I remember Goose Fair being held middayThursday to midnight Saturday at which time the dismantling started. By about 9 am on the Sunday it was all but gone and time for the 'beachcombers' to begin searching for dropped money and other valuables. The interesting aspect of that activity was ruined when metal detectors became commonplace. 

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Stavertongirl  thanks for telling me about the cakewalk being at Goose Fair,  just a quick story Friday night 8th Oct 1965 the following day was my wedding day, any way all the ladies had just had

When I was about 15 my two friends and I decided we wanted to be at Goose Fair when it ended at midnight (?) on the Saturday.  Another friend (Deirdre) and her brother lived up Sherwood Rise and invit

GOSH!!!!  Goose Fair what memories? age 13/15   used to walk down to the Forest from Robin Hood Chase with my  best friend Wendy Husband . each night Monday till Wednesday, What I here you l

Thats what I  was thinking Jonab. Used to take great delight in rummaging through the detritus in that area. If we found a damaged figurine for example, we thought it were buried treasure or spoils of war. I believe  the figures were known as Fairings. Once found a little girl figurine, never found her missing arm though. Never heard of anybody finding money.

Well I did !  smile2

I used to work on Gregory Boulevard and on the Monday following the fair, a few of us would go over and pick up whatever we could find in the grass to donate to Ellerslie House Hospital (next door to where we worked). Most years we managed to pick up a few quid, even though the 'professionals' had been there on the Sunday.

It used to be that at almost any time of year, odd coins could be picked up but that is most likely now over due to these nasty beeping metal detectors. They've taken all the fun out of beachcombing and reduced it to a money-grubbing chore.

Thought you might Fly. Once heard someone had found a wallet, but always thought it was an urban legend. When I  think about it, I  could have only been about 10/11 years old. Nobody thought about much then. Nowadays you can't  go out on your own till your about 16 !

Don't you believe it. You're under a misapprehension there B. Kids of well under 16 are out till all hours in some areas.

Just goes to show, what a sheltered life we lead in the sticks. For excitement we catch our one bus into Lewes and watch the traffic lights change. Hard to believe it's  the County Town, considering some of the bigger towns around.

Historically, it's the most renowned town in the area. Famous for the battle of 1264. It's not a bad little town architecturally either. 

It's  also famous for the bonfire societies that parade through it. Never been down to watch because all the roads are closed from about 3.00pm until verly late in the evening. So if you go down for shopping, you've  got to get out or your stuck there for the night. Looks quite interesting on You tube.

• 10 months later...

I won’t necessarily miss it although if we’re about we do have a stroll down there.  Still a shame though that yet another big event has been cancelled.  Is this ‘herd immunity’ going to kick in soon so we can get some normality back into our lives? 

• Like 1

My mum loved Goose Fair and because of that I have been to the fair every year of my life as she took me as a baby in the pram and as a toddler and I’ve been every year since. Never missed one and now take my grandchildren. I was really ill with a cold one year but still went down the fair so as not to miss it. I can’t say I’ve enjoyed it much in recent years, just not the same. Not this year then.

• Like 1

From where I lived you could walk to the Forest where the Goose Falr was held. Each year from 5 years old till I was about 11/12 my uncle Jim would give us all 10/-  (50p to you young ones)  at that time you could get rides and a bridal doll, it soon change, went down one year had a couple of ride's then my 10/- had gone.

Memories of Goose Fair. At the time before going on to  Hull was one of the biggest in Europe.People would visit from all over England.

2 big wheels together 

2 large swinging Baskets to gether

if you were girls and went on the Waltzer the fair boys would send the bucket swinging round again/again/again and again.

The slde shows

The coco-nut shy.

The Wall Of Death, this ride would go round so fast the floor would drop, and you would stick to he wall

All the stores standing from Mansfield Rd to the bottom gates of the fair

but the best ride of all was!!!!!!  The Cake Walk. many a time have i fallen over  and laughed till I've cried.

• Like 1

Mary, the Wall of Death was motorbikes riding round the cylindrical 'drum'.    The Rotor was the ride where the floor went down and we all stuck' ' to the wall, until it slowly stopped spinning and we slid down.  Wearing a dress was NOT a good idea (except for the people viewing the ride!)

• Like 2

Thanks MargieH I think my brain is turning to mush.

• 2 weeks later...

It doesn't seem 5 mins since you were talking about Goose Fair last year.Shame it's been cancelled but can understand why.I used to love it but haven't been since I don't know when.

Thanks Beeky (I love you to)

Who's Beeky?  ( I just thought Mary Mushypeas was a good name). Didn't have anyone in mind, says he, lying through his teeth.  :rolleyes:

Told u that i can't spell

yes I like the name  "Mary Mushypeas"

Glad I don't live in Germany  as Mushy mean's some thing completely different.

1 hour ago, mary1947 said:

Glad I don't live in Germany  as Mushy mean's some thing completely different.

I think it's spelt differently...     :Shock:

I’ve just googled it as well and have realised that I occasionally use the word ‘mush’ in Romany speak meaning ‘man’ (for example saying: “you alright mush?”)
It’s strange because I’ve only just realised I say it sometimes!!!  Wonder where I got that from.   

5 minutes ago, MargieH said:

I’ve just googled it as well and have realised that I occasionally use the word ‘mush’ 

And you being a Grammar School girl anall ....... !!

• Like 1