• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Stavertongirl  thanks for telling me about the cakewalk being at Goose Fair,  just a quick story Friday night 8th Oct 1965 the following day was my wedding day, any way all the ladies had just had

When I was about 15 my two friends and I decided we wanted to be at Goose Fair when it ended at midnight (?) on the Saturday.  Another friend (Deirdre) and her brother lived up Sherwood Rise and invit

GOSH!!!!  Goose Fair what memories? age 13/15   used to walk down to the Forest from Robin Hood Chase with my  best friend Wendy Husband . each night Monday till Wednesday, What I here you l

#308.......Hyacinth Bucket (in the front).......saying...........''I do hope Richard and Onslow can't see us''............

So many earlier recollections on this thread that coincide with mine. 

I last went to Goose Fair in 1967, the year of flower power. I can remember the cake walk which I fairly ok on. Less confident on the waltzer and downright scared on the big wheel. The steam boats were not too bad, provided you didn't grab a seat at the end which, of course, I made the mistake of doing. Never been one for too much danger me - prefer to stay with the dodgems and flat ground. 

The old steam engines that provided the power for some of the rides were great as were the large organs (ooh matron!).

Candy floss on a stick and I too can remember buying a small bell to show I was into the hippy scene.

The smells and sounds are really what I loved most.

Happy days!

• Upvote 1

Like Steve, back in the sixties the Goose Fair was for me, all about the smells and the sounds. The smell of the diesel exhausts and the hot oil smell and noise from the engines of the generators mixed with the smells of candy floss, brandy snaps, peas with mint sauce. Unlike FLY2 #305 I could not get on with whelks, like chewing car tyres but loved cockles and mussels when you could get them. The music was all about Buddy Holly, Johnny and the Hurricanes and other rock and rollers of the era.

• Upvote 2

Last time hubby and I went to the fair it looked more like a market than the good old fair that we used to know,not for us now thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I always loved Goose fair & bonfire night better than Christmas, used to watch all the rides arriving along Radford Boulevard, then Monday, Tuesay, rape night Wednesday we would just hang around the rides getting moved on upto no good, Thursday for the opening with school (Sidney Pearson Hill) go again Thursday night & Friday afternoon when the school closed for goose fair, Friday night my sister would have to take me with one of her skinhead boyfriends, we would just hang around the rockets until he'd found someone to beat up, Saturday me Mam would take me & me brother the only time we would get to go on a ride, Sunday morning my Dad would take me & me brother we would search for spent air rife pellets & you might find the odd coin, it was dead good cause you could see where all the rides had been with the dead grass & mud.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

My wife and I couldn't go this year so I've been enjoying all these videos of Nottingham Goose Fair that I've just found. The atmosphere is always awesome. I can remember going to Goose Fair with my parents when I was very young and my siblings and I would have our name and address pinned to our coats in case we got lost, haha.

• Upvote 3

As a member of the Junior Red Cross, Manning School detachment, I remember being on duty in the lost children tent on the Friday of Goose Fair. This was possible as Manning girls were given the Friday off due to the noise of the fair...which was negligible but we weren't arguing!

Some children had identification pinned on their clothing, just as you did!

• Upvote 1

Great Movie Michael. Really brought back memories. The last time I was at Goose fair was in 1964. Doesn't look to have changed much. A lot of the rides are still the same.

• Upvote 1

Great video, Michael.  I'll really have to put Goose Fair on my bucket list to see if it still feels the same being there as it did when I used to go in my youth!

• Upvote 1

I used to love going to goose fair.

Always went with freinds. I remember when I was about 17 a freind of mine who used to work for one of the guys who ran one of the the waltzers rides. He lived in Nottingham but was very well know around the city centre and knew alot of the guys who owned rides that came to goose fair.

He used to do some crazy things with those waltzers like doing handstands between the waltzer cars while it was runing ful speed.

He favorite game was kicking the back of the walzter usually with girls in the car   to make it spin faster. Oh boy did he scare those poor girls XD

You dont see the ride jockeys who used to do things on rides like that anymore as elf & safety  would shut them down.

He invited me and about 6 of my freinds to go on the first night and told us to stay late so we did they used to do cheap night first night.

hehe he went round with us and told us to get on just about every ride as they were testing we had spent all our money by about 10pm

From about 11 until 1 am we must have been on 10 rides for free. it used  to close by 12am but still a few people around at 1 am and we all got free rides great times

I can remember my auntie taking me to the fair when I was a kid,there used to be a stall where you bought a ticket,and a model of a peacock(I think)spun round ,if it landed on your ticket number you won .It had really good prizes,auntie always seemed to be winning.Later on I went with my boyfriend and won a basket full of pots,which I gave to my mam....Can anyone remember this stall ? Wish I had a photo.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have some fantastic childhood memories of Goose Fair, my favourite ride was the gallopers, I vividly remember not being able to get my small hands all the way around the brass pole and the thrill of holding on for dear life, I loved it! I now collect and restore antique carousel horses and it is all because of Goose Fair.

I always wanted to win a goldfish in a bag, took years of going before my Mum & Dad would let me get one and I ended up winning 2, I was ecstatic with my treasure. Wonderful how such a simple thing can make you so happy.

Once I got my hair caught up on my sugar dummy because of the wind, Mum tried to yank my hair out of it and scalped me in the process, in hindsight water would've worked better, should've just found a tap!

There's an incredible painting of old Goose Fair in Nottingham Castle, makes me wistful whenever I look at it.

• Upvote 3
On August 26, 2016 at 9:21 PM, Oztalgian said:

Like Steve, back in the sixties the Goose Fair was for me, all about the smells and the sounds. The smell of the diesel exhausts and the hot oil smell and noise from the engines of the generators mixed with the smells of candy floss, brandy snaps, peas with mint sauce. Unlike FLY2 #305 I could not get on with whelks, like chewing car tyres but loved cockles and mussels when you could get them. The music was all about Buddy Holly, Johnny and the Hurricanes and other rock and rollers of the era.

This sent memories flooding back for me, the smells, the music, even the cockles (whelks weren't my thing either) and peas with mint sauce... good old days *sigh*

• 2 months later...

Personally I don't  like fairs but plenty of people do so as long as they cause no trouble I can see no reason to ban them. We get smaller fairs near me but they seem to be well controlled and close at a reasonable time so nobody objects to them being there. 

• 5 weeks later...