And another....where's this from?

Original.....the other one of the pair sold for £9K! for last month?

Muggins has the other....

I currently have a replica up on Ebay.

Cheers

Robt P.

post-21-1160667675_thumb.jpg

B) Is the station Crew by any chance ?,,,,It's just that the flat roof reminds me of the time I went to Crew train spotting way back when I was much younger than I am today... :tease:

B) Is the station Crew by any chance ?,,,,It's just that the flat roof reminds me of the time I went to Crew train spotting way back when I was much younger than I am today... :tease:

'Fraid not Den......it is Taunton.

If I were an anorack, I'd bore the gallery by telling you:

Loco' 827 'Kelly' is hauling a train with a headcode of 1A75, which makes it a Plymouth-Paddington working of the 60's or 70's.

She has been repainted into BR Blue, with full yellow ends, from maroon and the D has been dropped from the number....therefore steam power has all gone - so it has to be post '67.

I recognise the station as being Taunton primarily because of the platform awning and the 'phone box by the northbound bay platform......1A75 would also make a routine stop there.

Warships were Western Region loco's (Paddington/Bristol/South Wales/Devon/Cornwall) and their trips to Crewe would very rare - although they were very occasionally seen there, in trips off the Shrewsbury line.

Their names were derived from Royal Naval warships, and 'Kelly' was the ship sunk by the ineptitude of it's Captain, one Lord Louis Mountbatten, who obviously - due to his status - got away with it and some other bu99er took the blame..

But anorack I ain't, so I won't......

Cheers

Robt P.

• 6 years later...

As Bamber rightly says, these a re a scaled down version of the German V200 class locomotive. First delivered to the Western Region in 1958 and all withdrawn from service by 1972. I chanced upon this photo in a book of mine. It shows the same locomotive "Kelly" on 29th August 1970:

Type%252042.jpg

• 1 month later...

A few more words on Warships which were withdrawn very quickly at the start of the 1970s.

They did work regularly into Crewe in the early 60s coming in over the Marches route ( yes that is via Shrewsbury) have some pics somewhere if I can find them.

Diesels inc Warships dropped the D prefix anytime after Aug 1968 but not before - that date was of course the end of BR steam

There are three types of Warships

Class 41

Class 42 Built by BR

Class 43 Bult by North British

Kelly was a Swindon built BR Class 42

D827 Kelly , into service 4 October 1960 Withdrawn 1 January 1972

Cut up 13.10.72 at Swindon

• Upvote 1

Class 41, D601 Ark Royal was the last survivor of the initial batch, it was withdrawn in 1967 and languished in the famous Barry scrapyard until 1980 while preservationists dithered over saving it. It was finally cut up, being considered too far gone to restore, meaning that it spent longer in the scrapyard than it did in revenue service.

Only 2 Class 42's have survived:-

D821 Greyhound now at the Severn Valley Railway and the first ex mainline BR diesel to be preserved in1971.

D832 Onslaught now at the West Somerset Railway.

D818 Glory was originally preserved as the gate guardian at Swindon Works, then in 1985, presumably when the works were being run down, it was taken away and rather controversially cut up.

No Class 43's have survived but the Warship's hydraulic partners, the Class 35's or 'Hymeks' are lucky enough to have had 4 of their members preserved and the Class 52 'Westerns' 7 preserved. No Class 22's have survived, the last one, D6319 was sold for preservation except that BR 'accidentally' cut it up making the class extinct.

Incidentally, following the withdrawal of steam and the introduction of those other Hydraulics, Class 52 ( they never learnt ), the Warships were also used on 'the other route' to the South West, from London Waterloo to Exeter via Salisbury, being replaced by Class 50's in the 70's.

Due to the fact that we used to spend our holidays in Devon in the early 60's, travelling by train from Nottingham Midland via Derby and Bristol, it was the only large class of any BR loco's that I actually spotted in their entirety ! Paddling on the beach at Teignmouth next to the railway for two weeks at a time was a perfect place to see everything.

While non of these Warships probably never came anywhere near to Nottingham in their working lives, the Hymeks were built by Beyer Peacock in Manchester and delivered to the Western Region via the Peak Line through Derby, I recall being on a Firbeck School trip to Derbyshire in 1961/62 and seeing a brand new example come humming along ( hydraulics had a different sound to them ) as we were heading for Haddon Hall, probably between there and Rowsley.

Please take this reply as a tribute to Rob, sorely missed.

when i visited Barry in the late 70s Ark Royal was in a poor state. I went inside and took a look at the engine compartment. Quite impressive it was too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24292321@N02/2368247561/

firbeck, on 30 Jan 2013 - 11:11, said:
"Please take this reply as a tribute to Rob, sorely missed".

Welcome back Pete.

Once again a knowledgeable contribution from yourself.

Yes Rob is greatly missed by all.

The hydraulics were another example of the endearing habit of British Railways (Western Region) considering themselves to be still the totally independent Great Western Railway. (Indeed some people referred to them, tongue in cheek, as the Great Western Region.) But they did make for some variety and interest in a world that becoming a bit boring and same-ish as steam declined and vanished from the main line scene.

One has to say that the demise of the Class 22 was no great loss - they never covered themselves in glory, even in the fairly mundane and undemanding tasks for which they were intended. They often tended to run around in twos, because it gave the possibility that the train would complete its journey, provided only one failed en-route.

The Western Region finally had its wings clipped when Stanley Raymond was sent as the new General Manager. Previous ones had always been "got at" early on, and rapidly "went native" becoming ardent admirers of all things Great Western. Not so Stanley Raymond, who made it his business to put his foot through as many Old Spanish Customs as possible. For example, he deliberately convened meeting to which all of his HQ senior officers were called, for the afternoon of the Cheltenham Gold Cup (to which "jolly" they all usually went by train in a specially added first class coach).

I believe Hymeks regularly worked as far as Leicester Central to take over the two BOMO holiday trains, as Firbeck states they were seen on the Peak line. Recently sold a Hymek slide at Derby, on a passenger heading north. Dont know if that was a service or test train. Rmour has it the odd Western go to Derby too and quickly returned to Brum but as Firbeck says no Warships as far as I know....

While non of these Warships probably never came anywhere near to Nottingham in their working lives, the Hymeks were built by Beyer Peacock in Manchester and delivered to the Western Region via the Peak Line through Derby, I recall being on a Firbeck School trip to Derbyshire in 1961/62 and seeing a brand new example come humming along ( hydraulics had a different sound to them ) as we were heading for Haddon Hall, probably between there and Rowsley.

At least some of the Hymeks (D7000 series) were delivered by means of the Great Central main line - i.e. they would have crossed the Pennines on the Woodhead route, then via Sheffield Victoria down through Annesley and Nottm Victoria and Leicester Central to reach the Western Region via the Woodford - Banbury link. At lunch time - sorry, dinner time - us trainspotters at High Pavement would go down Gainsford Crescent and along to where the main line to Victoria crossed Arnold Road (this would have been in 1961/62 as said) and for a time they were quite a regular sight heading south, sometimes two coupled together.

I'm battling to get on to my Photobucket site, I have hoards of photo's stored on there, but, trying to access it due to changes of e-mail addresses and passwords is doing my head in.

I have quite a few pics of Warships and Westerns on there, plus whatever I haven't got round to scanning yet, but I do have a pic of a Class 22 double heading with a Hall steam loco taken outside Teignmouth, we'd just come over the Devon banks from Plymouth with this combination and I ran down to the seafront to get a pic of them pulling out of the station. I may well have published it on here before, for all you 'Newbies', research my name and you will find a load of pictures of steam loco's and trolleybuses.

Sorry, in a panic today, I'm off (By train) to the Royal Festival Hall later to see Transatlantic Sessions, walking across the foot way alongside Charing Cross railway bridge and viewing London in the night sky is a pretty impressive experience.