Well we have gone around most of the Nottingham/ Nottinghamshire pub's that have closed or had a name change, but what about the entertainment?  The Singers?

1./ Very Good all rounder singer

2/ Good singer

3/ Singer who would get everyone singing.

4/ Person who thought he/she could sing  (sharp exit to loo's)

5/ Not fogetting him/her who after a few drinks would hang on to the mike like it was a £50 note (you know the kind I mean)

Well thats got the singer's out of the way.  this topic is what songs can you remember? to give every one a chance can we limited it to just 3/4 a member.

1/ A little Wooden Hut

2/ On Mother Kelly's doorstep

3/ Goodbye   (I'll join the Legion, that's what i'll do)

• Cliff Ton changed the title to Pub's Singers

Oh Mary ,do Saturday night 'sing songs' still happen? 20mins. ago I could give several but click on 'reply' and my minds a blank, Uncle Len could give a good rendering of "If you were the only girl in the world" whilst my mate ,Jack Thompson, had the ladies attention with "That old Black Magic". Dad's contribution was usually sung outside after about 20mins. saying "Good night", ' It's just a little street where old friends meet

I'd like to wander back some day etc!

Ah!!! wouldn't it be nice albert just to go back for a night. My dad was one of these pub singers, when I was nee-high to a grasshoper, When dad got up to sing I u"se to hide in the loo's. Getting older and listening to him sing he was a very good singer, he used to sing like David Whitfield. 

When dad passed away, we gave each person an hankerchief as they ented the crem "what's this for they asked"  "you will see "I said   when it came to the end of the service the song "Good-bye-ee  played" and everyone started waving there hankie's.   This was one song that dad sang really well.

Back to the post.

Knee's up mother brown

it's a long way to Tipperary

Run Rabbit Run 

White Cliffs of Dover

• Like 1
  • Cliff Ton changed the title to Pub Singers

I suspect I am too young and missed the 'Golden Age of pub singers... though one who sticks in mind may also have been known to Mick (Trogg) and our Benjamin.  Namely, the late 'Johnny Carlisle'  from Southglade Rd , Bestwood.  Johnny was afflicted with a hunch back deformation of some sort, but he didn't let it stop him donning a Tux etc.. on a Saturday night and belting out very creditable renditions of Slim Whitman songs in the Deerstalker.

• Like 2

Can't say i recall him Col, but i only went in the ''Deerstalker'' a couple of times..mid 60s..didnt like MB Beer..much preferred 'Shippo's'' at the Heathfield or 'Home Ales down the Tavern....remember back room of 'Heathfield' where all the old 'Teds'' went......and sang even Danced...always recall 'Dickie Bird'' off Gainsford close on the 'drums'' and a certain 'Stan Lownes' on the ;Mike............magic times......Although it was considered 'Rough' by some..i always found the clients a happy crowd.....who loved a good sing..song...........

• Like 2
11 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

didnt like MB Beer..much preferred 'Shippo's'' at the Heathfield or 'Home Ales down the Tavern.

M&B Brew Eleven and Home Brewery 5 Star certainly but I cannot remember having any Shippo's beer that I could finish, ugh awful stuff. Luckily only one Shippo's pub in our village.

• Like 2

Shippo's grew up on it......nicking a few sips from Grandma's jug on the way back from the Beer-off.......if you were from Bulwell or Basford ''Shipstones'' was more or less compulsory.....with 'Home ales'' a close second..............remember it being 1/6 per pint...or 7 and half P in new money.....eeh they were 't days...........

• Like 1

Happy days with Happy people....Masons Arms Basford.....Heathfield Arnold road....Park Tavern or Standard of England,, Basford again..50s to 80s......No Hot drinks..No food...No Kids...place filled with smoke and Laughter....

Plus everyone dressed properly..........

Pint of Bitter and a Babycham please Duck......

Cherry?

Yes please two..

Thats 10 bob Duck..

TA Duck ev one yasen.....

Cheers ,,i'll ev half........

• Like 5

We lived not far from the Home Brewery, just off Thackery’s Lane. The smell drifted over when they were brewing. That was my favourite beer and even when we moved out into the countryside in ‘62 our local was a Home Brewery house. Shipstone’s had a very distinctive flavour and had very much an acquired taste. A few years ago we visited the micro brewery at Old Dalby in the Vale of Belvoir. They claimed to be able to brew Shipstones to the original recipe. It didn’t evoke memories from me but it did render me incapable of driving!

• Like 3

The late great Mrs Mills........believe she had a fairly local connection...........with a Pub in 'Hathern'' just over the border in Leicestershire on the A6.........

• Like 1
2 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

a few sips from Grandma's jug on the way back from the Beer-off

Yes Ben, my grandad was a Shippo's drinker and like you as young un I was often sent up to the local offy for a jug of Shippo's bitter. Tasted it once, never again.

• Like 1

Not just me then! I always thought it tasted of onions. When I was in the accountancy profession Shipstone’s was one of my firm’s clients. It was a very tradition brewery back then with wooden vats and men in leather aprons. The office floors were highly polished parquet and it was difficult to walk without slipping over. Any marks we put on the books, which were written in copperplate handwriting, had to be in ink, not ballpoint. At 11.00 every morning a crate of ale was delivered to the audit room. I remember seeing a foal that had just been born in the brewery stables. The Home Brewery were another of our clients. It was said that the dirty washing water from the Daybrook Laundry across the road, which was in the same family ownership, was pumped over and used in the beer making. In later years I used to see Hordern Farr, who was the MD, in the Coach and Horses at Thurgarton. He lived round the corner on Beck St. at the Old Vicarage.

• Like 2

I know it won't happen now and i know the Bar is fiction.......but if ever i had gone Stateside'' i would have loved to have sat and had a smoke and a drink at this Bar.........

• Like 2

Back in 1978, whilst I was working at Tilmanstone colliery, xraying the miners, we were staying at a BnB in Deal. There was a pub there that we used at night and it was the mirror image of Cheers. To their credit, the staff and locals were just as friendly. Second night there was a darts match and I was invited to join the after match eats. They even let me score. I've never forgotten it as it so much like Cheers.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1