Long Eaton - Where?

Driving into Long Eaton last week I noticed a sign that said I was entering Derbyshire (just at the boundary of Chilwell).

Does this mean that all the NG post codes in LE have now changed to DE post codes?

Driving into Long Eaton last week I noticed a sign that said I was entering Derbyshire (just at the boundary of Chilwell).

Does this mean that all the NG post codes in LE have now changed to DE post codes?

Doubtful...

All the Grantham - which is many miles into Lincolnshire - postcodes are NG31....

Cheers

Robt P.

Here in sunny Ilkeston we boast the best of both worlds, a DE postcode with a 01159 telephone STD code. Great for some things but try finding a Derby number in the Nottingham directory...

A !tony!

• 3 months later...

Long Eaton is in Derbyshire - and always has been! However, even before postcodes, the postal address was Nottingham!

Most people from Long Eaton probably identify themselves more with Nottingham than Derby, possibly because of the lace industry.

• 6 months later...

Just thought I would bump this topic and say that not five hundred yards away from me there is a sign that says you are now entering Leicestershire…. Puzzled? You should be.

So where’s Robin gone….?

Bip.

Just thought I would bump this topic and say that not five hundred yards away from me there is a sign that says you are now entering Leicestershire…. Puzzled? You should be.

So where’s Robin gone….?

Bip.

Sawley bridge can do that to you!

smile2

Sawley bridge can do that to you!

smile2

Correct Eric, the sign is just the other side of the bridge that spans the Trent at Sawley, also discovered the other day while walking the dog of which I do a lot of these days because I have been delayed from finishing my bathroom project for the lack of green grout that the River Derwent is a stones throw also from me which 2 has a bridge straddling it with a sign saying Public Footpath 2 Shardlow of which next time I’m in that vicinity I shall venture 2 use, maybe just maybe it will lead me 2 the back of the brewery there.

Bip :Friends:

Den: I believe there is a footpath that brings you out at Cavendish Bridge, and another that takes you into the old "port" area of Shardlow.

Then you can take the road up to Church Wilne - past the old fireworks factory - I remember the day it blew up!

• 1 year later...

I know it was a weekday - 'cause I remember coming home from school and hearing about it. A lady acroos the road worked there, but they had just left when it happened. I see that it is still in use for some kind of chemicals, or summat!

I forget the name of the place at the moment but yes it’s still used to make marine flairs....

Every so often one can hear a siren sound and shortly after a loud bang and coloured smoke so I know for sure they still manufacture there.

Bip.

Yeah they do still manufacture marine flares and other pyrotechnic devices there. It's called PW Defence now. I worked as a Chemist in the lab there for a couple of years before I moved to the US in 2002. They have a big field at the back where they test some of the products. I've spent many a happy hour in that field letting off flares and signal smokes etc.

The great thing about working there was that the river would flood at least once a year and make access to the site impossible. We'd get a few extra days of paid holiday while waiting for the water to receed! :)