It wasn't what you wrote that was wrong, the point is that you had used the "Quote" button to quote from the post immediately before yours. There's no need to do that because what you said will automatically follow on from the comment you were referring to.

Using the Quote button like that increases the amount of storage space used on the Server for the whole forum, and it could soon reach its limit if there are too many quotes too often.

So carry on writing, but don't carry on quoting (too much).

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Stavertongirl  thanks for telling me about the cakewalk being at Goose Fair,  just a quick story Friday night 8th Oct 1965 the following day was my wedding day, any way all the ladies had just had

When I was about 15 my two friends and I decided we wanted to be at Goose Fair when it ended at midnight (?) on the Saturday.  Another friend (Deirdre) and her brother lived up Sherwood Rise and invit

GOSH!!!!  Goose Fair what memories? age 13/15   used to walk down to the Forest from Robin Hood Chase with my  best friend Wendy Husband . each night Monday till Wednesday, What I here you l

Goose Fair. A lasting memory for me concerned a pair of new shoes.

When I was about 13 perhaps 14 my Mother gave me a choice, either have some money to go to Goose Fair, or as an alternative have some money to buy a pair of shoes of my own choice.

She knew that I had been looking at a pair of fashionable shoes in a shop in Hockley for a few weeks. They were a nice tan coloured "slip on" type and not cheap.

I was coming to that age when fashion was (not quite) everything. Anyway the choice was made and I duly set off into town to buy the said shoes...

My disappointment at finding that they did not have my size was tempered by an idea I had to make them fit by inserting two sets of inserts.... That did the trick, the unscrupulous shopkeeper took my cash without any comment, he gave me the inserts for free.

I took the shoes home and showed them to my mother not daring to say anything about the size issue.

Are you not going to try them on for me she said, yes I replied running upstairs to put the inserts in.

From a distance they looked great and she could not tell.

Somehow or other one of the pair of inserts went missing and I could not find them.

A friend had asked me if I wanted to go the Fair on the Friday night but I declined saying I did not have enough money to go.

When my Mother found out she gave me a little extra pocket money saying you can't really not go, just go and enjoy yourself.

Anyway off to the fair I went, wearing my new tan slip on shoes.

Everything went well, we had a wonderful time until it came to the "parachute ride" (I think it was called something like that?)

The machine whizzed round and round and then tilted at an angle. All the walking around had softened my new shoes up a bit and I clenched my toes to keep them on.

Next thing ! whoosh.... they shot off my feet into the crowd.... I thought it was funny until I found that after the ride had finished I could not find them anywhere.

I walked through town in my socks and when I got home had to own up to my Mother. She was fairly understanding, but the next Saturday she went with me to town and chose the a pair of sensible black lace up shoes.

She would often mention the episode of the shoes over the years, funny (but a painful walk home) now I come to think of it...

Smiffy

• Upvote 4

I Would love to obtain a dvd of the film "woman for Joe" there is a clip filmed on Goose fair,and my MOTHER AND AUNT ARE ON IT,

it was 1955 starring George Baker

If it was a slip on tan coloured one, then could you let me have it back please?

Better still did you notice if the insert was still "inserted"

Even better still (and this is a long shot) did anyone else next to you say "ouch"

I miss that pair of shoes..... I hope they went to a good home.....?

(Shoeless) Smiffy

• Upvote 3

always loved the atmosphere at gosefair but like mellisa i think its gone of a bit in resent years partly due to the fact its got too big too expesive and is nowheld over5 day rather than the traditional 3 day so the lord mayor can no longer use the traditional oppening on a thursday 12 pm so not even that to look forward to now.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 months later...

Brilliant video radfordbred. The 1949 clip reminded me of the best parts of Goose Fair - watching the men setting up and testing the engines, Then going at first light on Sunday morning looking for lost money. Best pickings were under where the wollsers had been. Found a two bob piece once among smaller change.

It used to amaze me how Goosefair site could transform almost overnight from and empty bit of sandy grassland to something so big and vibrant. Then by Sunday afternoon it was all gone. It was a bit like a huge magic trick. I was always so sad on that Sunday afternoon and already looking forwards to the following October. I went to the various 'Wakes' Bulwell, Arnold etc, but they were so disappointing after Goose Fair.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Certainly do remember it. Dad always took us to it. I know some of his family lived on Mar Hill at some time early in the 1900s.

We used to go to the fair at Netherfield, Arnold and Baseford Wakes as well. Probably more, but my memory fails me a little sometimes. Good memories.

• Upvote 1

#183 carni Many years ago in my school holidays i helped Mr pearson who had a farm top of southcliffe road, deliver milk and marhill was part of the round, what always springs to mind after all these years the very first house at the bottom of mar hill she would always leave the money on the widow cill and the empty bottles were always spotless and shining she must have took great care in washing them out which many people didn't. they was the big round neck bottles that had the cardboard top. just abit of useless info lol

• Upvote 1

The site of the Arnold wakes was known locally as "The Croft". I've no idea why but perhaps Stuart can help? My gran lived on High Street, just yards away from the site.

Hatters was my favourtie chippy, Sue. On the rare occasion that we lads were feeling affluent we would go upstairs in the evening and sit by the window overlooking Front Street.

Can anyone recall the sequence of shops between Woolworths (Former Kings cinema) and Worral Avenue? I seem to recall a butchers (Or was that the other side of Woolies) and a jewellers (Ratners?) but cannot recall any other of the shops.

Compo,

sue B 48, was part of the gang who used to meet on Arnold Seats around 1962/3, and if we had any money which was a rare occurrence!, then Hatters was the other Congregational place . I think we all aimed for the table over looking Front St. We didn't very often get it! Happy memories of our times in Arnold.

• Upvote 1

Paul Kreger had a ladies fashion shop on that stretch between Woolworths and Worrall Avenue too.

The butchers you recall is probably Rowbottoms, which is still there, next to the Cross Keys. I used to know the daughter, Joy. In fact went on holiday to Majorca with her and a load more people, they were the water-skiing crowd from down Gunthorpe/Hoveringham/Holme Pierrepont. It was the first time I'd flown and I sat next to her on the plane, really excited at the prospect of the flight. Joy was telling me I'd be absolutely fine and not to worry ....... I wasn't worried in the slightest! Soon after we took off she reached for the sick bag and was throwing up most of the flight!! I was fine incidentally!

• Upvote 3

The site of the Arnold wakes was known locally as "The Croft". I've no idea why but perhaps Stuart can help?

I think 'croft' is a generic term for either a piece of farmland or wasteland. My understanding is that The Croft in Arnold belonged to a landlord of The Horse and Jockey originally and he kept animals on there. There's a brand spanking new health centre on there now!

There was a fishmonger Compo. I remember the son, he was a blonde lad and drove a BMW ........ can't imagine why I remember him!!

The name 'The Canny Scot' rings a bell where that fishmongers was, Lizzie. An upstairs restaurant on top of it?

Rowbottoms butchers in Arnold these days has a rebuilt building since the era we are talking about. It's remarkably similar in size etc and on the same spot. Apart from the pubs, it's arguably the oldest business in Arnold and yes I agree, great bacon cobs for a quid!

I was away from Nottingham for 30 years Stu and during that period a lot changed in Arnold and all around the area, and not for the better either. I don't recall 'The Canny Scot', that must have been while I was in exile. Even when I lived in Arnold I spent little time on Front Street/High Street so my memories of the 50s, 60s and early 70s are not that vivid.