Hull fair, possibly bigger than Goose fair, is free entry and has both cash and card payments for the rides. Paying cash though may be quicker and simpler in a busy environment like Good fair.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got a balloon from the fair when I was about 8. It was clear printed with green vegetation 'growing' up the outside and had a cardboard fish dangling inside on a bit of string. A week or so after th

GOOSE FAIR It was a dark autumnal Saturday night But in the distance the sky was bright Feint music carried in the still night air As we walked along to Nottingham’s Goose Fair The pavements soon

There was a fishmonger Compo. I remember the son, he was a blonde lad and drove a BMW ........ can't imagine why I remember him!!

After our Goose Fair, all the showmen,roungabouts ect used to go on to Hull. So yes you are right Brew Hull is a bigger fair than Nottm.

12 hours ago, Brew said:

Paying cash though may be quicker and simpler in a busy environment like Good fair.

I disagree, surely a quick tap of a contactless card, watch or phone would be far safer & easier & the showmen will love it, with none of their employees handling any cash, this years Ilkeston fair was rammed everyone was using contactless, I paid my poppy seller yesterday with a swift tap, I've not seen or used any cash for over 2 years. 

There will be no charges to enter next years Goose Fair & no R.I.P. @mary1947 the idea was a means to control the numbers entering due to covid.      

Not having been to the fair for almost half a century I accept what you say RR about payment. The story about crowd control I don't believe especially as Covid passports weren't even a 'thing' when  fencing off the fair was first mooted.

In 1985........took my ''Southern Belle'' there who wanted to know what a ''Cock on a stick'' was........

We took a wander down to the Fair about 4 years ago, it’s only a 15 minute walk for us.   Went on the Big Wheel and took in the sights, sounds and smells and it was ok.  Fairs don’t hold much attraction for us since taking the kids to Disney a few times 30+ years ago, they know how to do it over there.  

Yes LizzieM I to have been to Disney, but I think the point I was trying to get across , WAS that Goose Fair is a Nottingham tradition, and since we are  all members of a site called Nottstalgia  I did not expect a lot of negative replyes