Hi Bamber, your picture certainly looks like Canning Circus, between Derby Road and Wollaton Street, where Boots used to be (then became different eateries). However, I could be wrong, no doubt somebody will correct me if so.

I'd agree at first sight it looks like the top of Derby Road where it comes into Canning Circus. But I don't recognise the kiosk/shop on the left named '.....house agents'.

Back in the early 1900s there was a cab shelter/toilet in that area. https://area4history.wordpress.com/2008/04/10/canning-circus-1899/  One of the buildings in that link is similar to the one in the mystery photo, but I don't think it's the same.

The picture of the copper is much further towards the "Ben Bowers building" than the cab shelter. I am going to check Kelly's Directory for Warehouse Agents circa 1900 and a bit earlier.

Another thought, could it possibly be somewhere off Woodborough Road? Can't think of many places as steep as that.

It is indeed Derby Road, opposite the Ben Bowers building. The shop with horizontal “slats” is the Warsaw Diner. The e-cig store is a barber, and the blue shop the Big Issue offices.

Not sure how to post a Google maps street view!!

lEc8DG8.png

Not convinced, as CT pointed out the roof line doesn't match, nor does the ground line it's far too steep... Is it even Nottingham?

Edit: The building opposite the Bowers site is four storey..

• Like 1

All the buildings along there have a bay window on the first floor; there are no bay windows in the original photo.

And if that is the location, where exactly was the "...house agents" building situated, relative to everything else ?

According to Wright's Directory there was a "Branch Post, Telegraph and Money Order Office" at the junction of  Wollaton Street and Derby Road: which would fit. As for the building with the gabled roofline I believe it post-dates the photograph.

That's a good photo of yourn Brew, did you stand in the middle of the road to take it. Risking life and limb and tripod.

I thought about it BK, then thought sod that for a games of soldiers and took it from Google Earth...    thumbsup

2 hours ago, bamber said:

According to Wright's Directory there was a "Branch Post, Telegraph and Money Order Office" at the junction of  Wollaton Street and Derby Road: which would fit.

Looking on old maps, that is the Boots/Ben Bowers building (or at least the same location). It was constructed in 1877 and it's definitely not the building in the old photo.

According to Wright's Directory for Nottingham (1900) there is no branch of Boot's at the location, but in the 1910 edition the "Branch Post, Telegraph and Money Order Office" is no more and there is a Boot's at 128 Derby Road.

Are we sure that the "Ben Bower's" building was built in 1877?  Or is that received knowledge?

If you enlarge the original photo you can see that the e-cig store is called Grey Haze and can just make out the word “Diner” on the shop below. Google “Grey Haze e-cig store Nottingham” and you find it was at 97 Derby Road. Searching Google Maps for 97 Derby Road gives you a street view which matches the original photo. 

The Warsaw Diner is number 93-95 and is still there I believe.

With the greatest respect AG. It's not the latest picture that's under discussion, but Bamber's old picture which is causing the Enigma. 

Bamber, I don't, know about Wright's directory, but I can vouch for a Boots chemist being at the top of Derby Road, because I had to take prescriptions there when I were a little lad. My sister in law worked there when it were a restaurant.

I don't think any of were there circa 1900, so we can't be sure.

On 6/9/2021 at 7:29 PM, Cliff Ton said:

I've looked at it a bit more, and I'm now pretty certain it isn't Canning Circus. The roof line on Derby Road doesn't match.

tJr8FEs.jpg?1

Looking at old OS maps, the block of buildings from the middle of the modern photo back to the rear of the white van seem to have been rebuilt sometime in the 1880s or 1890s. Previously all looked (in plan) like the 2 shops still existing just beyond the white van, which look very similar to those in the original image. Maybe when the other side of the road was remodelled, someone decided to build more impressive buildings?

I agree it's possible.

I think the other problem is the building on this side of the road - "house agents". I can't make that match the front corner of the Ben Bowers building; especially with the steel railing along the side.