The Cane (corporal Punishment) !

Corporal punishment in state-run schools was outlawed by Parliament in 1987

Did you have a blackboard rubber chucked at you in school?

Made to stand in the corner?

Had to sit in silence for hours?

Punished with lines?

Forced to wear a dunces hat?

If so you may be entitled to compensation, you could claim ££££££££££££££'s!

Call our claims experts NOW 0800 SCHOOL CLAIM

Don't delay call today COMPO 4 KIDS

P1080859_zpsni6hyp06.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I always behaved!  

The sadism from teachers that went on back then was unreal but I suppose they experienced it in their own schooldays. The threat of violence to ensure discipline certainly kept a lot of us in check. N

That's too bad, Colly.  Seems to me he was showing who is really stupid.  Seriously, it is a legitimate question and sound theologians have debated it over the years.  FWIW.  I believe there will be a

• 9 months later...

I put some chewed up chewing gum on the front of a paper airplane & threw it, it landed in a girls hair, she couldn't get the chewing gum out of her hair & her Mam had to cut it out. I was caned (2 strokes) by Miss Slack & when I got home her Mam had told my Mam & I got another good hiding. Very painful day for me that was.. :)

How much would I get for psychological damage?  Being made to write out Pytagoras Tearoom a squillion times. Having maths books, chalk missiles and board dusters thrown at me. Living in fear of elderly women in black gowns and lace up brogues demanding to inspect my underwear!

I reckon I'm due for a well deserved payout but somehow I'm not holding my breath! :mellow:

• Upvote 2

Well they never inspected me underwear, but I got most of the other 'treatments' at one time or another.  Years ago I used to relish the thought of meeting one of the sadists somewhere and it would be payback time.  I came to realize that I was only hurting myself.

If they enjoyed treating kids that way, I'm sure they got theirs at some point.  They had to live with themselves.

Nah!  Where do a line up ta get me pahnds?  :)

• Upvote 1

You lot certainly had a worse time at school than I did!  I'm older than most of you but I generally have good memories of my schooldays.  

The only negative things I can remember were:

being belittled by an unkind teacher ONCE when I was 5  

being made to eat some gristly meat for school dinner ONCE when I was about 7

having to stand on a bench ONCE because I got an apostrophe in the wrong place when I was 10

being told ONCE by the art teacher at secondary school that my artwork was crude (not rude!)

......... not it a big list for 12 -13 years in school.

• Upvote 1

This reminded me of a chap I worked with many years ago. He was on the verge of retirement then. He told me that, as a child, his parents enrolled him at St Joseph's preparatory school on Derby Road, Nottingham which was run, I believe, by the nuns from the convent at the back of St. Barnabas Cathedral.

His family were not Roman Catholics but they wanted him to have a good preparatory education and enrolled him there as a day boy.

He explained that the humiliation and cruelty he and the other children were subjected to by the sisters had instilled such fear in him that, even as an adult male, he could not remain on the same side of the road if he saw a nun approaching while he was out in Nottingham at lunchtime but was compelled to cross the street to escape.

How sad that he had been scarred in this way by an education his parents had paid for and by people who should surely have known better.

I recall at Firbeck Junior, the evil head who I'm convinced was a paedophile, I'll not mention any names. Then when she thankfully left she was replaced by Mr Lomas, he could be a strange bloke at times, his form of 'Capital Punishment' was a slap on the legs in front of the whole school, clearly it was just an act of humiliation, I don't recall him being proud of what he had to do.

At BGS you had to do something really serious to get the cane, Harry Peake used to have one on clear view in his room, but in my 7 years at the school, I hardly ever visited the Heads room probably only 2 or 3 times, and that wasn't to be caned!!

Jill # 58

I used to work as a carer for the elderly nuns at the convent when part of it became a care home. They still dressed in nuns clothing even though they were in a care home.They seemed to think they were above the other elderly people who were not nuns,the non nuns were frightened of the nuns.,the carers were also scared of the nuns,I remember one poor Chinese girl who was told off for not saying grace at meal time(even though she was not eating but helping them with their needs)Some of the nuns could be quite racist too.The nuns seemed to get better treatment than non nuns.When I started work there a nun asked me if I was a catholic,I said no,she replied oh well never mind dear .The home was very well run but had to close down as it couldn't afford to carry on as it was doing,Luxury compared to care homes now.For dinner they would have for a typical menu....starter prawn cocktail,main something like chicken or beef with all the trimmings,...afters sponge pudding or fruit cocktail .They had a wine cellar so plenty of that about......The convent and home has been made into luxury apartments and the nuns have moved out.

That's interesting, crankypig. I've never had any contact with nuns personally but I remember asking Malcolm  (my former colleague's name) whether he thought they had meted out harsher treatment to him because he wasn't a Catholic. He replied that he didn't think so because all the pupils were treated like this!

I remember the articles in the NEP about the closure of the convent and its subsequent conversion into apartments. As I've often said about the similar treatment of former General Hospital buildings, I would not want to live in such a place!

Why anyone who is supposedly meek and selfless enough to devote their lives to their Christian God should consider themselves above others eludes me as it seems to contradict the philosophy of poverty, chastity and obedience but Malcolm was not the only person I've met who expressed such sentiments about nuns. I've heard some awful stories about the former Nazareth House and also from a couple of male friends who were educated by Jesuits.

• Upvote 1
On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 0:30 PM, Jill Sparrow said:
  1. 5 hours ago, Jill Sparrow said:

How much would I get for psychological damage?  Being made to write out Pytagoras Tearoom a squillion times. Having maths books, chalk missiles and board dusters thrown at me. Living in fear of elderly women in black gowns and lace up brogues demanding to inspect my underwear!

I reckon I'm due for a well deserved payout but somehow I'm not holding my breath! :mellow:

Colly #86................ofcourse it was a stupid question............we all know that Cats go to heaven.....tut..........lol.

• Upvote 1

Well they do.  Cat's I mean.  But dogs rule.:biggrin:

Re nuns.  You can put on fancy dress and you can wear a big wooden cross, but it don't change what's underneath.  No particular offense meant to the RCs on here.  It cuts across all denominations.  There's more to being a Christian than singing a few hymn and appearing at church on Sunday.  Just ask the founder.

• Upvote 3

#68 don't know what I did there................but safe to to say,.......I don't mind 'elderly women in black gowns'....and 'Lace-up Brogues'.................lol.

• Upvote 1

I sometimes wonder how many of those women were pressured into entering the relgious life and the same applies to priests. What they are doing is making a vow to turn their back on normal, basic human, animal instincts and, clearly, recent reports in the press evidence that many of them failed badly. Perhaps, not surprisingly, this led to women who would rather have had married and had children becoming bitter, twisted and vengeful. Not the type of people who should be teaching!

• Upvote 2

There should be no pressure to enter any 'religious life'.

Nowhere in the Bible do we find any command to hide away in some convent or monastery.  Quite the opposite in fact,. "Gerrout there and let yer light shine."  (Nottingham translation). Further to that there is no command for a religious leader to remain unmarried if they wish to marry.  Where did that come from?

• Upvote 2

Many large Catholic families felt it was expected of them to "give" a son or daughter, or perhaps both, to the church. Similarly, many of the landed gentry seemed to follow the custom of designating one of their sons to become a member of the Anglican clergy, who would often become the next incumbent of a living which his family owned. They called it continuity of Christian faith. I call it nepotism!

How many of these Parsons actually had any belief I don't know but I suppose their rationale was that someone had to do it.

• Upvote 2