Help needed - roofing

Can anyone recommend someone to sort out the roof on my side room. It is Perspex (I think) sheets and hasn’t been finished off properly ( what a surprise in this house) and I have to keep knocking the “rods” between the sheets that hold them in place back in as they continually slip out so it needs something to hold them in place. It needs guttering as well as the back wall gets damp from the water coming off the roof making the whole room damp. Also I think the seal between the house and the roof needs some attention. 

RR is so right.  Spotted a couple of guys working on roof/guttering, etc. of a house across the road.  After observing their antics over several days we started referring to them as John and Gary (Wayne and Cooper).  They told the neighbours (an elderly couple) that debris had damaged the (plastic) guttering and it all needed replacing.  A couple of days after they had done that it rained and the new guttering proceeded to leak at the joints.

They jet washed the pitched roof while standing on it (no crawl ladder).  I'm no roofer but I do know that a wet roof is more slippy than a dry one!

Next they procured a uPVC back door to replace a perfectly serviceable uPVC door but the new one was 3" too wide.  They proceeded to remove 3" from the brickwork (not particularly neatly) with a disk cutter!  They obviously didn't realise that wasn't going to work as it was cavity wall and the inner skin had kitchen cupboards right up to the reveal.  They put the old door back and bodged some wood and uPVC fascia to fill the 3" vertical gap.  Neighbours eventually told them where to go.

@Stavertongirl you probably need a handyman (person) rather than a roofer.  Be wary of things like TrustPilot and Check a Trader.  Rogues have ways and means of attaining ostensibly good reviews.

• Like 1

A leaking flashing and damp walls... house insurance and their approved tradesmen?

No it isn’t an insurance job, it is a case of whoever did it did not finish the roof off properly (no guttering etc.) hence the damp wall. Par for the course in this house unfortunately. 
Will have to ask around and see if anybody knows of someone who can do the work for me.

• 3 months later...

Finally got a quote for the work on my side roof (hooray). After the original person who quoted passed away suddenly a week or so before it was going to be done I was given a recommendation for a local firm.Rang them and they came out to do a quote. It isn’t an enormous job and I got the feeling they weren’t really interested, they didn’t take any measurements etc. just had a look and said they would txt me a quote. I waited a week, rang them and they assured me they were going to do a quote but had been “busy”. If they weren’t interested I would rather they said instead of messing me around. I did notice they are putting themselves forward for jobs on another local website I go on when people are asking for recommendations for extensions etc.  Still haven’t heard anything a week on from that phone call.

I had another firm recommended to me by someone who has rented properties and uses them. He also let them know I would be ringing. So they came out yesterday morning, measured etc. talked me thru it and I got a quote yesterday afternoon. It is now a bigger job as I have asked for a repair on my conservatory roof to be included as well while they are here (so the other builder missed out not only on that but on other things I want doing in the house but then they would have probably have turned their noses up at those as well). 
So now hopefully I can cross those two jobs off my list. The quote is a bit more than I really wanted to pay so the decoration of the side room will have to wait a bit but at least it won’t be damp.

• Like 2

A relief no doubt for you. A similar thing happened here a few years ago. We had a wall built around the pool when it was installed about 4 yrs ago. A cousin who is a builder needed the work so he came to do what was neccessary. The wall faces the road so it needed to be safe and sturdy. We asked that he filled blocks with cement and insert iron rods. Yes he said hed done that. Over the years the wall showed signs of cracks and pieces of cement missing. Cousin was called to rectify it, we waited and waited and after so many excuses we found another builder by chance. We had an old settee still in immaculate condition. Advertised it and he came with his father. They bought the settee and chatting afterwards it turned out he was a builder and if we knew anyone in need could we let him know.  We thought he was desparate but we asked him to redo this wall. He is brilliant, he knocked the wall down ( no cement and no iron rodsfound) in his weekends off and rebuilt it. He was disgusted that the wall had no rienforcement whatsoever. Iron rods and cement sorted and he gave us an idea for the wall which we said was ok. Hes clean and tidy as much as a builder can be. He lives quite a way from us so weve given him and his assistant lunch to save time. Hes been so good that hes now going to do some work for my daughter. He had a full time job so only could work at weekends but another person had taken over the firm and he didnt like him telling him what a builder could do. So notice given with immediate release and within 3hrs hed had a couple of offers of work. He is one that wants to work and make a good job, he has a young baby and a disabled sister ( who he bought the settee for). Anymore work we need he'll be the first we call.  The cousin is in for a shock we are asking for damage and bad workmanship. Dont suppose we will get it but relations are the worst people to ask to work. 

10 hours ago, nonnaB said:

Dont suppose we will get it but relations are the worst people to ask to work. 

Glad you got it sorted nonnaB but in all things business beware of the 'Three F's"

Family,  Friends  and  Fools

• Like 1