Winston Seely Tailor 1960s

Anyone know of Winston Seely - think that's how his surname is spelt.  His wife and son plus her sister, husband and son Neville moved from Lancashire to Nottingham in 1962/3.  Winston had a house somewhere off the Bentinck Road and I believe he set up his tailoring business from the basement of the house - he was an excellant tailor.

@doodle

Do you have any further information about this family?  I don't recognise the name Seely, but to an extent, the information may fit two children who attended Berridge with me from the early 60s.

The children were of what we would today term dual heritage: Jamaican and white British parents.  They were cousins and one was named Neville. I know they were born in Lancashire. However, their surname was not Seely. I'm not sure whether their mothers were sisters or their fathers were brothers. The other child was female.

On 5/21/2021 at 7:19 AM, Jill Sparrow said:

@doodle

Do you have any further information about this family?  I don't recognise the name Seely, but to an extent, the information may fit two children who attended Berridge with me from the early 60s.

The children were of what we would today term dual heritage: Jamaican and white British parents.  They were cousins and one was named Neville. I know they were born in Lancashire. However, their surname was not Seely. I'm not sure whether their mothers were sisters or their fathers were brothers. The other child was female.

Sorry I don't have much info.  There were black but again I don't know if they were from Jamaica - I've since wondered if they were Windrush folk?   I know that Winston's wife was a nurse and that my mum always referred to her as Nurse Seely, she was a nurse at Wesham Park Hospital Kirkham, Lancashire where my mum was also a nurse.  At the time they had one boy aged about 7 but I can't remember his name.  When we came to Nottingham they all decided to come with us and once my dad had bought our house in Beeston they all moved in with us for a short while.  As we didn't have enough beds myself and the boys and possibly one girl but I'm not sure about that we had to sleep on pushed together T chests that had our belongings in them.  From somewhere mattresses were found for the tops of the T chests.  Once they all moved out we lost touch except for one visit to Winston and family's new home.  They were a lovely family but I do remember that Neville was a bit of a rebel!

The Neville I remember was born in August 1958. His cousin was named Winsome and was born towards the end of 1957.  They were both children of mixed race parents.  Winsome was always beautifully dressed and was a lovely girl. Neville didn't join the school until 1967, later than Winsome. He was quite a hefty lad, good at music and chess. He seemed very quiet and I didn't know him well. I never met their parents.

Possibly not the same family but they were born in Lancashire.

Thanks for the info Jill.  It sounds like it could be the same family - but maybe not the ones that stayed with us.  I don't remember a Winsome but they could have lodged with someone else.  I only remember Neville cos in the short time he was with us he was naughty and frequently got told off but I do remember him being a chubby lad.

We'll possibly never know, Doodle, whether we're referring to the same people. However, my story has a sad ending.  Neville, who was at school with me, died at the age of 22 after he fell from the window of a high rise building.  I don't think the circumstances were ever fully clarified.