My name is Tony Hill – author of If The Kids Are United (‘the working-class Fever Pitch’)

I’m from a Nottinghamshire pit village called Jacksdale, once home to legendary (and infamous during the punk years) music venue The Grey Topper. It’s just been demolished and I’m writing the history of the place.

It seems a bit surreal now that the likes of Bill Haley and the Comets, The Sweet, Jimmy Cliff, Edwin Starr, Ben E King, The Stranglers, The Vibrators, Adam and the Ants, Simple Minds, UK Subs, Toyah, The Ruts (shortly before singer Malcolm Owen died of a drug overdose), The Specials, The Pretenders and Ultravox and many, many more played in a mining village.

Does anyone have any memories of the place?

I saw Edwin (for the first time) at TGT, Jacksdale. Fantastic night. He stood back to leave the whole audience singing SOS. Been a tremendous fan of the man ever since that night. It would have been around 1970.

Carls Fables AKA Carl and the Eidleburgers (Beer Keller, The Meadows). I saw at the Sherwood Social Club, Mansfield Road, and at a Barbecue Dance at Holme Peirpont, again around 1970.

I remember Carl prancing around on stage, a little like Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull).

Swinging his guitar round, he would bite into a capsule and 'blood' would run from his mouth, down his chin on to his chest. The crowds favorite number to which he would remain silent and again let them get on with singing the chorus, "Hi Ho Silver Lining" Yes The Jeff Beck number... After a great perfomance they would end by blinding the audiance with an onstage explosion. By the time your eyes had recovered from the Thunderflash effect, The stage would be totally empty.

I too would be interested in the history of TGT, and any photographs would be greatly appreciated here as this site was created to document changed and changing Nottingham(shire) and memories of the people of Notts, wherever they are now.

Welcome Tony, to the Nottstalgia madhouse!

We look forward to your input

• 1 year later...

Used to go there lots in the 70's. Remember seeing Mudd there, also a group called Light Fantastic and lots more that I can't remember 'cos I was too drunk at the time. Me and my other half used to go across from Brinsley (where we lived at the time) in our little Riley Elf (Aubergine and Winter White, of course). This didn't stop us drinking 'cos the car knew it's way home! (Naughty, naughty!). Mind you by the time we'd danced the night away the booze had left our systems!

Rissy:)

• 8 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

73~75 Drifters, Jimmy Ruffin, Screamin Lord Sutch, Major Lance, Mack and Katie Kassoon, Fable, Madrigal,  Parachute, Slade, Blackfoot Sue, Tremeloes, Mud, JIGSAW(crackers). Plus many many more. Magic times before the punk era! 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I spent some fantastic times at the G.T it’s a shame it closed like it did no where has ever come close to it I remember seeing Freddie and the dreamers ,Paper Lace ,Bitter Suite, Screaming lord sutch ,Rubbettes, Fantastics , Mud ,Light Fantastic, and many more ! I remember the supper dances nights when you paid to go in and saved your ticket to get a small snack of chips and a small pie it was delicious! And the bitter was scotch always served in plastic glasses!! Loved it wish I had taken some photos  inside but no mobile phone then ! Just had problems getting back home because last bus was around ten and from Jacksdale to riddings was a long way !  Great Memories! People love Beverley Ann Smith ! 

9 hours ago, Beverley Ann said:

I spent some fantastic times at the G.T

Welcome Beverley Ann

Wow that brought back a few memories, what were the circumstances of its closure? It also caused me to recall good times at the Festival Inn Trowell too.

Hi there thanks for your reply! I don’t really know the reason why the Grey Topper closed when it did ! I’ve just ordered the book The palace and the Punks ! So maybe it will come to light then ! I never actually went to the festival my brother who was for years older used to go ! 

• 1 year later...

First went in there when I was 15 and just got my first pay packet (Moorgreen TC NCB )Got me yes knocked up there once but still went back on Friday nights. We had to catch two busses to get there and leave a 10:10pm. I remember seeing Paper Lace there and Mud before they got in the Pop charts. Two pints of Tartan Bitter and on the dance floor. Must have stood out a mile with the Doc Martins on. Good times

• Like 1