The Cane (corporal Punishment) !

I only was punished once in my school life, in the infants. Miss Stoker (the red hot poker) was my teacher. I remember like it was yesterday, she told the class to be quiet. They did, and I inadvertently dropped my pencil. Those around me giggled, and she strode up the classroom and slapped my legs. She was a horrid old spinster who should never have been in charge of small children.

• Like 2
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I always behaved!  

The sadism from teachers that went on back then was unreal but I suppose they experienced it in their own schooldays. The threat of violence to ensure discipline certainly kept a lot of us in check. N

That's too bad, Colly.  Seems to me he was showing who is really stupid.  Seriously, it is a legitimate question and sound theologians have debated it over the years.  FWIW.  I believe there will be a

They were “proper” teachers. Hard bastards. We had quite a few who treated us likes the erks that were under them when they were officers in the war. Some were kindly and some kept us under control by using veiled threats which never came to fruition because we did not dare to push them. Clever psychology. My wife taught miner’s children at Rainworth but got more hassle from the parents than the kids!

I can't remember what my crime was but the punishment lasted from my first day at Colligate infants down the Meadows at the age of 5 and went on until my eventual release from Fairham at Clifton at the age of 16, must have been one hell of a crime 11 years held against my will, making up for it now though  :jumping:

Rog

• Like 1

The sadism from teachers that went on back then was unreal but I suppose they experienced it in their own schooldays. The threat of violence to ensure discipline certainly kept a lot of us in check. Now the pendulum has swung the other way and what ammunition do teachers have now? Everyone seems to know their human rights. Human rights without the equivalent responsibilities is the problem. Responsibilities should be instilled into kids at an early age but looking at many of today’s crop of parents from where do we start?

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

There was a male music teacher at FFGS that used to creep around the class, and if anyone had irked him previously. he'd sneak up behind  them, and tweak the hair just near the top of your ear and twist it and lead you out to the front of the class. He'd keep doing it till you squirmed. God, it almost made me pee myself !

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

For a time at Padstow sec. school  ,there was a ritual every friday morning in Assembly where the Cane or Strap was administered to wrong do'ers,..........usually about 6 of us in line to take it........i had it this way once,i was only a first or second year lad and was really scared waiting in line.......first lad a supposed tough lad in the 4th year  stood crying his eyes out after his punishment,, was determined not to cry after mine......and held it back until i got in the toilets after,,locked the door and cried me head off,, mates banging on toilet door shouting ''you ok Ben?''.........''cause i am just F' off''       kept me street cred'' dint i,........lol

• Like 1

Good on yer Ben.  In Chandos Academy they used to call it a public execution.  You could get it for smoking a ciggy.   The head would perform then go back to his office for a smoke.  Even at the age of 11 I could understand the hypocrisy in that.  Imagine what would happen if that was done today.  One kids family tried to take it to court as their kid had red stripes across his posterior.  As I understand it, it was thrown out of court.

• Like 1

Even though i had my share of Cane,,Strap,,Slipper,,Ruler,, even the dreaded Football,,where you had to stand hands on knees bent over while the Games master ran and kicked the Ball up your ass causing your head to ram the Wall bars,,

Never dis licked the Teachers who did it.......just thought it was normal.......don't think the same now and would have kicked up if my Kids were treated that way..........funny what we put up with years ago..........

• Like 1

Never thought much about it back in the day,, and all my crimes were quite minor,, Laughing in class,,talking too much,,Walking on the Grass,,Going in the Girls playground, (only to get a ball back) Fighting (only in self defence) and flicking Terry Dexter's Tab in singing,,....oh and once for hanging on to Beryl H at Northern Baths causing her to scream,......i was hanging on because i thought i was drowning,,  sorry Beryl........

• Like 1

There was a lot of corporal punishment at Berridge but I never fell foul of it :rolleyes:

None whatsoever at Manning...just psychological warfare there. Much worse! Only way to survive was to keep a low profile and live in your own head. Have done so ever since. Perfectly sane, I am....it's everybody else, :blink:

• Like 3

''Keep a low profile'' eh Jill....never thought of that.....must try it........lol

• Like 1

Grabbing Beryl H. Retrieving balls from the girls playground.  Started early din't yer.    :biggrin:.  There were no girls near the Chandos Academy I never had a chance..

• Like 1
5 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Never dis licked the..

Sorry disliked. Lol