39 minutes ago, Cliff Ton said:

In the northerly direction it went over Broxtowe Lane and under Bells Lane, then to Cinderhill Colliery.

CT, I don't remember the line going under  Bells Lane. As a bus driver on the 55 service I can remember seeing the white crossing gate on the left, when coming onto Bells Lane from  Cinderhill Island. The bus stop was a few yards up from the crossing. This was circa 1965.

@Alpal

My great aunt Lily lived at 49 Reydon Drive until her demise in 1967. At one time, her older sister, Rose, lived next door. They were both widows. Rose died before I was born.

Many years ago, I worked with a colleague who grew up on Didcot Drive. Her surname was Varney. She is now deceased but would have been born in the 30s.

28 minutes ago, Beekay said:

CT, I don't remember the line going under  Bells Lane. As a bus driver on the 55 service I can remember seeing the white crossing gate on the left, when coming onto Bells Lane from  Cinderhill Island. The bus stop was a few yards up from the crossing. This was circa 1965.

It didn't go under Bells Lane. I remember the same gate as you and the steep bit of hill going up from what was then a tiny Cinder Hill Island. (Trolleybus poles always coming off).

It's got to be early Jill, look at all the empty spaces which are now taken up by housing.

Screenshot-20210619-155522-Earth.jpg

I see the gap where the crossing gate was, is still there. Going up Bells Lane from Cinderhill traffic circle.

I reckon 1930s..............where there is a space near the left arrow is.......there was a Vernons store.in the 60s....and think in the 50s it was a Marsdens.........

Sometimes, as children, we'd go to play tennis on the courts near the bowling green in the bottom right corner. If it was a hot day, there was ice cream from the shop across the road which is still there, I believe, but no longer a shop.  Sometimes, we'd walk up Broxtowe Lane to an aunt's house on Paignton Close.

On that corner where the ice cream shop you mention Jill......believe it or not became a Fine Fare........smallest one i ever saw.........

It was a newsagent/confectionery shop for years when I was growing up, Ben.  Last time I passed there, it was some kind of business premises. I think the tennis courts had gone. All changed and not for the better!

It's fascinating looking at all the green spaces in Stuarts link. Just about make out where Babbington and Cinderhill collieries are, which is now Premier Inn and Phoenix Park. On Cinderhill Road, immediately passed the railway bridge, used to be another entrance to the pits shunting yards and where we used to garage our NCB xray unit, when not in use (between jobs).

Not relevant but thought I'd just chuck it in.