Upvote 1

Ian, is the St. Bernard Abbey in Leicestershire ? believe it or not i'm sure I delivered groceries there in my time in Coalville for Marsdens/Farrands not on the Granville i'd graduated to a van by this time,about 63/64............

Just googled it Ian..............yes that's the place,i'd forgot all about it uintil you mentioned them,remember going in and seeing them all 'Monking' about,.........used to deliver bacon and cheese and they loved Ham Hocks.........lol.

Many years ago whilst working for EMGAS I had to repair a range cooker in the domestic classroom of a catholic school on Beechdale Road, Holy Trinity if I remember correctly, there was a convent next door and nuns did most of the teaching.

Any road the classroom was empty and I set too replacing the oven thermostat, when I finished I lit the oven to let it heat up to make sure the stat went to by-pass rate. Opened the oven door to check and put my fingers in the wrong place and a mild expletive followed, little did I know one of the nuns had come into the classroom. Boy did I get a dressing down 6'2" of hairy arsed gasman stood there like a school kid whilst this dainty 5ft nothing nun gave me a right going over.

• Upvote 2

No, Loppy, I don't still have one...just pulling Ben's leg! I marvel that Ben's legs are still attached to his liberty bodice....I mean, his body!

I hired my gown for graduation but couldn't wear the mortarboard. I had too much hair in those days, all piled up on top of me 'ed!

The photo used to hang on my parents' sitting room wall and people used to ask if it was Princess Margaret!!!! :mellow:

• Upvote 2
20 hours ago, colly0410 said:

Hmm, interesting comments re nuns. I was threatened with the cane for asking the RE teacher if cats went to heaven? that was a stupid question according to him...

That's too bad, Colly.  Seems to me he was showing who is really stupid.  Seriously, it is a legitimate question and sound theologians have debated it over the years.  FWIW.  I believe there will be animals in heaven.  For at least four reasons.

1. When God finished creation He declared it all 'very good.' (Genesis)

2. When Christ returns He will be riding a white horse.  (Revelation)

3. He sees a Sparrow fall.

4.  I do not believe that heaven will be devoid of animals when He has declared them very good, and they have given endless         innocent pleasure to so many people.

The above is what that teacher should have said to a good question.  If not, at least a sound reason for his position.  I'm inclined to think he just didn't know.

• Upvote 4

Yes lets see the picture Jill...............and Loppy like ive said many times on here,whatever i'm doing i like to dress for it............and if i was a Preacher Man'............i'd certainly dress for it.............Dog collar,fancy hat, the woiks' including them Dick Emery teeth,remember them?.......throw in a few 'hell fires' and damnations' el ah mr Paisley............yes well up for it who do i contact...............lol.

• Upvote 1

Youre right Margie,.......often have a little prayer for someone,and low and behold sumat else turns up I didn't expect .but not what I prayed for,but nice anyway..........and Jill nowt up wi Mandy..........never get arrested today would he/she,.........lol.

• Upvote 2
  • 1 year later...

Mrs Davy, maths teacher (well, she was employed on that dubious basis) and a walking advertisement for The Pytagoras Tearoom, was a regular board duster thrower, along with chalk, exercise books and the sizeable, hardbacked School Mathematics Project textbooks! Anything, in fact, that wasn't nailed down! She spent most of her lessons doing just that, along with lectures on the inhumane treatment of the Irish by the English!

Cracking entertainment. Not sure what Ofsted would have made of her. Mincemeat, probably! :blink:

• Like 1