• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Stavertongirl  thanks for telling me about the cakewalk being at Goose Fair,  just a quick story Friday night 8th Oct 1965 the following day was my wedding day, any way all the ladies had just had

When I was about 15 my two friends and I decided we wanted to be at Goose Fair when it ended at midnight (?) on the Saturday.  Another friend (Deirdre) and her brother lived up Sherwood Rise and invit

GOSH!!!!  Goose Fair what memories? age 13/15   used to walk down to the Forest from Robin Hood Chase with my  best friend Wendy Husband . each night Monday till Wednesday, What I here you l

6 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

And you being a Grammar School girl anall ....... !!

Common as muck, me..

or maybe I have Romany roots

I love flowers when they’re alive and growing, but not keen on cut flowers.  
......much prefer a living plant in a pot to a bouquet ( or a sprig of heather!)

20 hours ago, Brew said:

I think it's spelt differently...     :Shock:

yes brew I think your right, it's just my brother is married to a German girl and they live over there. Went over to an "Irish Folk" festival once, and they where selling fish n' chips, I asked my brother where were the mushy peas, and he nearly hit the ceiling. "YOU CAN'T SAY THAT OVER HERE"  it's a very bad a swear word. So never did ask again where the "mushy peas were"

• 1 month later...

in memory of Goose Fair late 50s.

Me standing on the thundering rattling walkway round the waltzer, near the speakers, the ear splitting screams of the lasses in ra ra skirts, cowboy hats hanging down their back.

Others I remember,

Tallahasee Lassie, Poison Ivy, Big Hunk of Love. Lots more.

• Like 4

Well done Willow, another blast from the past. Late 50s, 1958 to be exact, I were 15 and at that time we thought we were the bee's knees. Thought all the girls fancied us but in reality, we were all still wet behind the ears.

Thanks for the memory jogger.

• Like 1

@Willow wilson  thank you for posting those songs.  They took me (a little bit tearfully) back to Goosefair when I used to go with my girlfriends.   I may well have been one of those screaming girls on the waltzer.... perhaps I even saw you there .....  we’ll never know!

@Beekay  might have seen you, too - I used to smile at lots of the lads (I was bit of a flirt... not now of course ;))

• Like 1

Great songs, took me back too. I listening to 50s and 60'music with Alexa but I've never heard these with her. I've Shazamed them. Keep 'em coming.

Phil, I reckon being mature’ is overrated (unless you’re a cheese of course)

I still like a lot of the things I experienced when I was a child and teenager....

What’s  the female equivalent of Peter Pan?   and don’t anyone say Tinkerbell cos I’m not at all like her!

• Like 1

Last time me and 'er indoors went to Disneyland Paris, we were on our own so if we had to queue for anything we waited until a family joined the queue and we stood next to the kids, trying to look bored. We did go to Goose fair about 8 years ago, purely on a nostalgia visit with my video camera. Couldn't believe the prices and the noise. But it's never lost it's pulling power. Pity they don't run the big steam baskets anymore.

The master and i went to Disney Land Florida  and Walt Disney say's there's allways a child in you some were. No matter how old you are.

• Like 1

True Mary, when my husband and i went to Disneyland in Florida it was amazing, i felt like a child again. The following year i took my mum and my children. Meeting and having breakfast with all the disney characters was an experience well thought out for children ( and for the child in every adult) I even have a photo hugging Mickey Mouse.

• Like 3

Posting about MM reminded me of looking for photos and sorting them out. Besides seemingly having hundreds of albums we also have boxes and boxes of loose photos, slides , negatives and all my dads photos as he was a keen photographer. Sorting them will probably produce some memories, happy and sad. But here goes.

• Like 1

Hi nonnaB   i agree planing and sorting out photos you will have lots of memories, at the moment i am putting to-gether albums for  my grandson's (3 in all) starting from when they are born to the present day. At the end of each book i have put family phots Great Great Great Grandad and Grandmar, Great Great Grandmar and Grandad  and so on.Then on the very last past I have Painted a tree, with wording, eg, tree's start as a saplin, then  buds,  leaves fruit  then in winter the leaves turn gold, red, that brown. This happens each year, untill exhusted the tree finaly dies. Maybe they are not interested yet but as they get older they will look at the album and say This is my Family.   The computer can not replace every thing;

Your right about Mickey Mouse it was his 60th birthday when we went to Disneyland, there were loads of visitors, but the way it was organised well,  it was brill.

• Like 3

Mary I'm compiling a memory book for my grandchildren. It's a bit different though. It goes through my life with various events and memories such as " at what age were you when, you had your first date, where did you go, how old were you when you first went into a pub, what did you buy with your first weeks wages, how much was it.  " just general questions about life and growing up but filling in many of these questions really brings back memories for me.

Is it worth me digging out my photo of me and Miss Minnie Mouse at D.L.P ? Or maybe I  should just keep quiet.

• Like 1

nonnaB yes it's a good idea at least they will read about  how life was,     

As well as putting the grandson's photos of there travel though life, I am also  writing about my life as i was brought upin St Ann's which the council classed as slums, schools which i attened, boyfriends getting married and up to preset day, 

it was my eldest grandson who gave me the idea. When he was about 9/10 he asked me what it was like whlie I was growing up and where did I live. 

Beekay

Please, please, bring your photos to next meeting so we can have a "Laugh" !!!!! xxxx

• 2 weeks later...

Back in 1990 and courtesy of United Airlines and my frequent flyer points I was able to take the family to Disney World in Florida.

I especially enjoyed Space Mountain ( a roller coaster that is mostly pitch black), Big Thunder Mountain and the Epcot Centre. Having a six year old we had to go on all the kiddie rides and this ear worm has stuck in my head ever since and we could not get her off the spinning cup and saucer ride. You can go on all the rides via YouTube.

Oz, is your clip from YT from Disneyland Paris or one of the others? If not, it's identical to when we went about 7 years ago. Being on our own we used to look for a family with young kids, that way it looked like we were part of the group. We used to stand next to the kids and look vacant :rolleyes:, it always worked.

I loved ‘It’s a Small World’ ride.  
First time we went to Disney Florida our youngest was 4 or 5 years old.  We queued to get on Thunder Mountain, he got on the ride first, followed by the three of us. Just as it was about to start he climbed out the other side, too late to grab him we had to pray he was standing well back as the train whizzed around.  When it finally came to a halt he was standing on the same spot smiling at us and said he was frightened to go on that ride.  
It was par for the course with that kid, he dashed off away from us at a Point to Point meeting and he disappeared at a Laser Light Show in the middle of Leighton Buzzard.  When he was just 2 years old he got in a lift in a Cyprus hotel lobby, pressed the button, got out on the wrong floor but was at the correct room door of that floor.  He was always found again safe and well but gave us stressful times ...... still does as a matter of fact, and he’s 41 now.  

• Like 2

We took our grandson to Disneyland CA when he was coming up to 4, thinking he's going to love this.  First thing we took him on was Pirates of the Caribbean.  What kid wouldn't like this? This one, he hung on to the seat in front like it was a white knuckle ride. OK, we'll try something else, A Small World. It is the most sedate ride imaginable. He screamed the whole way round. We were with a group of friends,  so after that ride, one of us had to stay with him while everybody else did the rides.  He does not take after his mother who will ride anything, the scarier the better.

• Like 4