• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Stavertongirl  thanks for telling me about the cakewalk being at Goose Fair,  just a quick story Friday night 8th Oct 1965 the following day was my wedding day, any way all the ladies had just had

When I was about 15 my two friends and I decided we wanted to be at Goose Fair when it ended at midnight (?) on the Saturday.  Another friend (Deirdre) and her brother lived up Sherwood Rise and invit

GOSH!!!!  Goose Fair what memories? age 13/15   used to walk down to the Forest from Robin Hood Chase with my  best friend Wendy Husband . each night Monday till Wednesday, What I here you l

I'm pleased you found that article Carni because I was always under the impression that the fair wasn't held during those war years. It would have been inappropriate especially when so many were away fighting for our country.

YES but the ended April 45 in Europe and i think Aug with Japan,i'm not taking credit for it but Germany gave in 3 wks after i was born. :)

• Upvote 2

This loony labour council's policy of hating the motorist by trying to force every one on the tram takes a break Goose Fair week, cos the goose fair park & ride site is shut for the fair instead.

• Upvote 2

Fort William had its own version of Goose Fair last weekend - half a dozen mixed childrens' and adult rides.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I went to the fair at Jubilee Park Eastwood last Saturday with my 2 grandkiddies aged 4 and 1 - was not very big but nevertheless enjoyable.......Everything was £3, even winning a plastic toy which would have cost about 99p in a shop., I spent a fortune.......It was all about fun though and seeing the delight on their little faces........I will not be going to the Goose Fair this year as I will be on holiday, but I will miss it....... I never go on the rides anymore anyway as I am to old now, Just walking around and soaking up the atmopshere is enough for me...........I just love it........

When I was a child growing up in the 50's in Hucknall it was an outing to look forward too, I used to go with my birthday money as my birthday is September 30th and I got half a crown from all my family members, went on everything which was 6d back then, always had a fairy doll for 1/6d, ate brandy snap, candy floss, ice cream, toffee apples, hot peas etc and was always sick going back home on the bus, what a fun day out.........Oh happy days..... :biggrin:

• Upvote 3

I used to live on Russell Road which was opposite the Goose Fair site, we used to get various tents being set up on the pavements such as fortune tellers. And residents weren't allowed to park outside their own houses as cones were set up along the road. When did it move to September, it was always first Thursday in October and we got the afternoon off school to go?

OrphanAnnie,

It's still the first week in October.I think radfordred is just getting excited.

I also lived on Russell Road 1961-72 so I probably know you.

I knew an Anne Grimshaw. Is that you?

I didn't move there until 1976 so wouldn't have known you Mess, I lived at the top end opposite a Polish bakery.

It's all about the tradition TBI, they'll be moving Christmas to November next! Although they sort of have, what with the cards in the shops already.....

Orphan Annie - I used to know guy who lived on Russell Road, he was called Nigel Oram, that was back in the 60's............

Can't think of anything worse than goose fair !!!!!!!

Except a Rod Stewart concert...