Hi, just started building a family tree of my mums family, and getting quite interested in Nottingham history. 

I was born in Nottingham but ended up in Cornwall for many years due to my dad being in the navy. 

Some of mum's family are from St Ann's, Sneinton and The Meadows but the Bee (grandma's maiden name!) hive as my mum calls it is scattered all over the city 

• Like 1

Welcome to Nottstalgia, HockeyMum9.

Oddly enough, I was looking into the maiden name of the lady who was the school Secretary at Berridge Road School for many years, including the time I attended there.  I'm researching Berridge staff.

This lady was born with the name BEE and was from St Ann's. Her first name was Jean A born 27 June 1927. She married Eddie Davies, from Mountain Ash in Wales at the age of 18 in June 1946. They had 2 boys, Evan b.1948 and Howard b 1952.

Jean passed on apparently on her birthday in 2006. Her husband may still be alive.  They lived for years in Aspley but after retirement, moved to Mountsorrel in Leicestershire.

I remember Jean very well. She was universally liked and respected at Berridge. I wonder if she is related to your mum's family?

Welcome Hockymum, you will find theres a lot of info availabe about the areas you mentioned. I too am into family research but every now and again I come across a brick wall so thats the time to have a rest. Ive had come across easy lines and some so difficult  such as when one of a couple dies and the other remarries then he/she dies and in turn remarries and each one produces more children. Complicated? Yes but very interesting. Keep researching and you'll enjoy it. Good luck with your searches.

Sorry AG., just couldn't resist it. I'm a bit short on witty reposts at the moment.  :(

Greetings Hockeymum9, a warm welcome to the fountain of all Nostalgic knowledge. 

• 3 weeks later...

A big "WELCOME"   Hockeymum to our slte 

ps Don't take any notice of the boys post   like Walt Disney says "Boys never grow up" 

Do keep posting 

Hockeymum9 welcome to the font of memories of Nottingham.

Melbourne Road, I remember it well. Wide and tree lined it was always a pleasure walking to Beechdale and back each day. Being help up at the Babbington rail crossing with what seemed to be endless coal trucks. Melbourne park where many good times were spent.

What is Melbourne Road like now? No doubt changed though, probably not for the better.

The police were out in force yesterday when I went past on the bus. Bar Lane end. 

Just a point tho'. The Mrs Bee that I mentioned lived at No 27 which was at the side of that railway line. My fathers sister lived at 25.  All a long time ago in the days when there was a police station on the central reservation.

We had a massive police presence here in the Trent Valley this Wednesday afternoon. About 10 police vehicles, three fire engines along the riverside at Fiskerton and the police helicopter overhead. There’s been nothing about it on the news or on the web. The local grapevine informs me that someone jumped into the Trent.

I well remember the police station on Melbourne Road. Originally, it was, I believe, an air-raid shelter and the the NCB coal engine was a saddle tank 'puffing billy'.

When the trains crossed the road there were no traffic lights (never was) only crossing gates and a single crossing controller who opened and closed the gates by the footpaths. That was it, so simple, and I do not recall any accidents with traffic or pedestrians due to the train.

But then the pace of life was slower, less regulated but happier.

It seems that with the coming of sixties society began to change for the worst, generally with the decline of respect and neighbourliness.

• Like 1

I remember the Puffing Billy when I was a child. My great aunt Lily lived on Reydon Drive and my older sister and I were regular visitors on a Sunday morning. If I close my eyes, I can see all three of us in her kitchen. The radio would be playing Two Way Family Favourites and I seem to remember that we could hear and possibly see the railway track from her kitchen window. In season, she would take us into the garden to pick rhubarb which was all that grew there.  My sister and I then walked back home for Sunday lunch.  Seems a very long time ago now!

22 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

.... in the days when there was a police station on the central reservation.

44 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I well remember the police station on Melbourne Road. Originally, it was, I believe, an air-raid shelter

I didn't know the area then, but I assume this is it in the 1950s. The large building on the right is the Commodore, with the library opposite.

ubjhEUu.jpg

• Like 1

Didn't that railway line also cross Bells lane, on it's way to Babbington colliery? I seem to remember where it crossed Broxtowe lane, it was by bridge, over the road. Where did the line go to when going away from the colliery?

The single line railway went all the way down to Babbington Wharf on Wollaton Road running 200mts east parallel with Western Boulevard.

The line serviced coal deliveries to Newcastle colliery before its closure subsequently delivering coal to Newcastle wharf for local coal merchants.

This line crossed the LMS route from Nottingham Midland to Trowel just north (200mts) of Western Boulevard road bridge at Beechdale Road.  

With the construction of Western Boulevard the line ran to, and terminated at, the corner of Melbourne Park adjacent to Western Boulevard on a tree lined embankment.

There's more information regarding this mineral line on this site.

I have a file showing the crossing at Western Boulevard. Unfortunately it exceeds 36.44 kB's.

Jill,

I spent my earlier years on Nuthall Road. Our house was on the right of Didcot Drive by the metal railings facing the Newcastle Colliery's deputies cottages opposite across Nuthall Road. Our the back garden faced the back gardens of the houses on Reydon Drive.

• Like 1