I’ve had a couple of emails from Dave Holland recently to the effect that he can log into the site but is unable to post anything. Does anyone have any ideas why, or any work rounds? Dave would appreciate your replies - but he won’t be able to thank you - yet!!

• Like 1

Apple or PC? 

On a PC try the cookie settings, clear the browser cache or a different browser all together. If it's an Apple device... no idea...

• Like 1

What happens when he does try to post ?  Can he type out the text for his post ?    Does this happen only on one device, and does he have access to an alternative  ?

If he's using an iPad, the software update a few  months ago caused problems with iPads which were running older operating systems.

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/19322-new-look/

Strange I can connect to emails and NS but not FB. I can see all postings and comments but no photos and cant see private messages. I know its nothing to do with this group ( before anyone complains) but wondered if it was a common problem on sites not being able to connect. ( Day of rest comes to mind)

16 minutes ago, AfferGorritt said:

Just heard that Dave uses an iPad, about 8 years old - much like mine. 

That is almost certainly the source of the problem. Several other people experienced it after the update. The site simply won't work on old iPads - or only works to a degree. 

https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/19322-new-look/

There's not really a solution, other than buy something new.

I have to agree. I’ve just given my son a MacBook Air M1 for his birthday to replace his older model. I’m very tempted to get one for myself as both my iPad and iMac are getting a bit long in the tooth and I don’t really need both.

I mostly use my PC for my extended (but highly popular  ;)) rants on here.  However.  I had no problem accessing the site from my first Tablet.. which was a £40 unbranded Android jobbie.  Sadly, Mrs Col trod on that one.. so I bought a Samsung Tab A. which is an excellent bit of kit which does exactly what it says on the tin.  Think I paid about £100-150. Can't remember.  My new phone is also Samsung Android and it too accesses this site with no problems.

I currently involved in another thread on another site..which is basically bemoaning the way in which Apple are making repair of much of their kit more difficult.. which is of course the exact opposite sentiment to the 'Right to Repair' movement which is gaining traction. (See here for a discussion)

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/right-to-repair.249463/

Apple, like Linux, is a slightly less versatile way of doing what Microsoft Windows does - in Apples for a lot more money!

24 minutes ago, DJ360 said:

the 'Right to Repair' movement which is gaining traction.

I read some of it, it's loong, and I agree that once we have purchased an item it's ours to do whatever we like with it.  Apple, PlayStation and others deliberately make things impossible to repair purely in the pursuit of profit and I agree that's wrong'

Considering  the right to repair a lot of posts on PFM miss a fundamental point. Built in obsolescence is vital to industry, customers replacing goods with new rather than refurbishing is vital. 

One poster boasts of buying an expensive toaster because he can get spares and it's easy to mend, a toaster for life in fact, but what happens to the manufacturers and workers jobs if we all had one? Would we not be putting a whole supply chain, parts, manufacturers, distribution, retail etc. at risk?

The 'right' to repair as a concept is OK but we have to be careful what we wish for.

• Like 1

I'd agree with that. Right to Repair is ok provided it isn't taken too far. Not being able to repair can result in things being thrown away unnecessarily, but being able to repair could result in no progress, and living with old technology and methods.

As an example - cars. Modern cars are much more fuel efficient and less polluting than their equivalent 30 - 40 years ago. If cars from the 70s and 80s had lasted longer, we'd still be driving round in low-mpg and high-polluting models.

I'll come back to this when I'm not trying to plant out beans.. but I think what we are seeing is a direct conflict between consumerism and  environmentalism. At its most crude..that could come down to breathing.. v having a mobile phone.