Listergate 1950-60's

Someone asked where the empties were chucked out in the Sawyers, since Woolies built around them... I asked my Mum about it.

Apparently there was another pub on the other side of Woolies, and they and the Sawyers shared a walkway/alleyway that came out on the other side. At first the empties used to be taken out of the front, but it was decided that even if that was done after hours it looked untidy so they came to an agreement with the other pub and rolled them down the alleyway, and eventually stock was delivered up that way too.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was on the Nottingham Facebook page recently and got a massive number of comments. Let's see what happens here.   

Cracking picture, worrabart those lamps on the island?    

Walter Fountain, RR.

Posted Images

Gosh! That brings back some memories, CT. The old C&A stores, Woolworths...remember all those shops. We used to go down by the side of the shop on the right to catch the bus to Clifton to see friends, before the Broad Marsh Centre was built.

I used to hate it down there on a Saturday afternoon. Millions of people and me squashed among them between shops and those railings on the edge of the pavement while buses and trollies were zooming up and down the road.

Know what you mean P/man, it was always a vibrant part of town and had to go with the flow to get to the bus station for the 14 Barton to Ruddington. Used to occasionally frequent The Sawyers after it had been "gentrified" into a Berni. Home Ales never bothered doing that with The Tower!!

I think the "car park" sign points you to the patch of waste ground at the side of Broad Marsh bus station,seem to remember it was two bob or two and six to park for the day, and the Derby sign sends you along Castle blvd.

I was dragged up that road on many a Saturday,in C & A,then British Home stores,then Woollies,then Marks and Spencer,never remember me mam buying owt though,then dragged all the way back down Arkwright street to check out all the shops there before arriving back on Bathley street.

Rog

• Upvote 1

# 36, Cliff Ton, this picture got posted on the MODS Facebook site, closed group for ex- Dungeon Club regulars. Brought much comment......mine was regarding the proximity to Stanford Street (home of The Club) & Sawyers Arms which separated two the 2 halves of Woollies, had my first drink in Sawyers.....

• Upvote 1

A great picture, lots going on and very evocative, most of us must have been up and down there of a Saturday, grudgingly as a kid and more enthusiastically as a teen with money to spend. I worked at the Woolies for a while and used the Sawyers quite a bit. Interesting the railings along the street, I'd forgotten about them, can't remember when they were removed.

There's what appears to be a military ambulance, can't make out what's to the left of it, looks like a large sign across the pavement? 

#39..............aaaaaaaaaaaahh The Towers, such fond memories of possibly the roughest pub in town, only one PC would attend trouble there Tug Wilson !!

The fountain you mentioned was called The Walter Fountain, before it was knocked down there was a social club on the site, can't remember the name of it though, then after it was pulled down it was a car park.  when you came out of C an A's  back entrance there was a café and a pub called The Towers this also lead on to Broad Marsh bus station. The Eight Bells pub was closed down by the police. Looking at the photo I wonder which  number bus it is 43/40/47/ when the buses arrived at the island 43 went left down Arkright St to Trent Bridge and the 40/47 went right down to the bottom of Wilford Road.

Broad Marsh was original slum housing, my mother-in-law used to live down their and often they would move houses in the night as they could not afford the rent, hence the saying moonlight flit. Also the 10 0 o clock horses  use to come round collecting. For young one's these carts and horses use to collect the poo bins.

ps I seem to think that their use to be a statue of Queen Victoria can any member confirm this?

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the photo Cliff it just confirms what I've written.

If you look at the trolleys bus photos that radfordred  member has put on the site you will see picture 52 with the car park. (photos of Nottm)

Correct Mary,there was a statue of Queen Victoria, at the end of the market square/Long row,it is now in the memorial gardens (rock gardens) down the Trent embankment

Rog

• Upvote 1
On 22/01/2017 at 7:40 PM, mary1947 said:

The fountain you mentioned was called The Walter Fountain, before it was knocked down there was a social club on the site, can't remember the name of it though, then after it was pulled down it was a car park. 

That's something I'd never come across before, but I've found a photo of the social club. At least in the 1950s it was called 'The Railwaymen's Club", and was obviously a corrugated tin shed. If you can't place the location, the Astoria - now Ocean - is on the right.

greyfriar_zpszoanawwm.jpg

• Upvote 1

Just seem to remember one more thing before the car park was made and the social club had been demolished was there some toilets? a bit like the one's that used to be in the market square, going under ground.

Thanks Cliff Ton I remember going to the club one Christmas with my brother, can't remember how old we were but we went to see Santa Clause at the Children's Christmas party.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Yes; at one time there were two shop fronts for Woolies, with the pub in the middle. 

You could go in the front of Woolies on one side, walk through the store going behind the pub, and then come out at the other Woolies entrance.