Mobility scooters

I'm contemplating purchasing a transportable mobility scooter for my 1st. wife. Can any kind soul offer any sensible advice please.

I will be most grateful for your help.Thank you in advance. B.

Dad had one but he was a 'big' bloke and a stupid driver to boot. Turned it over twice by turning at full speed. bought a three wheeler and did the same. A four wheeler was more stable but he killed it in a week ramming it up and down the kerb, just before he ran down a pedestrian and knocked the doctors receptionist flat on her backside.by driving it into the surgery. 

The portable one he had did not seem that well made, they're all Chinese and could only move on virtually billiard smooth surfaces so look at the build quality. Having said that there are many who get on with them OK. I seriously doubt your good lady will drive the way my dad did so you should be fine if you choose carefully and make you own mind up. Have her test drive (more than one) and not just a five minute spin out side the shop. Go a bit of distance, see how it handles the street drop downs and most important, how stable is it when turning.

Make sure it fits in your car BK, just ask if you want more advice smile2

My mother-in-law used one and should have had a ban, she was nuts when driving it, turned it over a few times but usually when she was trying to get past ‘slow pedestrians’ by undertaking on a grassy bank.   Mind you, she took her car driving test 7 times and never did pass. 

• Like 2

Forgot to mention that, make sure it's easy to fold and that you can lift it!

Beekay    take a look at TGA webbsite  they offer personalised assessment in your home before they recommending the most suitable solution they have pre-owned and new ones. e-mail tgamobility.co.uk freephone 08008048377,

if you are a parkinsons uk member you get 7.5% off and seeing as i am a member i could give you my number and say i have recomended you to them you might just get  discount.  worth trying if your buying.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
13 minutes ago, LizzieM said:

Make sure it fits in your car BK, just ask if you want more advice smile2

That's why I said "transportable".

• Like 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Mobility scooters

Mary1947, had a look on TGA site as per your suggestion. Unfortunately, they all look like tanks. Most of them would require a trailer to transport them and certainly be too heavy to lift. Many thanks for the info. Regards, etc. B.

• Like 1

The lightest ones are the ones that break down into several lighter weight parts and then just slot together when needed.

Bottom half of this article has a few examples and the part's weights.
Typical heaviest part is 15kgs or 2 stone and a bag of gnats in old money,

https://www.careco.co.uk/blog/the-lightest-mobility-scooters-make-travel-easier-with-a-lightweight-scooter/

• Like 3

Be careful if you get the salesman around your house, its a hard sell, once they get a sniff you have some cash to part with you'll never get rid until you've signed up, I rescued an old lady on Graylands Road that asked for my help, k'in gangsters, should be ashamed themselves.

Hire one for a few weeks, see if she gets on with it?

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Saw one of these Omeo "wheelchairs"? at the mid week races.

I was impressed as it handled rough ground, fairly thick grass and transition between grass and paved areas without any issues.

You use your balance to control movement and it is hands free with a range of 50km. Quite expensive and I wonder how long it would take to learn how to control one

(photo from Omeo website)

image.jpeg.10a2fd66ba84a10fceac4c8944a88d81.jpeg

My mum when she went shopping in Scotland used to hire a scooter when I visited her and she thought they were great but when she came to live here we wanted to get her one but she refused saying she didnt like them. " confused" ? So was I.

• Like 1

Hi Beekay attached is a photo of a basic one I brought for my wife, she only uses it for short journeys ,visiting friends etc, it does breakdown into several pieces to go into the car . I have never put it into the car yet but I feel sure it is easy to do.  We only had the basic one as we felt she would not need one for use off the road and for travelling long distances, this one will go for just over 6 miles. The only advice I can give is decide what you need if for, why have one with all the bells and whistles and super speed and travel distance if you dont need it. As someone else said try them for and good distance before deciding also consider second hand as there are some bargains about,

scooter.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you Trogg for your message and picture. Tina and I have discussed this before and she says she just needs one to get around when on holiday for example, like when we come to Thoresby hall and such as Wollaton Park. She doesn't want one for traipsing round the shops etc, she can walk. It's just that she has a problem with balance. I've bought her a 'strollers, which she uses. It has a seat on it so if she needs to sit, there's one at hand. It's also handy if she has to queue at all. Like the one you've got, also considered a 3 wheeler, as they have a tighter turning circle. B.

Be wary of three wheelers they are inherently unstable, ask any Reliant Robin driver!

I somehow don't think she'll be going fast enough Brew. Think I'll fit it with a meter so that she has to put a quid in every 10 minutes.

It's not just speed BK. Approaching a drop down at the wrong angle will see them over or any surface less than flat

Trogg, a bit late in the day,for which I apologise. Can you tell me what the make of your good Lady's scooter is?

Thank you, in anticipation B.