• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not really a bus post, but my dad did the signwriting on a bus destination canvas.  i remember him doing it in our living room on the dining table. It was very long, and came cream coloured. He pencil

Another Butlers Bros coach, this time at Huntingdon St Bus Station

Interestingly, I can only locate one OB being delivered new to Butler Brothers with Duple bodywork and that’s the one in the photo at Huntingdon Street.   They had GAL 249 in 1943 with a Roe body

Some very nice models there BK, is the Gold coach covered in gold leaf, it certainly looks like it is, and is the RAF truck a Rolls Royce, I know quite q few military vehicles from WW1 were Rolls, I like the display cases too

Rog

I'll check out the motor Rog. I made the cabinets from two picture frames I rescued from a school loft. Made the sides to fit the frames then put a back on. This was then attached to the picture frames with a couple of hinges. A ready made door with original glass. One of them I lined with foil, to try and reflect the image.  B.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Beekay said:

I'll check out the motor Rog. I made the cabinets from two picture frames I rescued from a school loft. Made the sides to fit the frames then put a back on. This was then attached to the picture frames with a couple of hinges. A ready made door with original glass. One of them I lined with foil, to try and reflect the image.  B.

they certainly look good, in fact you giving me some ideas of where to display mine now, at the moment they are on a windowsill in the front of the bungalow

Rog

Dead easy to make Rog., whatever size of picture frame you have to hand, that is the size you make. Obviously if you only have a small picture frame, you're not going to get many exhibits inside.  B.

(The shelves are made just like any cupboard shelf. Made mine with straps of 3 ply.)

• Like 1

Very interesting to hear it is a Crossley they made military vehicles from 1914 to 1945 and  have a comprehensive website well worth visiting, also see they made buses the DD 42 so a bit more investigating to do there

Rog

2 minutes ago, Beekay said:

Happy to be of service sir.  B.

The real thing for you BK, picture from the Crossley web pages

15hp-ambulance.jpg

Rog

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Beekay said:

You don't think we're monopolising this thread, do you Rog?  B.

anyone and everyone are perfectly welcome to join in, it's an open forum, Stuart C and Dark angel among others posted some very interesting stuff that led onto other things all interesting stuff, the amount of knowledge on this site is amazing, we are here to learn

Rog

• Like 1
On 11/19/2022 at 8:35 AM, Dark Angel said:

There is a photograph in existence of Butler Bros KNN 875. However, it has been rebodied, no longer carrying Henry Streets craft work. Interesting if @Oztalgian can remember it. The photograph also shows a OB sticking its nose out from behind it.

@Dark Angel has asked me to post this photo of the coach mentioned a few days ago. I'm sure he'll be along soon to explain it all.

IGLdKGy.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks for posting photograph @Cliff Ton. It’s one @Oztalgianwanted to see. Two buses operated by Butler Bros of Kirkby in Ashfield. The main focus is of the Crossley originally fitted with a Henry Street body, however, that has been replaced. There is a Bedford OB to the rear which is the bus @Oztalgianis interested in.

• Like 1
On 11/25/2022 at 5:38 AM, Cliff Ton said:

There is a photograph in existence of Butler Bros KNN 875. However, it has been rebodied, no longer carrying Henry Streets craft work. Interesting if @Oztalgian can remember it. The photograph also shows a OB sticking its nose out from behind it.

I can't remember Butler Brothers having buses like KNN 875. Certainly remember travelling on their OB buses. Livery was light and dark blue. Trying to work out where that photo was taken.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting photo CliffTon. Another Butler Brothers bus from the same period as the other two. It appears to be a half cab chassis with a full body, some were delivered new to their respective owners whilst others were rebodied at a later stage.

Butler Brothers carried out services to local pits and may have kept certain buses for this purpose, (speculation on my part,) as @Oztalgianonly remembers travelling on Bedford OB’s. It’s registration number being KRR 316.

As they carried out seaside & day trips etc. they probably had a decent fleet.

I remember seeing some parked up at Sutton in Ashfield when the colliers used to parade through the streets with their banners.

An addendum: full bodied half cabs were the chagrin of maintenance staff.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, notty ash said:

Another Butlers Bros coach, this time at Huntingdon St Bus Station

Great photo Notty Ash. Thanks for that, I don't recall Butler Brothers running regular services to Nottingham (Huntingdon Street), probably a charter hence the "Private" on the destination blind.

Butlers depot was in Kirkby in Ashfield and for me the fastest way home after a Forest game was either the MGO F3 direct via the Ramper or the Trent to Mansfield out of Huntingdon Street, get off at Larch Farm and get the Butlers bus into Bliduth.