Last night when my husband came home he said he'd been talking and having a good laugh with some Australians. Apparently they live or have a house in a nearby village. Anyway as the conversation went on it became a bit closer to home. They were from Nottingham, Basford in fact. Not having a lot of time with them ( busy restaurant) he didnt find out any more about them. Although this area has a lot of tourists who come for the food and wine I'm always surprised when I hear English and American voices. Then I think where have they heard of this village. But there again we have an " adopt a vine" scheme that has been very popular. Buyers carry out all the needs of the vines during the year and reap the benefit of have free bottles of wine in May the following year at the wine festival. Unfortunatley unable to hold it last and this year due to Covid restrictions.

• Like 3

This Australian couple lived in Perth and was telling my husband that although they loved Australia they had reached a stage in their lives that they reached a decision to return to Europe. They missed the culture and scenery of Europe but missed the restaurants and beaches of Australia. They have 3 guest houses here apparently.

I have no desire to return permanently, I don't think I could stand the winters. I do have one wish though, that is to return one more time to seen family that I have re-established contact with after decades and see the places of my youth and the beautiful countryside that is the UK. Bugger this Covid, it is robbing me of what may well be my last visit before I get too old to do what I want to do.

• Like 1

I'm a bit nearer than you OZ , I love it here in Italy although the winters are so cold but we have sunshine nearly all the time( and fog and rain) we hardly have any wind. I dont think I would like to return to UK permanently but a visit now and then wouldn't go amiss. The only thing I think I miss are the supermarkets that seem to sell everything under one roof. Its only in the last 20-30 yrs that theyve been popular here. Local shops are gradually disappearing. If I didnt want to take my car into the city centre I could go on the bus. There are buses here in the village but with long hours between so if you miss one you may as well go home and come back later..

• Like 1