The Cane (corporal Punishment) !

I was beaten by a teacher for talking in class,aged 13...and I mean beaten...The bastard enjoyed every minute of the experience and wouldn't have been out of place in one of those Catholic institutions that have being exposed over the last few years.

We met again in the early eighties at the door of a pub in Radford as I was leaving with some friends.I spoke his name and he said..."Yes that's me...sorry I don't remember you" I said "Well I remember you!" and kicked him as hard as I could in the goolies leaving him on the floor in agony.

The only time in my life I have ever attacked anybody...it left me then and to this day with a warm feeling inside.I hope he suffered for days afterwards.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I always behaved!  

The sadism from teachers that went on back then was unreal but I suppose they experienced it in their own schooldays. The threat of violence to ensure discipline certainly kept a lot of us in check. N

That's too bad, Colly.  Seems to me he was showing who is really stupid.  Seriously, it is a legitimate question and sound theologians have debated it over the years.  FWIW.  I believe there will be a

There was a fair bit of 'corporal punishment' at Padstow in the 50s but nothing over the top, we accepted it and one Teacher always added after the deed,'now what do you say? the answer he was looking for and always got was, 'THANK YOU SIR'

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

I managed to get the cane on my very last day at school: I'd transferred to Beardall St School in Hucknall from Trent Bridge a few months befor. We were in woodwork & Killer Thurman(tough lad hence his name) dared me to press the emergency electrical cut out button. Well a dares a dare init? So I pressed it & Buffer White (the teacher) walked in & caught me red handed, so the punishment did follow. I know; it's my own fault for getting caught.. :)

When I first started teaching it was just before the cane was banned. I strongly disapproved of the cane. One day the deputy head called me in and told me I had to witness a caning for him. All punishment had to go in a book with a witness to sign. I was completely taken aback by this and just did as I was told. The lad came in and was caned. No anger or emotion, just business like. I signed and left, completely shocked. Shortly after I returned to the deputy head's office. In private I politely and calmly told him never to tell me to witness a caning again and why. He respected my views and we have been good friends ever since. I believe he actually hated doing the caning.

• Upvote 1

we had p.e. teacher who if lads were having a scrap' would take them to the gymn and put some massive boxing gloves on them,then with all the other kids viewing from the 'wall bars' told them to go for it,it never lasted long both combatants were soon totally knaackered,no body was hurt and it was good entertainment for most of us.

he never did it with the more sensative lads,................and always at the end would get the lads involved to shake hands,......happy days.

• Upvote 1

#33 BilboroughShirley.

I remember it coming as a shock when I started work at Moorgreen pit at 15 years & 10 days old, but on a positive note I thought "no one will ever cane me again!" I suffered a few shouting at's, beasting's & a £5 fine when I joined the Army, but received no physical violence from anyone. I can't imagine what it's like being at school without the threat of the cane hanging over me..

Ah such memories of Trent Bridge from AL and Michael Booth #4 and #13. Pop Williams always had some story or other about when he was in the service the trouble was the service kept changing so never sure what he served in. Mr Green the head could be a bit savaged with the cane.

I was only caned once and that was by Joe Currah. I had only been at the school a couple of days and there was a lot of noise in the class so Joe caned the lot' I found the Science Teacher Mr Moss a decent chap though.

I remember in Mr Medley's class - Miss Strutt the school secretary came in and someone at the back gave her a wolf whistle. Mr Medley or Treen as we called him went crackers and kept us in until the guilty one owned up. George Wolff owned up saying it wasn't him but he would take the punishment so everyone else could go home and TREEN was impressed by him and did not cane him and let us all go. Needless to say it was George who had done it anyway. Years later I met miss Strutt and reminded her about it and she said as she was in her forties at the time she felt quite flattered.

I was in Pearson House

Best wishes

Peter

• Upvote 1

I managed to get the cane on my very last day at school: I'd transferred to Beardall St School in Hucknall

I had the cane a few times, guess where? Beardall Street. Reg Loffil (the music teacher and assistant head) was the usual one to hand it out. I think he was more remorseful than we were. Ron Birkin was my old running mate. I left when I was 13 when we moved to Beeston and it all went down hill from there. I seem to remember the maths teacher whacked both me and Ron in front of the class more than once. His party piece was to draw an apple on our back sides with chalk and dusted it off with the cane.

Oh, and Chalky White the woodwork teacher was a mate of my Dad's which didn't help me much!

• Upvote 1

Only names I recognise are Mr Currah & Mr Medley. A few years after Mr Currah died Mam was in Hospital & befriended the lady in the next bad. She was Mr Currah's wife & they became good friends, they used to go to bingo together & muggins here had to pick them up. We'd go to Mrs Currah's (forgot her 1'st name) house & go in for a cuppa then they'd natter & natter & natter as only girls know how. She was a very nice lady..

#39 BeestonMick.

Bill Driver was my form master when I went to Beardall Street. I was scared to death when I went there as I thought I'd get beat up, Bill said "don't worry, keep your mouth shut & you'll be OK" I didn't get any threats of violence off any of the boys at all.... However the girls: I was going out with a girl in the year below me, she caught me kissing her best friend & she went berserk & made all kinds of threats of violence, I ran like hell.. :)

I'd just had the cane, my bum was stinging like heck, which was very not nice. One of the more pretty girls came over & hugged me & my face was buried in her soft neck, which was very nice. So I was experiencing very nice & very not nice at the same time, talk about conflicting feelings. This could explain why I'm totally crackers..

• Upvote 3

Got belted at home and school,a lot of the times I deserved it; at school - sometimes I had too much lip.

Sometimes those 'sisters of have no mercy' took there frustrations out on my arse..swings and roundabouts... Did feel though I got whacked because they lost Their temper.knock one devil..knock two in!!

Probably the last year at Priory Road Junior School was my first caning.. We had a tennis ball on the ground and were throwing stones to hit it. I hit it and the stone shot up and broke the class room window. There was a more painful one at Priory. Hold your arm out,clench your fist, and you were hit across your knuckles with a ruler. There was a boy there,Robert Pilsworth who kept moving his hand out of the way, cant remember the outcome. The teacher was a woman,probably a Miss Peachy, but i am not sure. Chandos just once {already on one other forum}. I can remember the public executions here. The whole school in the hall to witness it. Marshy used to have a wicker basket next to him full of canes. I can remember him using a cane until the end splintered, then throw it onto the stage ,and get another one. One boy was a regular, his name was Jack Massey,you got the impression that Marshy really hated him. There used to be a story at that he had some German blood in him, and that Marsh had some kind of injury from the war! Probably a load of rubbish. Gedling School i must have been a angel. I can only remember having to sit outside the headmasters office once. For tying a girls ponytail to the back of her chair in assembly. Cant remember the punishment, just that a prefect {my mate] shopped me. Cant remember the punishment. Was it a Mr Percy?

Thats the lot, sorry.

• Upvote 2

Hi Michael,

Oh yes he was Treen On Bonk OK #42 - do you remember he had a passion for reading "Moonfleet"and italic writing. He did open the batting for the Teachers v the boys and spent some time looking for a breast plate to put on. I think Dave Webber bowled him third of fourth ball.

Oh the memory days of school.

Best wishes

Peter

• Upvote 1

Hi Mick and Colly

Sorry if I mentioned teachers you hadn't heard of #38 and #40. Remember Mr Cattermole who had a problem with his facial muscles and would smile - look up - and see 36 boys a;; smiling back in the same way.

Best wishes

Peter

Hi Mick

Re your question about Trent Bridge #38. I was a Trent Bridge 1956 - 1958.

Best wishes

Peter