Listergate 1950-60's

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This was on the Nottingham Facebook page recently and got a massive number of comments. Let's see what happens here.   

Cracking picture, worrabart those lamps on the island?    

Walter Fountain, RR.

Posted Images

I think if you're taking the A52 / 453 from town, then you could ignore the island. If you were coming from that direction, then you had to negotiate the island to turn right into Carrington St..... I think !

Looking again, maybe there was road works taking place, thereby necessitating ignoring the island.

I think it’s only in this part of the country that a roundabout is called an ‘island’.  After being away from Nottingham for 30 years, and back for the past 15 years, It’s only ‘Crown Island’ that I call an Island.  Before that I referred to that major junction as ‘Raleigh Roundabout’.  

8 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

Raleigh Roundabout

:Shock: Never heard it called that before, Raleigh Island, Crown Island sometimes hear Jubilee Island? Worrabarrt Potato Island & Kamikaze Island though it's no longer an Island :crazy: (Nuthall Road)  Cinderhill Island, Nottingham Knight Island.

Yes but we had Magic Roundabout near our previous home.   Like I said, they’re called Islands round here but not in other parts of the country.  Although I’m sure somebody will say I’m wrong. 

They are called a lot of things here.  The govt in its wisdom has somebody in planning  who thinks every intersection needs one.  The main road near our  house is a dangerous intersection.  They are talking about a roundabout in a few years.  It needs traffic control now.  I guess someone will have to end up under an eighteen wheeler first.  :angry:

The voice on my satnav, (when I  actually  use it) refers to them as " Traffic circle". Heaven knows what that means. My neighbour hasn't  a clue when I  talk about going round an island'. He said he never knew there were islands in Sussex !!

I've always referred to them as roundabouts, not islands... this was when I lived in the Nottingham area and also since then.   I've obviously heard of the term 'traffic island but never used it.    

As an aside, I remember my dad telling me over 65 years ago that the Ring  Road  from Mansfield Road going towards Wollaton was 'ahead of its time' being a dual carriageway and having lots of roundabouts.  

Some other cities at that time - like Leicester -  just utilised existing roads to create a 'Ring Road '  although this has improved in recent decades.

6 hours ago, LizzieM said:

Those cars are going round the roundabout the wrong way .....

Yes and no, Lizzie. The car is going the right way...coming down Listergate/Greyfriar Gate was actually a through-road, so the island would be on the drivers left. The light van has just exited Broad Marsh and strictly speaking should have gone round the island ( on his right ) to enter Greyfriar Gate. He's nipped across though, ( commercial vehicle drivers for you...lol ).

2 hours ago, Beekay said:

The voice on my satnav, (when I  actually  use it) refers to them as " Traffic circle". Heaven knows what that means. My neighbour hasn't  a clue when I  talk about going round an island'. He said he never knew there were islands in Sussex !!

Even if we exclude small islands in rivers like the Arun, you still have Thorney Island and Pilsley Island ;)

Notty Ash, my neighbour wasn't  referring to river islands, he thought I  was talking about actual islands. Eg, when I said "turn right at the island, then carry on to the next one", he didn't  understand a word I  said. He didn't  realise i was talking about traffic islands, or "roundabouts".

As an aside, the central bit on a dual carriageway, like Valley road for example, I've  always been led to believe,  is called a "refuge island"

• 5 months later...
On 10/30/2019 at 9:54 AM, radfordred said:

Cracking picture, worrabart those lamps on the island?  

EHtMfE5WkAEGI8p?format=jpg&name=large

Just some more info about The Walter Fountain photo 1950 the photo was taken to record the appearance of the area after the removal  of the Walter Fountain. The  octangular  space were once the Walter Memorial Fountain stood which is surrounded by oil lamps. Walter Fountain stood at the junction of Lister Gate with three other streets was built in 1865-6 to perpetuate the memory of the connection of John Walter who was an MP for Nottm.  Mr Walter died in 1847 and his son of the same name also an MP from Nottm  erected the fountain in his memory. The fountain was demolished for the widening of the road. 

• Like 2

The name over the shop on the left,  Custance Ltd, rings a bell, but can't remember what they did. I know you can't see C & A in this picture, not even sure it was there at that time, but a memory just popped in my head. Wasn't it called C & A Modes to start with, not just C & A?

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2019 at 2:12 PM, radfordred said:

:Shock: Never heard it called that before, Raleigh Island, Crown Island sometimes hear Jubilee Island? Worrabarrt Potato Island & Kamikaze Island though it's no longer an Island :crazy: (Nuthall Road)  Cinderhill Island, Nottingham Knight Island.

Leicester has a 'Pork Pie Island' and I wondered why. At that junction there's a round building (Library?) that resembles a pork pie!

On 7/26/2005 at 10:23 PM, mick2me said:

Hello Brian Welcome back.

Can you remember ? WEas there a Cafe on Broad Marsh Bus station?

Yes, definitely was a cafe on BMBS. And wasn't Peoples College also on that site at one time?