• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Stavertongirl  thanks for telling me about the cakewalk being at Goose Fair,  just a quick story Friday night 8th Oct 1965 the following day was my wedding day, any way all the ladies had just had

When I was about 15 my two friends and I decided we wanted to be at Goose Fair when it ended at midnight (?) on the Saturday.  Another friend (Deirdre) and her brother lived up Sherwood Rise and invit

GOSH!!!!  Goose Fair what memories? age 13/15   used to walk down to the Forest from Robin Hood Chase with my  best friend Wendy Husband . each night Monday till Wednesday, What I here you l

I've seen this before in another recent topic, still enjoyable, and a good thing to wake up to. Well done!

• 1 year later...

Wonder if it's still possible to buy brandy snap at Goose Fair. Emily and George from Garden Street went, without fail, to see the fair open on Thursday lunchtime...it was Thursday to Saturday in those days....every year. Emily always bought brandy snap and some kind of round shortcake biscuits from the fair. I've never liked brandy snap because I don't like ginger but the shortbread was nice.  Ay up, big brother Beekay, we're talking biscuits again!

Emily and George could probably remember when Goose Fair was in the Market Square!

Er indoors used to buy brandy snap tubes and fill em with cream cheese, really delicious. To the best of my limited knowledge,  I've  only ever seen Grantham gingerbread on sale in Nottingham. Since being exiled, father in law used to get it for us. Little sis, if you don't  like ginger how come you eat Grantham gingerbread? Another luvverly biscuit for dunking.

Another aside, can't  get potted meat either !

I've heard of filling brandy snap with whipped cream but never cream cheese. Used to love Colwick Cheese from Wealthalls on Radford Boulevard. I don't think it's permitted now. Something to do with unpasteurized milk? We ate tons of it in our house and it didn't do us any harm. Certainly much preferable to this Philadelphia rubbish.

Used to buy the cheese on little squares of tracing paper. Didn't  it have like a skin on it? When 'er indoors was carrying our first son, I  was the one who had the cravings,i.e. Colwick cheese.

Just got back from the fair. Had my candy floss, bit disappointed it was in a bag not on a stick but it had just been spun and bagged, didn’t have the mushy peas though too long a queue at the scouts stalls. 
Watched some of the rides in horror, made me feel queasy just looking at them. No way I would have gone on them at all. It seemed smaller than I remembered, but it has been a long while since I went last time. Enjoyed it, but have a bit of a headache now the music was earsplittingly loud, suppose that shows my age! 

• Like 2

SG., you say you've just got back from the fair. Does that mean they're  open on a Sunday as well? I realise they had altered from Thursday to Wednesday start, but didn't  know it was five days.

Thanks for that Den., wonder if my local Morrisons sell it at Crowborough? Don't  want to do a 28 mile round trip for nowt.

58 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Used to buy the cheese on little squares of tracing paper. Didn't  it have like a skin on it? When 'er indoors was carrying our first son, I  was the one who had the cravings,i.e. Colwick cheese.

Yes, it was a square of greaseproof paper. Sour tasting but went well with cucumber, mum's favourite way of eating it, smothered in pepper - dad's favourite way of eating it or as the filling for savoury choux pastry. Messy but my favourite way of eating it. Wish we could have Colwick cheese back again. Yummy!

Never heard of the stuff down here in the outlands. Used to take great delight in going in a chip shop and asking for pie and mixed with gravy! Just used to get a vacant look. Think the locals would have palpatations if I  asked for Colwick cheese.