I wonder if the Ben Bowers building projected further into the Circus than what was there before. Comparing the 1874 photo with the position of Upper Talbot St on later maps, I suggest this is possible. UTS seems to come in at more of a right angle on the photo than in later times. Maybe the whole area was redeveloped to some degree, including the angle of Upper Talbot St?

Surely, I would have thought Notty Ash's old picture would have clinched it. Well done N.A. Got me convinced.

• Like 1

Nah!! What we need is some bugger who were there in 1870 or thereabouts !! Am I right or Wot,!

13 hours ago, notty ash said:

What we need is a map from the 1870s, or thereabouts!

The problem is that the big change happened in 1877, and the detailed online maps don't go back beyond the 1870s. This is 1840s and might be the best you'll see for what the area looked like pre-Ben Bowers. Sion Hill is Canning Circus.

jjcB6rj.jpg?1

• Like 1

It’s been solved; not by me, but by a third party on another site.

It isn’t Nottingham; it’s the South-East London suburb of Anerley, which I’d never even heard of. All the buildings in the original photo are still there and basically unchanged…including the terrace on the right; the building on the left (which isn’t quite as small as it first appears); even the old metal railings have survived….and some very distinctive stone carving on the corners.

3o8pZyE.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1