Well I have to agree with you about the changes. I think it's pretty sad the way the centre of Arnold in particular changed. It sued to be a very pleasant town with something of a village feel but it has been neglected and for no good reason. Arnold always steadfastly held on to it's independence from Nottingham council but I sometimes wonder if it might have been for the better in the past. A lot of people I know would say that it was all downhill when Gedling Borough Council replaced Arnold Urban District Council.

Places inevitably change but it's pretty criminal what has happened to Arnold.

• Upvote 3
  • Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Stavertongirl  thanks for telling me about the cakewalk being at Goose Fair,  just a quick story Friday night 8th Oct 1965 the following day was my wedding day, any way all the ladies had just had

When I was about 15 my two friends and I decided we wanted to be at Goose Fair when it ended at midnight (?) on the Saturday.  Another friend (Deirdre) and her brother lived up Sherwood Rise and invit

GOSH!!!!  Goose Fair what memories? age 13/15   used to walk down to the Forest from Robin Hood Chase with my  best friend Wendy Husband . each night Monday till Wednesday, What I here you l

my son and myself re-roofed the football stand for arnold town which I believe was somewhere at the back of the small car park near the market

I don't know if its still there, we also roofed the dug out. in return for some advertising above the goal. I think the chap who owned the sports shop below asda had a lot to do with the running of the club. many years ago.

This is a nice picture of the Bonnington cinema and Arnold library. Picture the past:

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NCCC002948&pos=8&action=zoom&id=40169

NCCC002948 Place: Arnold Location: Front Street Title: Bonington Theatre, Front Street, Arnold, pre 1957 Image Date: pre 1957

Also spotted Rowbottom's butchers:

http://www.picturethepast.org.uk/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;NCCG000243&pos=37&action=zoom&id=106673

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's that time of year again. Is anyone going to 'Goose Fair' this year. The weather is good, so now is the time to fill up on those Hot Peas, Chips, Burgers, Brandy Snaps, and all manner of foods from the different Countries. There was so much selection last year. We didn't know where to start, or finish, come to think of it. We have not ruled out a visit yet. Just hoping the weather keeps up, as a visit it is usually decided on the day. So it's a Definite May Be from us then?

• Upvote 2

#172 If anyone goes to the fair can they look out for my tan coloured shoes please......

Smiffy

• Upvote 1

I have'nt been for probably 20 years, I remember when many of the rides were driven by steam traction engines, I note what Fynger says, no side shows, wasn't that the best bit, Mouse Town, the Flea Circus, the Boxing Booth, the Worlds Tallest Man, the same one's every year, but that was all part of the fun. Do they still have the same naff stalls at the top of the Forest selling all sorts of rubbish but amazing whelks and cockles, or has all that gone as well, walk along there and you came out on the back streets to be accosted by prostitutes when trying to cut through to Ilkeston Road to catch the bus home, I bet they made a fortune.

The best bit was walking around the showman's area with their incredible caravans and elderly lorries chucking diesel fumes into the air as they struggled to provide power to the roundabouts from a myriad of cables that you kept tripping over.

• Upvote 1

They were the days Pete when you and me used to walk round the fair just to see how much ancient stuff was providing power or accommodation. Now with rip-off prices and stiff environmental laws, there is nothing decent to see.

• Upvote 1

GOOSE FAIR

It was a dark autumnal Saturday night

But in the distance the sky was bright

Feint music carried in the still night air

As we walked along to Nottingham’s Goose Fair

The pavements soon overflowed with the crowd

As the noise of the fair grew ever loud

Then an awe inspiring blanket of light

Welcomed us to the fairground site

And as the music blared loud and strong

We were swallowed up by the throng

From hot food stalls there did exude

Mouth-watering aromas of cooking food

Hot dogs with onions and of course

Pots of mushy peas with mint sauce

Dotted around the fair we came across

Stalls with toffee apples and candyfloss

And those that were completely spread

With packs of brandy snap and gingerbread

All around the fair we did hear

The barkers’ voices loud and clear

Roll up, roll up and win a prize

On darts, rifle range and coconut shies

There were rides of every shape and size

To give you Goosebumps and butterflies

From the Big Wheel, Dodgems and Meteorite
Came cries and shouts of sheer delight
Up and down or twist and turn

Designed to make a stomach churn
More sedate rides were there of course
Cake-walk, helter-skelter and galloping horse

It was the best few hours you could spend

But unfortunately all too soon it did end

When all of a sudden you could hear a pin drop

As all the rides and noise came to a stop

Sadly it was the end of the fair until the next year

But we had got good memories for a souvenir

• Upvote 6

Traveling along the Ring Road last night on my way home to Beeston I saw a couple of rides pas by on the way to Goose Fair. Sadly I won't be going

this year but it made me think back to when our mam use to take me and my sister. She couldn't afford to take my other nine Brothers and Sisters.

Our favourite ride was the caterpillar, can any one remember this. A green hood came over the top of the ride and plunge you into darkness. Mams hat

blew of one day (most women wore hats then) and the fair man had to retrieve it from under the ride. Always had hot peas on the way out.

Nice verse Dave all your own work

sue B 48

Didn't you know the Catterpillar was the ride to go on if you wanted a good snog. Just wait for the hood to go over and Whoo hoo. lips0

Or so I was told! Ahem :rolleyes:

AH,I REMEMBER YOU NOW CARNIE, WHOO HOO

• Upvote 4

When I was a kid @ school Wednesday night was always known as rape night? Was that just a Radford thing?

That's what we used to call it too. Horrible description really.

I lived on Russell Rd 1961-72 and used to go down every evening whilst the fair was being set up. One year when I was about 12 a dirty old showman tried it on with me (I'm male BTW) so I legged it home as fast as I could run. Didn't keep me away though.

Well I suppose your right. Sue B. You should have come with me. I would have lead ya astray!

Benjamin, It was dark though wont it miduck. whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo hooooooooooooooooooooooooo

slywink

• Upvote 3

I have always loved Goose Fair, the smells the crowds the noise, each year from being knee high to a grasshopper I would always get ten bob from my uncle to spend at the fair. It would last most of the night. When I arrived at my teenage years my friends and I use to walk from St Ann's over the chase on to Mansfield road this was every night before it opened, now the reason we went each night was to see if we could meet any fellows never did though, only met chaps who wanted one thing.

Any way to keep up the Tradition of being a Nottingham person we arranged to get married on Goose Fair Saturday the time also was a Tradition as we picked 3 00pm Forest kick off time.

When our relatives came from Surrey for the Wedding we all went to the fair well we had great laughs as it was Friday night all of us had, had a few and we decided to go on the Cake Walk.

I don't think the fair is half as good as it used to be. Or is it because we are getting older? one more thing I think the fair should go back to three days and three days only. but

I suppose that they can't make enough money.

• Upvote 2

My first visit to Goose Fair was as a 6 or 7 year old in the 50s. We lived in Beechdale so caught a bus into town then got one of the Goose Fair special buses. Like most of the young lads I came home with a bow and arrow. My mum took me on the Cake Walk and I hung on tight and rigid rather than "go with the flow" I was rooted to the spot in fear and had to be lifted off by the showman.

Remember those black balloons with a face and a red feather with a piece of wire rather than string? Think they were popular with the kids in the 60s.

I had a very near miss at Goose Fair in the late 60s. I'd had a few sherberts at The Grosvenor then staggered down onto the fair (as you do). I tried to get on the Waltzers before they'd come to a complete stop and nearly got crushed between two cars. Silly boy but lived to tell the tale

• Upvote 1